House Projects/Renovations

volwindy

sunshine hiker
Curious to see projects people have done, doing, or have plans for with their home. I recall seeing PJ's kitchen and someone's deck area (slice?).

We bought our home a year ago and have only repainted, added overhead lights/ceiling fans to bedrooms, and re-landscaped the front.

We have a growing list, but I think up next is changing out the sliding glass door to our patio.

We just had to replace the living room carpet due to our tenants.

Washed the house yesterday, gonna do some painting, and redo my deck later this summer.

had a massive clearing of old shrubs and overgrown stuff and a patio built.

next step is repairing the deck, staining and replacing the railing with a cable version.

project I dread is replacing the windows in the house (originals since 1951).

down the road I need to do the kitchen and 2 bathrooms.

finally, I'd like to have a fire place put in.

Looks like I need to win the lottery

We just had to replace the living room carpet due to our tenants.

We have to replace ours upstairs, not an urgent need right now, but I don't look forward to doing that.

had a massive clearing of old shrubs and overgrown stuff and a patio built.

next step is repairing the deck, staining and replacing the railing with a cable version.

project I dread is replacing the windows in the house (originals since 1951).

down the road I need to do the kitchen and 2 bathrooms.

finally, I'd like to have a fire place put in.

Looks like I need to win the lottery

Patio looks great!

I need to win the lottery as well as we have a pretty big list, which also includes 2 bathrooms.

thanks folks - the yard had a very odd grade right off the hot tub so digging it out and putting in the patio worked out well

Awesome idea for a thread. I'm not very handy, but I'm trying to be. I bought a dresser at a garage sale when I was like 12 and I carried around all these years. Finally refinished it:

20150122_121702.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Besides the kitchen we did a new fence, paver front walkway, a complete electrical rewire, replaced all windows and a new roof. Only thing that was possibly left to do was the hvac but we sold it before that gave out.

We're enjoying having nothing to do with our current house

Awesome idea for a thread. I'm not very handy, but I'm trying to be. I bought a dresser at a garage sale when I was like 12 and I carried around all these years. Finally refinished it:

20150122_121702.jpg

Looks good, did you forget the handles? :)
Besides the kitchen we did a new fence, paver front walkway, a complete electrical rewire, replaced all windows and a new roof. Only thing that was possibly left to do was the hvac but we sold it before that gave out.

We're enjoying having nothing to do with our current house

I didn't realize you all did that much! I would like a new fence as well, did you do it on your own?

Going to have a huge tree cut down in the front yard sometime this summer.... does that count?

Well that is a project..

We bought a older home back in November with plenty of square footage for my kids to grow in. I have already torn out a few walls, done some additional sheet rock work and patches, torn out an old deck, patched all of the brickwork, built the kids a treehouse, and torn out a 24 x 24' pool and deck and hauled it to the dump along with the grading the entire area out last night with the tractor. Been a very productive spring already. Oh and I've cleared a bunch of brush on the backside of my property and burn it just last weekend.

Last edited:
I am not The best at it by any means, but I am in the construction business for a living. If you guys ever have any questions on home remodels, structural issues, masonry, grading , etc., send me a question and I'll help any way I can.

Reactions: 1 person
Just got done taking my parents' kitchen and bathroom down to studs and refinishing them. Also took out their bathtub and installed a walk-in shower. Tore up the linoleum and put in tile too.

I didn't realize you all did that much! I would like a new fence as well, did you do it on your own?

Hired someone to do the fence. It was pretty reasonable and done in a day (and done very well). For all the work we used small, local contractors who did lots of work in our neighborhood. Well worth it

Well that is a project..

It's leaning towards the house and we had someone come give us an estimate and he said he thought it was hollow at the bottom up to about four feet. So I want to get it taken care of as soon as we can afford it so it won't fall on the house.

Done and upside down dang it

That's a pretty good reno to have it done upside down! :)

It's leaning towards the house and we had someone come give us an estimate and he said he thought it was hollow at the bottom up to about four feet. So I want to get it taken care of as soon as we can afford it so it won't fall on the house.

My parents just had I think 5 trees taken down, of course most of it is still in the back yard while they are on a cruise right now. They paid for the chop down, but they will take care of getting rid of it.

My parents just had I think 5 trees taken down, of course most of it is still in the back yard while they are on a cruise right now. They paid for the chop down, but they will take care of getting rid of it.

This guy gave us a price to cut down, haul off, and grind the stump.

VN Store

Back