Any lawnmower experts out there?

BarrythesnoUT

Nico Era
I'm sick of the same old crappy mowers that break downafter just a few seasons of use. I'm looking into commercial grade mowers but I don't really know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions about what I need to be looking for in terms of specs?

I use a gravely 48" walk behind with sulky. 18 hp Koehler command engine. Great mower. I am a residential man only meaning I one cut my own grass. But I bought it 3 years ago and I will never by anything but a walk behind again.

Hustler for control and striping
Bad boy or Dixie chopper for toughness
John Deere all around

There use to be a brand called ferris. I don't know if they are around anymore.

What does your budget look like? That is the most important question. You will get a hundred opinions on what people think are the best. I use nothing but Scags. My buddy owns a local property management company and only uses Exmark. Neither one of us would touch a John Deere. And there are a lot of mowers out there that are over hyped and over priced. Fact of the matter is that any commercial mower you get for simple personal use will be just fine. I would caution against getting a fixed deck walk behind if your yard is very uneven.

I've got a Honda that I haven't maintained and it's a rock.

This. I have a hand-me-down push Honda that I got from my Dad. It is at least 15 years and probably more like 20. I only service it every few years, and it just keeps running. They probably don't make them like they used to.

Just replaced a Craftsman 6.0HP 22" push mower with a Honda HRX 217VKA. Jury is still out as I've never been a fan of self propelled mowers.

I have a question though if anyone can answer it. The Craftsman stopped running properly, it only stays running if I lean down and pump the primer otherwise it's like it's not or can't pull gas. It's very strange and I've never had that problem before with that mower. Any ideas?

Line going to the carburetor is clogged up or the carburetor is gummed up.

Pretty easy to tell take the line loose coming from the gas tank to the on off valve. If it is running there take the line off after the on off valve after you put the first line back on. If it is flowing there it is the carburetor.

Also, some have a little filter check that also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What does your budget look like? That is the most important question. You will get a hundred opinions on what people think are the best. I use nothing but Scags. My buddy owns a local property management company and only uses Exmark. Neither one of us would touch a John Deere. And there are a lot of mowers out there that are over hyped and over priced. Fact of the matter is that any commercial mower you get for simple personal use will be just fine. I would caution against getting a fixed deck walk behind if your yard is very uneven.

I'm wanting to spend around $6,000-$8,000. I have a buddy at work who bought a Scag and loves it, but he's in for a lot more than 6 and has a lot more to mow than I do. I'll probably pick up a couple of yards on the side. My main goal is to buy something that will last me as long time with proper maintenance and cut down on mowing time.

You never mentioned how much you're cutting, and what size/type of mower you're looking to get. But, for that budget, you can't go wrong really. Anything you read is basically going to be personal preference (Toro, Exmark, Bad Boy for me). All across the board, if I'm not on a diesel, I do prefer the Kawasaki or B+S powered mowers over Kohler.

Just shop around and see what you personally like. Keep maintenance in mind... some are easier to work on than others, and replacement parts are more expensive for some brands.

You never mentioned how much you're cutting, and what size/type of mower you're looking to get. But, for that budget, you can't go wrong really. Anything you read is basically going to be personal preference (Toro, Exmark, Bad Boy for me). All across the board, if I'm not on a diesel, I do prefer the Kawasaki or B+S powered mowers over Kohler.

Just shop around and see what you personally like. Keep maintenance in mind... some are easier to work on than others, and replacement parts are more expensive for some brands.

My yard is about a half acre. But, like I said, I'll more another couple of yards on to of mine and my mother in law's. I'm looking mainly at zero turns. Not really into the walk-behinds; I've got a hill in my back yard.

My yard is about a half acre. But, like I said, I'll more another couple of yards on to of mine and my mother in law's. I'm looking mainly at zero turns. Not really into the walk-behinds; I've got a hill in my back yard.

Toro, Exmark, Hustler, for what you're doing, basically small potatoes, personally I'd lean towards the Toro as far as bang for your buck, they're on par with the others for residential duty.

I mow 1.5 acres not all level and use a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle, does a great job. What I would have preferred is a Grasshopper with the forward floating deck. My dad has one and I don't think you can get a better cut especially on uneven ground.

a friend of mine has a John Deere that he bought about 10 years ago,mowing a little bit more than you are and hasn't had any problems with it,just doing routine maintenance

his dad had one that lasted 20 years or so,which of course went far above routine maintenance

I have a cheap Toro push mower and this is the first time I have enjoyed mowing. Not in the same league with your requirements but if their cheap stuff cuts this well the nice gear should be work a real look.

Pay close attention to what Toujours Prêt has to say, he knows mowers. TP has advised several of us on which mower to purchase over the years.
I am not saying the other posters do not know mowers, I am just saying TP is solid in his mower advise.

Pay close attention to what Toujours Prêt has to say, he knows mowers. TP has advised several of us on which mower to purchase over the years.
I am not saying the other posters do not know mowers, I am just saying TP is solid in his mower advise.

It's going to depend on the toro he gets. The lower tier units are built cheaply and are marketed for folks that shop at lowes and Home Depot.

Imo exmark, John Deere, kubota, and hustler.

It's going to depend on the toro he gets. The lower tier units are built cheaply and are marketed for folks that shop at lowes and Home Depot.

The Toros at Depot are straight Toro's just with steel decks instead of the cast aluminum. Still quality machines. The Z Turns they sell are also quality, with the Kawi, just not as refined as the higher end models.

The Toros at Depot are straight Toro's just with steel decks instead of the cast aluminum. Still quality machines. The Z Turns they sell are also quality, with the Kawi, just not as refined as the higher end models.

Are the spindle assemblys steel or pot metal?

That's why I quit using grasshopper. Their decks are junk. My FIL bought his toro from the dealer. They advised him on the "other" toro units.

Anything I buy, I'll be buying from a dealer from now on. No more chain shopping for mowers.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back