Tennesseans in the Great War (WWI)

OneManGang

Alright boys, I could use some help;

I am currently working on a book (real publisher, real project, YAY!) dealing with the stories of individual Tennesseans who served in the Great War. Publication date is tentatively envisioned as November this year.

I have a number of stories on guys from the Knoxville area mainly due to what I jokingly call "The Bible" AKA Knox County in the World War which was published in 1919 and has lots of pix and thumbnail sketches of individual soldiers. I also have some privately published memoirs and access to the State Archives of Tennessee and North Carolina.

I recall that a number of you have said you have ancestors and relatives who fought "Over There" and I would like to incorporate their stories into this work. Of course, I will give full credit to you and whatever records you can come up with.

Even if you don't know much concrete about your relations, if you have a unit designation or even the name of a battalion or regimental commander, I can take it from there.

Drop me an email at: keepingyourstoriesalive@gmail.com

One story I know you haven't heard before:

On 29 September 1918, the 119th Infantry led the assault by the 30th Division against the toughest part of the Hindenburg Line. Part of the regiment assaulted up a ridge toward the village of Bellicourt, the rest had to cross the St. Quentin Canal, scale the opposite bank and go from there.

Among the guys assigned to that crossing was Sgt. Joseph Adkison from Egypt, TN, of C Company. Sgt. Adkison swam across the canal and climbed the 60-foot bank in the face of German machine gun fire.

That's not the amazing part.

At the top of the bank, he found himself square in the sights of a German machine gun at 50 yards range. He charged the nest and KICKED the 150 lb gun into the hole trapping the three gunners and taking them prisoner. He then used his rifle to drive off a second gun party trying to come up in support. When his unit caught up with him, they found the Germans under his direction turning the gun around to open fire on other German positions.

Even more amazing, he survived to wear his Medal of Honor, one of twelve men in the 30th Division so honored.

This man COULD just walk into Mordor.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Sgt. Joseph B. Adkison

Attachments

• 23 joseph adkinson cmh.jpg
    23 joseph adkinson cmh.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
My grandfather, Lonnie Moncrief, was in the 165th infantry, 42nd Rainbow Division. He saw action at St Mihiel and Meuse Argonne. The last entry in his journal that he kept during the war says "We stayed in the Argonne for about five days, and while there, I witnessed one of the most daring acts ever attempted by anyone." He doesn't elaborate on what he saw, but that entry has always fascinated me.

Last edited:
The 165th Infantry was the famed "Fighting 69th" New York National Guard. Yes, the same unit in the movie with Pat O'Brien and James Cagney. The "Fair Catch Corby" statue at Notre Dame is a depiction of Fr. Corby blessing the 69th at the battle of Gettysburg. The lineal descendants of the "Fighting 69th," the 88th New York led the rescue efforts and provided headquarters and communications for the first responders after the 9/11 attacks. I struck up a friendship online with the bartender at the regimental club and got some great insights into what went on in those dark days.

I found a roster of the regiment here: https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/wwi/infantry/165thInf/165thInf_Roster.pdf

Unfortunately, I could find no listing for a "Moncrief" in any of the company rosters.
However, I also noticed every single listed soldier was from New York. Was he from Tennessee and sent as a replacement? If so, he could be listed with the TSLA which is sorted by county.

The 165th Infantry was the famed "Fighting 69th" New York National Guard. Yes, the same unit in the movie with Pat O'Brien and James Cagney. The "Fair Catch Corby" statue at Notre Dame is a depiction of Fr. Corby blessing the 69th at the battle of Gettysburg. The lineal descendants of the "Fighting 69th," the 88th New York led the rescue efforts and provided headquarters and communications for the first responders after the 9/11 attacks. I struck up a friendship online with the bartender at the regimental club and got some great insights into what went on in those dark days.

I found a roster of the regiment here: https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/wwi/infantry/165thInf/165thInf_Roster.pdf

Unfortunately, I could find no listing for a "Moncrief" in any of the company rosters.
However, I also noticed every single listed soldier was from New York. Was he from Tennessee and sent as a replacement? If so, he could be listed with the TSLA which is sorted by county.

Yes he was from Tennessee (Sumner County) and he was a replacement. According to both his journal and his discharge he was inducted 28 Jun 1918. His service #3500931.

OUTSTANDING! I can work from there!

Does his discharge list which company or battalion?

It says Hdqr's Co (Headquarters?) 165th Inf. He notes in his journal that he was assigned to the 42nd Rainbow Division on the St Mihiel front on 24 Sep 1918. I have his original discharge still in this black discharge folder with a rainbow patch tucked in there.

My great grandfather Lon Pope from McCaysville GA or Copperhill TN. Was in the Infantry. I remember the pic of his regiment hanging in my Great grandmothers house.
Lost all his info in a house fire before I ever became interested in learning about family history. Wish I could get a do over.

Reactions: Tin Man
My great grandfather Lon Pope from McCaysville GA or Copperhill TN. Was in the Infantry. I remember the pic of his regiment hanging in my Great grandmothers house.
Lost all his info in a house fire before I ever became interested in learning about family history. Wish I could get a do over.

Actually, he is listed as having enlisted in Blount County and born in Farming County, GA.

World War I Veterans of Blount County | Blount County TNGenWeb

I'll see what else I can find.

Last edited:
My grandfather was in the Big Red One division, Company G, 28th Infantry, fighting in several battles and won several medals. He was underweight to join so he ate a bunch of bananas to make it in.

He was from Oliver Springs and was written about in a book of Oliver Springs history. Name was Walter Stripling.

Last edited:
My grandfather was in the Big Red One division, Company G, 28th Infantry, fighting in several battles and won several medals. He was underweight to join so he ate a bunch of bananas to make it in.

He was from Oliver Springs and was written about in a book of Oliver Springs history. Name was Walter Stripling.

His DSC Citation:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Corporal Walter B. Stripling (ASN: 57859), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company G, 28th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division, A.E.F., near Nonsard, France, 12 September 1918. The whole line being held up by heavy fire from an enemy strong point, Corporal Stripling, with marked initiative, led his squad, despite strong resistance, skillfully flanked and captured his objective, together with 30 prisoners, without the loss of a man.
General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 37 (1919)

Action Date: 12-Sep-18

Service: Army

Company: Company G

Regiment: 28th Infantry Regiment

Division: 1st Division, American Expeditionary Forces

12 September 1918 was the first day of the St. Mihiel campaign.

These stories are precisely what I'm looking for.

Do you have any pictures of him in WWI uniform?

Let me know via email: keepingyourstoriesalive@gmail.com

As always, I will give full credit.

Last edited:
My great grandfather Isaac Monroe Price was in the 6th us engineers.

I have pictures of him in uniform, his letter from the war department, and a picture of hus uniform that we have framed for my grandfather.

I don't know how to attach the pictures from my phone.

Reactions: 1 person
Send pix to my email above. Include the veteran's name and his home town.

Include your name for proper credit.

Last edited:
Send pix to my email above. Include the veteran's name and his home town.

Include your name for proper credit.

I tried to send them. The pictures are not good due to a reflection from my phone. If you need I can remake them properly.

His DSC Citation:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Corporal Walter B. Stripling (ASN: 57859), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company G, 28th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division, A.E.F., near Nonsard, France, 12 September 1918. The whole line being held up by heavy fire from an enemy strong point, Corporal Stripling, with marked initiative, led his squad, despite strong resistance, skillfully flanked and captured his objective, together with 30 prisoners, without the loss of a man.
General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 37 (1919)

Action Date: 12-Sep-18

Service: Army

Company: Company G

Regiment: 28th Infantry Regiment

Division: 1st Division, American Expeditionary Forces

12 September 1918 was the first day of the St. Mihiel campaign.

These stories are precisely what I'm looking for.

Do you have any pictures of him in WWI uniform?

Let me know via email: keepingyourstoriesalive@gmail.com

As always, I will give full credit.

Thanks One man. We've got several pictures of him in uniform. I'll have to get my mom to scan them for me and I'll send them to me. Been meaning to do that for a while.

Alright boys, I could use some help;

I am currently working on a book (real publisher, real project, YAY!) dealing with the stories of individual Tennesseans who served in the Great War. Publication date is tentatively envisioned as November this year.

I have a number of stories on guys from the Knoxville area mainly due to what I jokingly call "The Bible" AKA Knox County in the World War which was published in 1919 and has lots of pix and thumbnail sketches of individual soldiers. I also have some privately published memoirs and access to the State Archives of Tennessee and North Carolina.

I recall that a number of you have said you have ancestors and relatives who fought "Over There" and I would like to incorporate their stories into this work. Of course, I will give full credit to you and whatever records you can come up with.

Even if you don't know much concrete about your relations, if you have a unit designation or even the name of a battalion or regimental commander, I can take it from there.

Drop me an email at: keepingyourstoriesalive@gmail.com

One story I know you haven't heard before:

On 29 September 1918, the 119th Infantry led the assault by the 30th Division against the toughest part of the Hindenburg Line. Part of the regiment assaulted up a ridge toward the village of Bellicourt, the rest had to cross the St. Quentin Canal, scale the opposite bank and go from there.

Among the guys assigned to that crossing was Sgt. Joseph Adkison from Egypt, TN, of C Company. Sgt. Adkison swam across the canal and climbed the 60-foot bank in the face of German machine gun fire.

That's not the amazing part.

At the top of the bank, he found himself square in the sights of a German machine gun at 50 yards range. He charged the nest and KICKED the 150 lb gun into the hole trapping the three gunners and taking them prisoner. He then used his rifle to drive off a second gun party trying to come up in support. When his unit caught up with him, they found the Germans under his direction turning the gun around to open fire on other German positions.

Even more amazing, he survived to wear his Medal of Honor, one of twelve men in the 30th Division so honored.

This man COULD just walk into Mordor.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Sgt. Joseph B. Adkison
If you ever need more material on Tennesseans we recently came across letters my great-grandfather, Stephen Henry Jones a ww1 vet from Eidson, TN, wrote to his son (my grandfather) shortly before he shipped out in 1943. After ww1 he spent about 14 years in a VA hospital probably suffering from PTSD. I heard he was gassed and wounded, so his son going into WW2 was probably a big concern to him. He served under Carroll Reece in ww1 and even named my grandfather after him. My grandfather was from Kingsport (D-B grad) and most of his family is still there.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back