Driverless Cars

Reactions: 2 people
I enjoy driving but I would loves an autopilot mode for long trips.

I'm not that old, but I'm old school. I just wouldn't trust them.

Just imagine the headlines...

30 people killed in 100 car pile up caused by an eleven year old who thought it would be fun to hack the grid.

Another woman was raped today when her cars onboard guidance system was hacked by the so called "Dot Com" serial rapist.

Just imagine...

It would be awesome to have a car that all you had to do was put directions in and sit back.

I didn't read the article, but I just wouldn't trust an autopilot. It seems like it would be a accident waiting to happen.

There's zero chance driverless cars are here in any mainstream capacity in five years. Google has them working well in Mountain View, Calif., but that's because they've mapped and photographed and modeled the streets in that town down to the half inch. The underlying sense-and-respond-and-aim-the-car technology is apparently about 95 percent of the way there, but that last five percent is A) the part that's the real b**** and B) the part that has to be conquered before self-driving cars are anything other than a research project. We're still a long way to the point where you can get in a self-driving car in some arbitrary spot like, say, Ayres Hall and trust it to drive you to some place like, say, Jefferson City. In the rain, through a construction zone, while you're taking a nap. And until we get there it's just a curiosity.

I'm eager for this technology to get here, because computers may not be perfect, but they don't get distracted, drunk, or sleepy. But I think it's going to be at least 10 years until this is something that ordinary Americans have in their lives. Probably significantly longer.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks. I was surprised to see the 5 yr prediction.

Do you think they'll replace taxis first like providing service from Orlando airport to DisneyWorld?

There's zero chance driverless cars are here in any mainstream capacity in five years. Google has them working well in Mountain View, Calif., but that's because they've mapped and photographed and modeled the streets in that town down to the half inch. The underlying sense-and-respond-and-aim-the-car technology is apparently about 95 percent of the way there, but that last five percent is A) the part that's the real b**** and B) the part that has to be conquered before self-driving cars are anything other than a research project. We're still a long way to the point where you can get in a self-driving car in some arbitrary spot like, say, Ayres Hall and trust it to drive you to some place like, say, Jefferson City. In the rain, through a construction zone, while you're taking a nap. And until we get there it's just a curiosity.

I'm eager for this technology to get here, because computers may not be perfect, but they don't get distracted, drunk, or sleepy. But I think it's going to be at least 10 years until this is something that ordinary Americans have in their lives. Probably significantly longer.

I would be curious to see how the cars control systems handle construction zones where you have lane shifts and reduced speed limits.

Thanks. I was surprised to see the 5 yr prediction.

Do you think they'll replace taxis first like providing service from Orlando airport to DisneyWorld?

That sounds about right. Other than Google's home base in California, you'd think the first place they'll become widespread will be in situations with highly repetitive, tightly limited routes. And Disney's a great candidate to be an early adopter because they can write whatever local laws they want. I don't think it'll be that long before we start seeing them in controlled situations like that.

The technological hurdles are only part of it. I'd expect existing car manufacturers to pay lip service to the idea but fight widespread adoption tooth and nail behind the scenes. Because when driverless cars become commonplace, private car ownership will plummet. Why pay to own a car that sits around in the driveway 23 hours a day when you can just subscribe to a driverless car service instead? It'll be like Zipcar on steroids. That can't be good for the auto industry.

We have similar technology in the tractors we use at my work. If our drivers get to close to the car in front of them when they are using cruise control the tractor will brake itself to maintain a safe following distance.

God, that will put so many people out of work.

But eventually into useful jobs. That's how economies progress.

The Google car has been driving around a while now and as far as I know, no accidents (somebody read ended it tho). This tech could potentially save thousands and thousands of lives annually. Put a rowing machine in your car and workout during your morning commute. Or answer emails while you are stuck in rush hour. So much potential for improving our lives.

I would expect a better rate from car insurance companies for anyone that owned a driverless car.

A machine is more efficient than human's all day everyday.

I could let the car drive for me except in situations of bad weather.

My human insecurities wouldn't allow the car to have control in downpours and snow on the roads.

I would expect a better rate from car insurance companies for anyone that owned a driverless car.

A machine is more efficient than human's all day everyday.

I've heard car insurance companies would lobby against driverless cars because they make more money off of drivers with poor driving records. Not sure of the validity though.

You can also bet there would be huge penalties for getting in a wreck while driving yourself if driverless were an option.

VN Store

Back