Anyone seen a leaking tree?

Coug

I have a Birch tree in the front yard and it's literally dripping water, maybe sap onto the rocks below it, they are literally soaking wet with it. It hit me in the head and was more like water than anything. At first I thought it was just water from all the rain we got this past week and a half but it's been dripping for 2 days now, maybe even longer. It's totally weird.

I have a Birch tree in the front yard and it's literally dripping water, maybe sap onto the rocks below it, they are literally soaking wet with it. It hit me in the head and was more like water than anything. At first I thought it was just water from all the rain we got this past week and a half but it's been dripping for 2 days now, maybe even longer. It's totally weird.

I have two River Birch trees in my yard and if they are trimmed or damaged in the early spring, the sap flows like a river.

Yes, I used to live near a lot of birch trees. They did this often. Gave off an awful odor, too.

We lost a medium sized branch due to the ice this winter and upon further inspection I can see two spots on the split branch that are weeping the sap. I've heard of trees "bleeding out" and wanted to make sure this isn't a possibility. Everything I read online says this will eventually stop and I shouldn't have to do anything about it in the meantime. It's only weeping right now because it's early spring and the turgor pressure is high right now in the vascular system of the tree. Does this all sound about right?

I've not seen a birch in a long time.

So this is common for Birch trees? Sounds messy.

We lost a medium sized branch due to the ice this winter and upon further inspection I can see two spots on the split branch that are weeping the sap. I've heard of trees "bleeding out" and wanted to make sure this isn't a possibility. Everything I read online says this will eventually stop and I shouldn't have to do anything about it in the meantime. It's only weeping right now because it's early spring and the turgor pressure is high right now in the vascular system of the tree. Does this all sound about right?

Yes. The sap will run for seven to ten days. The tree will be fine.

Reactions: 1 person
Apparently Maples and Birch trees can be tapped for sap collection in spring. I didn't know that until very recently. :)

Thanks for the reassurance Abe!

Boil some birch twigs and you can make birch beer. That was a popular drink in the 1700-1800s.

Somebody ticked off Harvey Updyke.

Boil some birch twigs and you can make birch beer. That was a popular drink in the 1700-1800s.

I think you have to have more sap than just the twigs though.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjlfu608L70[/youtube]

"I like to turn it into ice cubes with a mint leaf in it and drop it in a good single malt" :)

Somebody ticked off Harvey Updyke.

When I was researching the problem, I ran across a forum where someone had posted a photo of him next to a tree. :)

VN Store

Back