Help! I'm e-Tarded.

malinoisvol

Pick up your Balls and Rattle your Cannons!
My wife bought us a pair of Samsung Galaxy S5's via AT&T 2 days ago. For us - HIGH tech! Here is my first question: what the hell is the preloaded "hotspot" for on this phone?

Stupid me thought I could turn it on and share data from my phone to my tablet. (Insert Jeopardy buzzer here).

I "Like" you long time if you can explain this in simple detail.

Thanks VN.

LOL away...

My kids know more about this stuff than me, so sorry, I can't help! I'm mechanically inclined, so if you need it took apart I'm your guy! Seriously, hope you get help!

Reactions: 1 person
My kids know more about this stuff than me, so sorry, I can't help! I'm mechanically inclined, so if you need it took apart I'm your guy! Seriously, hope you get help!

My kids could explain it, but not my language.lol

My wife bought us a pair of Samsung Galaxy S5's via AT&T 2 days ago. For us - HIGH tech! Here is my first question: what the hell is the preloaded "hotspot" for on this phone?

Stupid me thought I could turn it on and share data from my phone to my tablet. (Insert Jeopardy buzzer here).

I "Like" you long time if you can explain this in simple detail.

Thanks VN.

LOL away...

You should be able to, i do it all the time on my Note 4 and did on my S5 too.

My understanding is that it's a pre-paid hotspot. If your limit is 2 gigs, then once you've used up that amount your hotspot won't work unless you buy more data.

It's a similar concept to a pre-paid phone.

You should be able to, i do it all the time on my Note 4 and did on my S5 too.

Here another tid bit. The only access to Internet is through the phone. We have no providers in the backwoods. Should I still be able to do it?

Ok. This is what got my blood pressure up today.

I bought, on recommendation from a friend, and after reading VN posts about it, a chromecast. Thinking my wife would love it, being able to watch music videos, etc.

Only to find our after hooking up, downloading the app and trying everything to get this to work. No luck.

After digging a bit, I found out you have to have access to wifi. Or, that's how I took it.

What are my options here? Anyone...

Ok. This is what got my blood pressure up today.

I bought, on recommendation from a friend, and after reading VN posts about it, a chromecast. Thinking my wife would love it, being able to watch music videos, etc.

Only to find our after hooking up, downloading the app and trying everything to get this to work. No luck.

After digging a bit, I found out you have to have access to wifi. Or, that's how I took it.

What are my options here? Anyone...

You do need wifi for a Chromecast to work.

You don't need wifi to use the hotspot, the hotspot app basically turns you're data into wifi. I use mine at my grandma's house or if my home internet goes down. You should just turn it on and it'll give you instructions on how to connect it.

I turned it on, and it picked up chromecast on the list of available wifi list, but it wouldn't connect.

There are two other wifi spots on there (neighbors) and secured.

Whoever said ignorance is bliss was a numbnutz. Lol

Thanks for trying to decipher my ignorance.

You can use your phone as the Wi-Fi hotspot

Swipe your finger from the top of the screen down to get your notification menu.

There is an icon at the top that looks like a gear. Tap it to go to settings.

Tap on more networks

Look for tethering and mobile hotspots

Turn on the hotspot

The chrome laptop - tablet should be able to find the hotspot and connect

I turned it on, and it picked up chromecast on the list of available wifi list, but it wouldn't connect.

You got out backwards. The phones hotspot outs the Wi-Fi that the chromecast will connect to

Did you search for wifi on your tablet? It should see your phone IF you registered your phone and set a password.

I'm going to give this chrome cast one more chance. Let me hook it back up and do it again. Stand by to read and laugh as I post what/how each step of the process drives me ever so closer to a stroke.

Did you search for wifi on your tablet? It should see your phone IF you registered your phone and set a password.

The tablet, at present, is not in the loop - just the phone and the chromecast.

Should I have the tablet in the loop?

The tablet, at present, is not in the loop - just the phone and the chromecast.

Should I have the tablet in the loop?

As best as I can remember, you need some kind of internet and wifi to set up the chromecast. Maybe I have that wrong,but i think it's right. So yes, you need the tablet and you need the wifi to work.

As best as I can remember, you need some kind of internet and wifi to set up the chromecast. Maybe I have that wrong,but i think it's right. So yes, you need the tablet and you need the wifi to work.

Thanks for all your patience.

Is the Hotspot on the phone, when on, the same as wifi?

Lol no problem, im bored anyways. Yes, when the hotspot is on, your phone puts out the wifi for your tablet to pick up.

Ok. I've got the chromecast hooked back up on the tv. Will follow it's instructions again and be back momentarily.

With your data limits the Chromecast will probably be pretty useless. Either that or the wife will use the data and you'll get a nice bill

Reactions: 2 people
Here we go...

Chromecast plugged up and in.
TV set to view it.

As prompted, went to chromecast.com/setup and installed app.

Enabled WiFi
scanned for chrome cast
Found chrome cast4299
setup
set name
connect to chrome cast
(Neighbors name)
Secured with WPA2

--------------------------------------

In the phone under "WiFi connections"

WiFi networks
chrome cast4299
Security
None
Proxy
None
IP settings
DHCP

CONNECTED chrome cast4299
Signal
Strong
--------------------

I did not turn on the "hot spot", seemed like everything going correctly until I'm in the chrome cast setup and it only gives my neighbors secured hot spot as an option.

Am I S.O.L.?

Last edited:
If you're steaming HD movies, 10GB won't get you very far IMO. I think I read that Netflix HD uses like 3GB per hour.

Holly crap! That's a lot of data. All we want it for is to view music videos via youtube on Friday nights.

That's chica chica wow wow night. TMI? LOL

Last edited:

VN Store

Back