Questions for Vols in southern FL

B-Stizzy

#1 Senior Member
I might be accepting a job in Sunrise, FL with the Florida Panthers. Just wondering what it's like there, average single apartment prices, and any other things you could offer up in advice or knowledge. Thanks!

Dec, Jan, Feb, March are awesome down here. The rest of the year it's humid and hot as balls.

Last night on the news they were reporting on a bear in someone's living room, a shark attack, and an increase in large alligator sightings.

Welcome to Florida

Reactions: 1 person
Dec, Jan, Feb, March are awesome down here. The rest of the year it's humid and hot as balls.

Last night on the news they were reporting on a bear in someone's living room, a shark attack, and an increase in large alligator sightings.

Welcome to Florida

So a lot to look forward to then huh? Lol. My main concern is the area. Just wondering if Sunrise is a decent location to live or if I should look into another part near there with a tolerable commute. I've already read somethings suggesting there's some rough parts.

So a lot to look forward to then huh? Lol. My main concern is the area. Just wondering if Sunrise is a decent location to live or if I should look into another part near there with a tolerable commute. I've already read somethings suggesting there's some rough parts.

I wish I could help but I'm a west coast guy. Not sure about the area but I would suggest definitely checking up on them. There are some real bad areas around there.

I don't know the area but I would get some contact information from some of your peers/coworkers. Reach out to those folks and get the scoop on where they live and other advice they may have for you. Good luck.

I never thought of Jacksonville as southern Florida. Not a whole lot of difference with the rest of the south until you get below Orlando. If I had to live in Jax I'd check out Amelia Island for residential property.

I from sw fla so I can't speak much to the east coast but I have friends who live in lauderdale and love it. It's definitely an interesting state and there are weird thing that happen by weird people that you'll hear about constantly. I suggest if you do move, find a nice town, you don't want to accidentally pick some place that's crime ridden. Now that I think about it, If you want an exact example of life in Florida, read a couple Tim Dorsey books. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:
Wellington is fantastic but kind of long commute and near West Palm. Boca is expensive but safe and one of wealthiest areas of Florida. Boynton has some rough areas but where doesn't? Boynton borders Boca and you can find nice areas for less money.

I have had bad experiences in Ft. Lauderdale and Lauderhill. Hollywood is a dump. Delray is nice but basically a giant retirement village.

I have no experience in Sunrise outside of hockey games.

After you get a few years experience, come to Tampa and work for the Lightning. I can provide detailed advice on west coast.

Plus I'd hit you up for tickets.

Reactions: 1 person
I never thought of Jacksonville as southern Florida. Not a whole lot of difference with the rest of the south until you get below Orlando. If I had to live in Jax I'd check out Amelia Island for residential property.

Uh, Sunrise is near Ft Lauderdale. It's pretty far south.

I used to work down in those areas and crime can happen at any time and any place. South Florida is like the Wild West. Just make sure you know where Opa Locka is and stay far away from there.

I used to live in Coral Springs which is close to Sunrise. It was OK. Weston is a nice area just south of Sunrise.

I guess it depends on your budget and how far you want to commute. The good news is the Sawgrass Expressway is right by the arena and you can places pretty quickly (Coral Springs, Boca, Weston).

I was born in West Palm Beach, spent some of my childhood there, still go back to visit family. Also spent lots of time in Tampa when my brother lived there.

I'd be depressed if I had to live in FL.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Its very appreciated. I've been doing some research on it and it looks like I'll try and find a place outside of Sunrise. It seems apartment pricing is about 2x or 3x about what it runs around here for decent living but I guess you get what you pay for. If anyone else has any experience or knowledge about specific places to live please chime in.

I'm currently living in West Palm Beach. Its very nice but expensive, we are renting a 800 sq ft condo for $1000 per month. It is a gated community with several activities, pool, tennis, racquet ball, shuffle board courts. About 20 min from the beach.
just ventured south for a concert & traffic was crazy!! Miami is 70 miles away & it took 2 hrs to get there because of traffic.
its starting to get hot & humid already. Gonna be brutal come June but we move around that time.
definitely tons of things to do around here, sporting events, concerts, beach, etc. We just went to Peanut Island yesterday. It was great, but hot!!

Thanks for all the input everyone. Its very appreciated. I've been doing some research on it and it looks like I'll try and find a place outside of Sunrise. It seems apartment pricing is about 2x or 3x about what it runs around here for decent living but I guess you get what you pay for. If anyone else has any experience or knowledge about specific places to live please chime in.

How much are you looking to spend on an apt? Give a range if you can. Also, what do you like to do? Beach, golf, bars, etc.

Working in Sunrise, if you live near the beach you'll have a long commute and it will be expensive. If you like to golf, Palm Beach Co. has excellent muni's which are fairly inexpensive if you live in PBC which goes as far south as Boca. Coral Springs is reasonable with decent restaurants & bars.

How much are you looking to spend on an apt? Give a range if you can. Also, what do you like to do? Beach, golf, bars, etc.

Working in Sunrise, if you live near the beach you'll have a long commute and it will be expensive. If you like to golf, Palm Beach Co. has excellent muni's which are fairly inexpensive if you live in PBC which goes as far south as Boca. Coral Springs is reasonable with decent restaurants & bars.

I was looking to spend no more than 1,100 for my place and utilities, but it seems that may be the minimum for any apartment that's decent. I'm not too concerned about being real close to the beach. My main thing is to have a safe area to live in. It seems like entertainment wise everything is in pretty close driving distance so I don't need to be in the heart of anything in particular.

I was looking to spend no more than 1,100 for my place and utilities, but it seems that may be the minimum for any apartment that's decent. I'm not too concerned about being real close to the beach. My main thing is to have a safe area to live in. It seems like entertainment wise everything is in pretty close driving distance so I don't need to be in the heart of anything in particular.

This place is pretty nice. It's gated near the Sawgrass, Heron Bay, restaurants.

Apartment for Rent at 11500 NW 56th Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33076 - realtor.com®

Uh, Sunrise is near Ft Lauderdale. It's pretty far south.

I used to work down in those areas and crime can happen at any time and any place. South Florida is like the Wild West. Just make sure you know where Opa Locka is and stay far away from there.

I misunderstood. I thought he was moving to Jacksonville.

That actually seems pretty good. I was actually leaning towards Coral Springs. Thanks for that!

You're welcome. That's a nice area (Parkland) with some some decent bars (Lefty's, Hurricane Wings) close by.

VN Store

Back