Kenny Chesney Surprise Concert ?

Volman1993

Kenny Chesney is scheduled to play a surprise concert on August 20, 2015. The city and venue has not yet been announced. It has been years since he played Neyland Stadium.

Does anybody think he could be coming back to play Neyland Stadium night again?

Highly unlikely given Knoxville's completely unreasonable entertainment tax.

Kenny Chesney is scheduled to play a surprise concert on August 20, 2015. The city and venue has not yet been announced. It has been years since he played Neyland Stadium.

I'm acquaintances with Kenny's keyboard player and he swears up and down that Kenny won't ever be back to Neyland until his very last show. Probably some show in the Bahamas or something.

I care just enough to open this thread and post a snarky comment but that's about it.

Reactions: 4 people

Vegas is the same way!!! Last year KC was almost $200 a ticket at the MGM. Zac Brown was $100 per ticket the weekend after. I chose ZBB instead

I think that the tickets for 2 shows at gillette stadium in under 12 min., so while I don't particularly care for his music, that's pretty "relevant"

No, it applies to artists/bands/groups that want to come to Knoxville and perform.

That tax went into effect as part of the funding of the TBA. However, it seems like it was Knox County and they kicked the funds into the TBA construction. I'm not sure why/when the city got involved... maybe they helped fund the TBA, but I don't recall that. Could be that state law allowed them to grab the money collected by the county inside of the city limits as they do with sales tax.

Immediately after the entertainment tax went into effect, concerts started ending up in Chattanooga and Johnson City instead of Knoxville. The Jackson's 1984 Victory Tour was a notable exception. I think that the nearly 20% entertainment tax went into effect as the TBA was being built or bid out.

Ironic that Hart is seeking relief from that tax from the city when it was the UTAD's facilities construction that caused an entertainment tax to first be enacted in Knoxville.

That tax went into effect as part of the funding of the TBA. However, it seems like it was Knox County and they kicked the funds into the TBA construction. I'm not sure why/when the city got involved... maybe they helped fund the TBA, but I don't recall that. Could be that state law allowed them to grab the money collected by the county inside of the city limits as they do with sales tax.

Immediately after the entertainment tax went into effect, concerts started ending up in Chattanooga and Johnson City instead of Knoxville. The Jackson's 1984 Victory Tour was a notable exception. I think that the nearly 20% entertainment tax went into effect as the TBA was being built or bid out.

Ironic that Hart is seeking relief from that tax from the city when it was the UTAD's facilities construction that caused an entertainment tax to first be enacted in Knoxville.

Thanks for the info. It's kind of a shame it turns away so many venues. Artists make more of their money on concerts and tours than they do on music sales typically.

Surprise concert in Johnson City to raise money for ETSU's football stadium.

Just my guess...

No, it applies to artists/bands/groups that want to come to Knoxville and perform.

The Facts on the Amusement Tax - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

The tax is only targeted at UT's own football games at Neyland Stadium and men's and women's basketball games at Thompson-Boling Arena. Concerts and other ticketed events that take place in both UT venues are not taxed. While it makes sense that events (such as concerts) which provide an economic benefit to the city and region are NOT assessed this targeted tax, it should also make sense to apply the same logic to events that generate a far greater economic benefit to the city such as UT football and basketball games.

Knoxville gets plenty of shows. I'd wager Atlanta and Nashville are the biggest factors we don't have more. Why would promoters choose Knox over those?

At one point the entertainment tax was 10% on top of our already high sales tax. This applied to every venue in town, from small to large and it helped close the doors to a lot of clubs during the funding of TBA. They dropped it to 5% later on but it is still high when piled on top of our tax rate.

I hope he comes to Neyland. I've seen videos of a show he did at Neyland when Peyton came on stage and it looked epic.

I think that the tickets for 2 shows at gillette stadium in under 12 min., so while I don't particularly care for his music, that's pretty "relevant"

Please notice that I used the word surprised... Never said that he wasn't relevant.

The Facts on the Amusement Tax - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

The tax is only targeted at UT's own football games at Neyland Stadium and men's and women's basketball games at Thompson-Boling Arena. Concerts and other ticketed events that take place in both UT venues are not taxed. While it makes sense that events (such as concerts) which provide an economic benefit to the city and region are NOT assessed this targeted tax, it should also make sense to apply the same logic to events that generate a far greater economic benefit to the city such as UT football and basketball games.

Interesting. I guess it's changed over the years like F77 said and I hadn't heard about the updates.

Knoxville gets plenty of shows. I'd wager Atlanta and Nashville are the biggest factors we don't have more. Why would promoters choose Knox over those?

Charlotte is another city to add to that list.

I heard a DJ on the radio, 5 or so years ago, saying the reason Knoxville isn't a big name destination had to do with one of the entertainment unions.

Maybe with the TBA tax, combined with the union thing, or something. Last big relevant band I seen in concert here was 1980 Van Halen at the KCC.

When was the first year of the TBA tax? Siap

VN Store

Back