School principal refuses to give teen's phone back to dad

I'd be surprised if the school could keep it legally.

Since I was in school and up until now, I've never understood how schools are allowed to keep Sony Walkmans, Gameboys, beepers, and now iphones. They should only be allowed to take them from the students and give it to the parents IMMEDIATELY...

Reactions: 1 person
Since I was in school and up until now, I've never understood how schools are allowed to keep Sony Walkmans, Gameboys, beepers, and now iphones. They should only be allowed to take them from the students and give it to the parents IMMEDIATELY...

For once, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I'd be raising pure hell at the next school board meeting along with every parent I could contact. Furthermore, if I didn't sign an agreement with the school, I'd bring the receipt for purchase along with the local police in with me and have her admit she has my stolen property.

For once, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I'd be raising pure hell at the next school board meeting along with every parent I could contact. Furthermore, if I didn't sign an agreement with the school, I'd bring the receipt for purchase along with the local police in with me and have her admit she has my stolen property.
There was a situation here last year where a dad almost had a principal arrested for grand larceny. I know the cop who had to talk the dad out of it.
I would love to see one of these P.O.S teachers/principles arrested.

Reactions: 3 people
Keep in mind I say this as a father of a high school student. I was called by my daughter's high school and instructed that my daughter had violated the school policy by using her phone at an unapproved time. She was not cheating or anything like that. The guidance counselor stated that I would have to come to the school to get the phone back and I told her to give it back on the last day of school. My daughter knew the rules and that there would be consequences for not following them. Now, she has to deal with those penalties. I will bet next year she will strictly adhere to the policy set forth by the school board. All that said to say this: we, as parents, need to back the school and support them when our children break the rules or else they will never learn to follow the rules.

Reactions: 7 people
All that said to say this: we, as parents, need to back the school and support them when our children break the rules or else they will never learn to follow the rules.

How about no? How about you start the discipline process at home and stop relying on the school to make rules for you?

If a parent wants the phone back, that's their property that they paid for and to hell with a principle that wants to enforce internal rules on someone who isn't a student there. If this were any other situation, it would be called what it truly is. Theft. We let schools do pretty much anything they want to our children these days. We've allowed them to amass this kind of power by not doing our basic parental responsibilities and allow them to raise our children for us.

And it needs to stop.

Reactions: 7 people
Yes taking a kids phone is a great idea.

So does this make the principle responsible if the child later finds themselves in trouble and unable to call for help because some Dbag stole his phone?

Reactions: 2 people
Yes taking a kids phone is a great idea.

So does this make the principle responsible if the child later finds themselves in trouble and unable to call for help because some Dbag stole his phone?

Kids managed pretty well back in the day without them. Not saying the principle is right, but a phone isn't essential.

Reactions: 10 people
Kids managed pretty well back in the day without them. Not saying the principle is right, but a phone isn't essential.

When I was a kid we weren't shooting each other. It's a different world now and as a lawyer you know the answer to my question.

This.

I just learned my friend's nephew who is 10 years old has a Facebook account. Kids don't need to be dealing with things like that and all the crap that comes with it at that age. It's really sad what the world is quickly becoming because of electronic devices.

How about no? How about you start the discipline process at home and stop relying on the school to make rules for you?

If a parent wants the phone back, that's their property that they paid for and to hell with a principle that wants to enforce internal rules on someone who isn't a student there. If this were any other situation, it would be called what it truly is. Theft. We let schools do pretty much anything they want to our children these days. We've allowed them to amass this kind of power by not doing our basic parental responsibilities and allow them to raise our children for us.

And it needs to stop.

You have no idea what my wife and I do at home!!!! My daughter didn't have a phone until last year as a freshman in high school. She was given clear instruction on the rules of its use, she violated them and no longer has the privilege of using a cell phone. She broke the rules and is suffering the consequences. I chose to go further than school policy in my discipline for her breaking the rules.

I can't speak for what other parents would or should do, I was just offering my experience in a similar situation. I didn't care if we received the phone back because my daughter was clearly explained the rules for use of the phone. Like most teens she chose to press how far she could stretch the line and my wife and I clearly demonstrated where we stood with our reaction. I hope she learns that when we say there are consequences to her actions that is exactly what she expects. Hopefully, next the time she wants to push boundaries (especially if it's a more serious offense) she knows mom and dad aren't playing.

Now if that qualifies me as "allowing schools" to raise my daughter in your mind so be it.

My son got his phone taken away and he waited a week to get it back. Fine by me. The assistant principle actually gave it back to him a day early. However, as the owner of my 16 year old's phone, had I wanted to retrieve it myself I can assure I would have.

There was a situation here last year where a dad almost had a principal arrested for grand larceny. I know the cop who had to talk the dad out of it.
I would love to see one of these P.O.S teachers/principles arrested.

A cop refusing to make an arrest?

I dint read the story but I feel like this child was a multiple offender and that's why the father didn't get the phone back. I feel as if some people in this thread are seriously lacking common sense curtesy. Principals should be granted the upmost respect. Dad should tell his child that he shouldn't had it out and that he'll get it back when the principal is ready.

When I was a kid we weren't shooting each other. It's a different world now and as a lawyer you know the answer to my question.

Absurd, overreaction, crazy person comment above.

School shootings are no more prevalent now. We are just more aware of them thanks 24/7 news and social media.

I dint read the story but I feel like this child was a multiple offender and that's why the father didn't get the phone back. I feel as if some people in this thread are seriously lacking common sense curtesy. Principals should be granted the upmost respect. Dad should tell his child that he shouldn't had it out and that he'll get it back when the principal is ready.

Curtsy? Why bow like a formal English woman?
It is common American courtesy to shake hands.

Article says the rule is clearly written in the student handbook. Every school today has both the parents and the student sign the form in the student handbook that says they'll abide by the rules in the book. I don't see the problem here.
I'm surprised at the hatred toward the principal. P.O.S.? Really? She is running a school in Philadelphia for heaven's sake! I would think there would be more support for her and how she is trying to keep some level of discipline on her school.

Reactions: 6 people
Article says the rule is clearly written in the student handbook. Every school today has both the parents and the student sign the form in the student handbook that says they'll abide by the rules in the book. I don't see the problem here.
I'm surprised at the hatred toward the principal. P.O.S.? Really? She is running a school in Philadelphia for heaven's sake! I would think there would be more support for her and how she is trying to keep some level of discipline on her school.

Agreed. And as a poster above already touched on, there is more to the story. The girl had been a major problem and has a history of interrupting classes with her phone. The Principal is in the right here.

Sometimes the parents are the problem. My kids had a classmate who caused a lot of trouble but every time the school tried to discipline him his mother would bully then and threaten law suits. He should have been expelled after he brought a gun to school in the 6th grade but the principal was over ruled by admin and he got a week suspension instead. Mom was delusional thinking he was a good kid and the teachers were just racist. Unfortunately he shot a rival gang member last year and he is likely to get the death penalty. It is possible that better discipline early on might have saved a coupLe of lives.

VN Store

Back