Military badges, coins, insignia, etc....

malinoisvol

Pick up your Balls and Rattle your Cannons!
Share pictures of your badges, coins, and insignias. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears, memories, good and bad triggered in these little items.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Share pictures of your badges, coins, and insignias. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears, memories, good and bad triggered in these little items.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

That's a SHARP violation.

Reactions: 1 person
These two belong to my son (USAF). Both coins were gotten from 8th LRS at Kunsan AB, Korea (The ROC).

Had a challenge coin from the CJCS. Lost it after or during a night of drunken "I can beat anybody's coin" debauchery in Pensacola.

Shame, it was pretty cool if my memory serves.

Also, my soon to be brother-in-law designed a really cool squadron patch.

Naked girl on an apache with a bag over her head. Says "wouldn't be as fun without the bag on" or something to that effect. Apparently it's a nod to training without any visual clues or some such.

Anyone with apache history could give more details, that'd be great.

Had a challenge coin from the CJCS. Lost it after or during a night of drunken "I can beat anybody's coin" debauchery in Pensacola.

Shame, it was pretty cool if my memory serves.

That would have been a great pic. Never seen one.

Cool story, Bro. For real!

I never got into the "my coin outranks your coin" debate. The guys that had theirs always accepted if you had a coin, you had a coin and it didn't matter if it was from the CJCS or a unit coin. If the coin meant something to you, it was equal in importance to what everyone else brought to the table.

I still carry my MSG Commander's Coin when the section I led won team of the month twice in a row. I'd say my most unusual (or rare) coin I have was the Ambassador's Coin from the Baghdad Embassy I got in 2004.

I never got into the "my coin outranks your coin" debate. The guys that had theirs always accepted if you had a coin, you had a coin and it didn't matter if it was from the CJCS or a unit coin. If the coin meant something to you, it was equal in importance to what everyone else brought to the table.

I still carry my MSG Commander's Coin when the section I led won team of the month twice in a row. I'd say my most unusual (or rare) coin I have was the Ambassador's Coin from the Baghdad Embassy I got in 2004.

GV, you are an eloquent writer. Would you, sir, write a little something about coin tradition for any lurkers who are wondering.

My coins are tapping. Are yours?

You don't tap a coin. You let it drop with a resounding "ting" and wait for everyone else to figure out who's buying the next round.

Funny "cool story bro" moment from when I was in Colorado. A younger troop of mine decided to drop his coin thinking he wouldn't have to buy the next round. And upon the "ting" we all responded in kind. And not only that, but the owner of the bar (retired Army SF), his friend (retired Army) and about a half dozen members of the local Special Forces Association come over and join in the fun of dropping their coins. Poor kid had to buy like twenty drinks.

Reactions: 2 people
GV, you are an eloquent writer. Would you, sir, write a little something about coin tradition for any lurkers who are wondering.

I'm not sure eloquent and my name have ever collided in the same sentence. :)

Honestly, the Wiki article is a pretty decent source of coining, the history and the current use. And probably does a better example of explaining it than I could:

Challenge coin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't tap a coin. You let it drop with a resounding "ting" and wait for everyone else to figure out who's buying the next round.

Funny "cool story bro" moment from when I was in Colorado. A younger troop of mine decided to drop his coin thinking he wouldn't have to buy the next round. And upon the "ting" we all responded in kind. And not only that, but the owner of the bar (retired Army SF), his friend (retired Army) and about a half dozen members of the local Special Forces Association come over and join in the fun of dropping their coins. Poor kid had to buy like twenty drinks.

Thank you, sir. You hit it on the head.

You should know that everything in the military devolves to a pissing contest.

You should know that everything in the military devolves to a pissing contest.

This is true. But I've refused to buy drinks on the premise that a coin "outranks" another.

You'd get your ass kicked for saying such things with some folks I know.

Was at the hurlburt mini mall..during lunch rush hour..dropped the coin out of my wallet onto the floor. I was an E-2..it was scary..

If I can find mine I can post pics of some. I got a nice Delta Force coin back in the day for doing some quick night vision goggle field repair with some chewing gum. :machgun:

Last edited:

Tapping or dropping must be an AF thing. We slammed them down!

Tapping or dropping must be an AF thing. We slammed them down!

Slapping it on a table is authorized as well. But one must ensure the crowd knows they are being challenged as a minimum.

I have a solid copper coin from JTF-160 that doesn't really "ting" like it should. It clacks along, but makes enough racket to let everyone know it's been dropped.

VN Store

Back