NFL rookie's decision to retire another sign football is doomed

He's not exactly the first guy to walk away.

I think in the distant future the only major sports left will be Baseball,Basketball and Soccer. There will probably be a push is the future against having football at all because of the possibility or the probability of getting some kind of brain injury. If Football goes away Boxing and Ultimate Fighting will probably be next in my opinion.

One guy retiring is not going to be the downfall of the NFL. In fact he just made room for another prospect who isn't afraid to do the job.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think it'll go away. No one is forcing them to play. Life is a risk in itself. Football isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: 2 people
I think in the distant future the only major sports left will be Baseball,Basketball and Soccer. There will probably be a push is the future against having football at all because of the possibility or the probability of getting some kind of brain injury. If Football goes away Boxing and Ultimate Fighting will probably be next in my opinion.

It won't happen in my lifetime.

I think as more is known about brain injuries and their long term effects, the NFL will be forced to adapt. I know Lee Corso and Lou Holtz are old loonies. But I agree with them... despite the concept of using a helmet as protection, it's given players a false sense of security and thus empowers them to turn themselves into human missiles. Take the helmets off and strip down the padding.

He isn't the first and won't be the last. Football isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I think it's a signal of a slow death. Could be a fast death if lawmakers decide they want to get involved, or tort cases take down the league.

I think it's a signal of a slow death. Could be a fast death if lawmakers decide they want to get involved, or tort cases take down the league.

Do you think Football as we know it will still be played on the High School,College and Pro levels in 10-15 years?:hi:

If you got paid millions at the risk of a few concussions would you do it?

Most would.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you think Football as we know it will still be played on the High School,College and Pro levels in 10-15 years?:hi:

I wouldn't count on it, but wouldn't be surprised. Honestly, the only thing that can save it (long term) is some sort of unforeseen, protective innovation.

We get wealthier and wealthier, and we are less inclined to assume risk (life is too good to get your brains bashed in). We go overboard and try to protect our kids vigilantly against low risk threats. Cops are arresting "negligent" parents who let their kids go to the park, unsupervised. Playing football has to be a lot riskier than that.

I wouldn't count on it, but wouldn't be surprised. Honestly, the only thing that can save it (long term) is some sort of unforeseen, protective innovation.

We get wealthier and wealthier, and we are less inclined to assume risk (life is too good to get your brains bashed in). We go overboard and try to protect our kids vigilantly against low risk threats. Cops are arresting "negligent" parents who let their kids go to the park, unsupervised. Playing football has to be a lot riskier than that.

+1000:thumbsup::hi:

Looking into the future, The high school level is where I think you will see less participation in football.

Looking into the future, The high school level is where I think you will see less participation in football.

An increasing number of Parents wont let their Kids play football(My Brother and Sister in Law wouldn't let my nephews play) and soccer is getting more and more popular along with baseball and basketball.

And that's going to water down the pro talent. If it's between football and another big sport, the other big sport is going to start winning every star until you are left with guys that could only play football, and that's excluding all the kids whose parents never let them play. In 20 years, a guy like Calvin Johnson will do track and field, or put all the football focus into hoops.

The fact that boxing is still around proves that people have a thirst for blood.

I have a love hate relationship with football.

VN Store

Back