Sports team affiliation

TDTennessee

So I heard Chad Withrow do a segment a few weeks ago about sports team affiliation. What teams you like and why you like them. Thought it would be cool thread topic, so post the teams that you like and why . If it needs to go to the sports forum mods can move it.

NCAA- UT graduated from there and have lived in Tennessee for almost 20 years.

NBA- San Antonio Spurs, was born in San Antonio and went to games in Kindergarten, first, and second grade when David Robinson and Avery Johnson were still around.

NFL- TItans, The Oliers moved to Tennessee the same year that I did, and I thought that it was destiny.

MLB- Indians, My dad is from Cleveland and I have never lived close enough to a team to attach to.

UT is pretty self explanatory

Rams: I liked their uniforms when I was little so I started following them. Don't really follow the NFL too much anymore tho.

UT- grandparents are alums. Dad is a fanatic, passed it on to me.

Boston pro teams- obvious reasons

Navy- dad, two uncles, and older brother are Annapolis grads

UVA- my alma mater

UK - Lived here all my life when I came to the country. Love it in Lexington.

UT - Have family from there, some who are still down there. VN influenced me as well.

Oklahoma - Not a huge fan, but I cheer for them since I spent summers there growing up in a tiny town with family.

Celtics/Pelicans - Can't really explain it. Just always liked the green of the Celtics and the Paul/Davis eras of NO.

Reds - My dad likes them and I've been to a few games. Not a big MLB guy but I liked the atmosphere.

NFL - Bengals/Packers - Know an equipment manager for Cincy, and although my dad was/is a Browns fans, I've been to more Bengals games and cheer them on. Packers would be 2nd. I was a big Farve fan (yes...sadly).

UT: Both my parents are alums so I grew up a fan despite never living in TN until I myself went to UT and am now an alum as well. Started a savings account when I was a sophomore to save up for season tickets when I graduated.

Dallas Cowboys: Both my parents were fans so that's who we watched. Plus they were really good in the 90's which made it easy for elementary aged me to follow them.

Atlanta Braves: Again both my parents were fans and they were on TBS every night so I was able to watch them regularly as a young kid.

San Antonio Spurs: Didn't follow the NBA until I was in middle school when I happened to buy a NBA video game. Started playing with the Spurs and David Robinson quickly became my favorite player. Eventually even converted my family into all becoming Spurs fans. Some of my favorite memories with my mom are getting up at 3 am when we lived in Europe to watch playoff games together.

UT - I didn't attend but I was born in Knoxville and have lived here my whole life. It's a no brainer. Lady Vols and Mens basketball as well.

Saints - Where my dad is from, awesome city, visited countless times, and my sister also lived there for a while.

Broncos - Peyton Manning

Vols - Knoxville.

Braves - 90s kid.

Packers - Stock options.

Preds - Nashville resident.

Vols - I joined a long line of UT alum in my family.

Braves - first sports team I cared about. Dad was a big fan. First sports event I went to was a Richmond Braves game and I've been a fan ever since

Navy - dad is an alum. lived on the grounds when my dad was stationed there. I grew up always wanting to go. Got a nomination but color blindness would have kept me from doing what I really wanted

I was born in Tennessee, came home from the hospital in a UT onesie, still have it.

Titans fan, I thought the name and logo were pretty sweet when it was introduced so I became a fan. It was 1999, I was in middle school. I don't pay much attention to the NFL anymore.

Bulls and Blackhawks. I live in IL.

Baseball sucks.

If Mariota goes to the Titans it will be a tipping point and I'll become a fan. Mariota went to my high school

UT- didn't attend, but I was born and raised on the ky side of Cumberland gap. All our local channels came out of Knoxville and I started despising ky as a little kid because of basketball.
Not a huge fan of the NFL anymore, but used to love Joe Montana/ Steve Young. I watch Peyton now and the falcons occasionally.
Used to love watching the Bulls during the Jordan era, and Boston with Larry.
Braves, always has been, always will be.

NCAA-Vols, didn't attend dad was just a die hard fan and passed it on to me.
NBA-Lakers, started watching the NBA during the Shaq and Kobe years been a Lakers fan since.
NFL-Titans, not a big nfl fan so I just pull for the home state.
MLB-Braves, dad was also a big Braves fan, plus they won their division like the first 13 years of my life or something.

NCAA- Vols. It's my homestate team and grew up in the 90's glory years

NBA- Grizz. It's my hometown team

MLB- Cardinals. I have family in STL and have Cards fans in the family

NCAA: Vols. I grew up in a house full of UT fans and I can't imagine not being a fan
NFL: I've been a Cowboys fan since Super Bowl XII in 1978.
MLB: I grew up a fan of the Reds in the 70s. I became Rangers fan in the early 90s when I was in the Air Force stationed in Ft Worth and started going to games on a regular basis.
NBA: Mavericks for the same reasons I became a Rangers fan.
Nascar: I'm a Kyle Busch fan because he is one of the few drivers who speaks his mind.

NCAA: All Vols (regardless of sport). Born in Tennessee. UT fandom runs in the family.

NCAA: USMA. Being in the Army, you kinda want to.

MLB: Yankees. Baseball was my first love in sports growing up in NY. Went to my first game in 95. Mattingly hit a couple of HRs. Hooked ever since.

NFL: Redskins. Hung out with my uncle a lot growing up. He was a Skins fan, so I just kind of became one. Funny thing is my dad is a Cowboys fan.

NBA: Grizz. Home is where the heart is (TN)

NHL: Preds. See above

NASCAR: Kyle Busch. But I'll pull for all the JGR guys.

Last edited:
NCAA: Tennessee (school), Notre Dame (Catholic lol), Michigan (mom's best friend attended and I grew up with that), Arizona State (born just miles from campus)

MLB: Mets (dad is from the New York area but the rest of the family is Yankee fans and the Yankees are all that is wrong with sports), Cardinals (during the postseason when the Mets aren't in...so normally lol, because I grew up in Memphis where their AAA team plays)

NFL: Packers (mom is from Wisconsin)

NBA: Grizz (grew up in Memphis)

Golf: Jason Day (years ago during the Par 3 competition at the Masters, he had his hot wife as caddy #69...respect lol)

UT - When i was 8 i saw Heath Shuler and i thought he was amazing, i think him being a QB and wearing #21 was cool too. Then Fulmer and Chavis came to my house on a recruiting visit to meet with my mom and one of her former students, so that helped my fandom. Then Peyton came along and i have been all Vol ever since, I'm only Tennessee fan i know around here.

Braves - Been a fan since i was a kid, them being good and on tv every night probably helped.

Gonzaga - My cousin went there when Adam Morrison was there, she used to get me to watch their games, been a fan ever since. I'll occasionally watch Tennessee but i really cant stand college basketball,it's so boring.

Peyton - More than any NFL team, im a Peyton fan. I used to root for the Colts, when he left i became a Broncos fan. I do still like the Colts, Andrew Luck is easy to cheer for. I'll probably go back to them when Peyton hangs it up.

Lebron James - Same as above, i liked the Cavs when he was there, then i liked Miami, now i like the Cavs again.

Vols- All things except men's basketball. Couldn't stand father-son setups as a kid and hated Wade and Allan Houston because of it. My Papaw got me hooked on Tennessee.

Duke basketball- Due to the Houston thing I was searching for a team. As a guard, I loved watching Bobby Hurley. Didn't know what I was getting myself into. I still remember crying when UNLV stomped them in '90. Remember running around the house like a mad man when Laettner beat UK. Remember sitting in a restaurant with my family when Jason Kidd lit them up. Tore every single napkin in the napkin dispenser to shreds so that I wouldn't d anything worse.

Redskins: Aunt is a Cowboys fan and I just wanted to oppose her. HTTR!

A's: Grew up split fandom, A's and Braves. I didn't like how the Braves handled Klesko and after Mark Lemke and Rafael Belliard left, I just didn't care about them anymore. Ironically the tipping point came the year they won the WS. I had no interest in it. Rickey Henderson is my favorite baseball player ever and I thought Dennis Eckersley was the coolest man on the planet. Green is even my favorite color, but I think that came because of the A's and not the other way around.

Old Dominion: Becoming bigger and bigger and it's making things tough. My alma mater. Can't help but root for them.

Last edited:
UT- both parents graduated, brother and I graduated, lived in Knoxville my entire life.

Braves-same as Voxx, 90's kid.

Titans-been a fan since they were in Memphis.

Broncos-as long as Peyton plays, I'll be a fan of his team.

Spurs-they were boring for a while, but they play basketball the right way. Latched on to them after Jordan retired.

South Carolina - Just basic socialization through my family.
Manchester United - I used to think soccer was stupid and boring. Started watching it with a friend, who happens to support United. So, I started watching United and have kept up with them very closely.

Vols - born and raised in TN; UT Alum

NFL - Titans, also pull for Chargers second

NBA - Lakers, been a fan since I was a kid and they are local team, I casually follow the Grizzlies

MLB - Padres - first city I lived in with an MLB team and now Angels - live 10 mins from Angels stadium

NHL - Predators and now Ducks live 10 mins from Honda Center

VN Store

Back