finishing college

BAJAvol

14 Beers Deep on the Lake Somewhere
Tonight, I completed my last final exam, presented my last presentation, and said farewell to the place I have dedicated my life to since transferring there two years ago. Its a reality shock. My question to you guys, what next? Its so weird to know that I am no longer in school. I worked hard. Im graduating summa cum laude. And for a man who studied accounting, I am extremely proud of that. Now I will participate in grad school, but I am researching schools heavily before starting. I also hope to land a job that will help with expenses. I did very well working my way through. Only around $7,500 in student loan debt that I will begin paying off immediately. I already live on my own. I know this is a weird thread, but how did you guys spend the next year of your life after college? Did you find a better job? Do you actually have leverage in the job market? Its bittersweet ladies and gentleman. 5 years ago, I never planned to enter college. Now at the age of 21, I hold a bachelor's degree in my hand (technically next week). Any input is greatly appreciated. Where do I go from here?

Reactions: 1 person
Graduated college at 21? Man you either started at 17 or did it in less than 4 years. Either way congrats.

Do whatever you feel like doing. Enjoy life. You are still very young and have plenty of time

Graduated college at 21? Man you either started at 17 or did it in less than 4 years. Either way congrats.

Do whatever you feel like doing. Enjoy life. You are still very young and have plenty of time

I graduated high school at 17. Thank you for your input. Definitely going to try and burn my immaturity out quickly

Get in grad school as quickly as you can if that's the direction you want to go. Every day you wait, it becomes that much harder to get back into school. Otherwise, go generate some income and blow it foolishly.

I graduated at 21 as well. I applied and interviews for dozens of jobs and didn't get one. It was a very trying time and I eventually decided to go to grad school and started that 8 months after I had completed my bachelors.

In the mean time I worked full time at the resturant that I had worked at part time while in school and also met and started dating my wife.

Get in grad school as quickly as you can if that's the direction you want to go. Every day you wait, it becomes that much harder to get back into school. Otherwise, go generate some income and blow it foolishly.

Im actually wise with my cash thanks

Have no desire for public accounting. I enjoy more of the internal audit, corporate world stuff
Work toward CPA!!!! So many more doors can open with those 3 letters behind your name. I am with you in that I enjoy GL corporate accounting much more than public.

Work toward CPA!!!! So many more doors can open with those 3 letters behind your name. I am with you in that I enjoy GL corporate accounting much more than public.

I do plan to sit for this after grad school. The CMA has caught my eye as well because it basically defines what I want to do. Im afraid it will not carry the weight or respect as the CPA

First, congrats o.n graduating summa cum laude and with manageable debt. Interview and interview some more. The practice will help and you need a reality check on the current job market for your field. Be honest about your plans for grad school and longer term career. The feedback you get will be invaluable. You may find some untapped resources. At the very least, you'll have a better understanding of what grad school means to prospective employers. Do NOT proceed on assumptions or preconceived ideas of what a post grad degree will do for your career. The working world has changed dramatically in the last generation. Talent and imagination benefit all new graduates, but maturity and real world work ethic (not academic) is sorely lacking in most. Don't dismiss the idea of working for a couple of years and going to grad school at night, weekends, and on-line. Theres no rush at 21 and you might find out what is really of value to you: money, title, family, time, management , small firm, giant corporation, etc. Right now you have a degree and little debt. What you want from life is still to be determined.

I cannot wait until my daughter graduates!

Congratulations.

Congrats!

Dobbs, Hurd, and a few others will need someone with your expertise in a few short years.:)

First, congrats o.n graduating summa cum laude and with manageable debt. Interview and interview some more. The practice will help and you need a reality check on the current job market for your field. Be honest about your plans for grad school and longer term career. The feedback you get will be invaluable. You may find some untapped resources. At the very least, you'll have a better understanding of what grad school means to prospective employers. Do NOT proceed on assumptions or preconceived ideas of what a post grad degree will do for your career. The working world has changed dramatically in the last generation. Talent and imagination benefit all new graduates, but maturity and real world work ethic (not academic) is sorely lacking in most. Don't dismiss the idea of working for a couple of years and going to grad school at night, weekends, and on-line. Theres no rush at 21 and you might find out what is really of value to you: money, title, family, time, management , small firm, giant corporation, etc. Right now you have a degree and little debt. What you want from life is still to be determined.

I agree with all of this. In addition to the career explorations, I'd suggest examining spiritual things also - starting to develop a meaningful philosophy of life. It sounds hokey but the material things aren't the only things to think about.

I say take a year off and go see the world. Then worry about where you'll be dedicating 50+ hours per week for the rest of your life after that. The traveling might also give you some insight into how your future career path relates in the more global picture.

VN Store

Back