Is this truck a good buy?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I'm selling my Volvo and getting a new truck. I want something full-sized, with a back seat. Gas mileage isn't a huge issue as my work is very close. Looking to spend under $10,000. It's unrealistic to think I'll find something low mileage for my price range, but Knoxville Auto Brokers has this Chevy Avalanche for sale. 137,000 miles. 1 owner. $9,900. Drove it and it drives pretty well. Never been wrecked. Pulled back car fax and it looks like it hasn't needed any major maintence.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cars aren't really my thing.

Last edited:
Seems like a reasonable price. Wouldn't consider it a steal or anything.

Also not sure about the service history. I know some of the early year models weren't the most reliable. But not sure about the '03

Get a basic pre-purchase inspection. A quick lube place that does mechanical repairs can probably do it for you. That way you'll know if there is anything major wrong and where you stand on wear items like brakes.

You might hit the GM Truck forums to get "what to look for" advice for this model and if you are lucky someone might have access to GM's repair database and can run the VIN to see what shows up (though it may already show in the CarFax)

Finally, check Edmunds.com for pricing ranges.

Good luck

Get a basic pre-purchase inspection. A quick lube place that does mechanical repairs can probably do it for you. That way you'll know if there is anything major wrong and where you stand on wear items like brakes.

You might hit the GM Truck forums to get "what to look for" advice for this model and if you are lucky someone might have access to GM's repair database and can run the VIN to see what shows up (though it may already show in the CarFax)

Finally, check Edmunds.com for pricing ranges.

Good luck

That's really good advice. The dealership doesn't have a salesman ride with you on the test drive, you're saying I can just drop by at a basic auto repair shop and tell them I just want a general inspection done? Do you have any idea about what that costs?

That's really good advice. The dealership doesn't have a salesman ride with you on the test drive, you're saying I can just drop by at a basic auto repair shop and tell them I just want a general inspection done? Do you have any idea about what that costs?

Most places will charge you a half hour of labor to do a general inspection. So it would really depend on their labor rate. I would say anywhere from 30-60 bucks.

Do you have the vin? Will run a value as far as a bank would value (loan amount).

I have access to the internal service history database. We often have lots of information Carfax only dreams of. I'll check the vin at work tomorrow.

I have access to the internal service history database. We often have lots of information Carfax only dreams of. I'll check the vin at work tomorrow.

That would be really cool. I'm going to take it for another drive tomorrow.

Have you heard of a business in North Knoxville called P.A.L.S.? It stands for personal auto locator service. You go there and they will find you a vehicle within your budget. I think the price on that one is a little on the high side with that many miles.

Loan value is 6,400. Thats what a bank will use since its an 03. Clean retail was 8700. I can run auto check at work tomorrow

Have you heard of a business in North Knoxville called P.A.L.S.? It stands for personal auto locator service. You go there and they will find you a vehicle within your budget. I think the price on that one is a little on the high side with that many miles.

Been curious of this myself. Having a hard time finding a truck

Loan value is 6,400. Thats what a bank will use since its an 03. Clean retail was 8700. I can run auto check at work tomorrow

6,400 is about what I would borrow. Putting about 3,500 down on it. Just looking for small payments, and something I could easily pay off if necessary.

If you buy it, be prepared for some sticker shock if any of that plastic cladding gets damaged. The best thing Chevy ever did in regards to the Avalanche was get rid of all the plastic.

Nobody should EVER trust Carfax. I ran one of my previous cars through Carfax some time after I wrecked it and had it repaired. There wasn't even a hint of a record of it.

My dad had a completely different experience with Carfax. I forget why but he had his brand new(at the time) Honda Odyssey run through Carfax. It came back saying the van had been wrecked some time between it having been built and arriving on the lot at Honda. He was obliged to press the issue and investigate. Some time after that he received a letter from Carfax claiming they made a mistake in reporting.

Nobody should EVER trust Carfax. I ran one of my previous cars through Carfax some time after I wrecked it and had it repaired. There wasn't even a hint of a record of it.

My dad had a completely different experience with Carfax. I forget why but he had his brand new(at the time) Honda Odyssey run through Carfax. It came back saying the van had been wrecked some time between it having been built and arriving on the lot at Honda. He was obliged to press the issue and investigate. Some time after that he received a letter from Carfax claiming they made a mistake in reporting.

Used Car History Reports, Issues With Carfax & More - Conumer Reports

Vehicle looks clean from our end. There were two recalls on it, but this one had both of them serviced at 62,926 miles. No notes of any repair work from damage, just standard maintenance. It looks as though it has the LM7 V8 engine and the heavy duty trailering equipment package, so if you're wanting to pull something you're pretty well set up.

Think you are paying too much.............that and its an Avalanche, which I have always thought was a chick truck.

Reactions: 2 people
Vehicle looks clean from our end. There were two recalls on it, but this one had both of them serviced at 62,926 miles. No notes of any repair work from damage, just standard maintenance. It looks as though it has the LM7 V8 engine and the heavy duty trailering equipment package, so if you're wanting to pull something you're pretty well set up.

Thanks for checking it out for me. I am leaning towards it being a little on the high side for the price, but searching for something better in that price range hasn't brought me much of anything else. The same dealership has a Dodge RAM 1500 with 114,000 for the same price, but it's had 5 owners and it worries me. I don't want to buy a problem, and I feel like 5 owners means it's had some problems.

Has anyone ever dealt with Used Car Emporium on Chapman? They have some steals on trucks and I really don't know why. Like some too good to be true deals.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking it out for me. I am leaning towards it being a little on the high side for the price, but searching for something better in that price range hasn't brought me much of anything else. The same dealership has a Dodge RAM 1500 with 114,000 for the same price, but it's had 5 owners and it worries me. I don't want to buy a problem, and I feel like 5 owners means it's had some problems.

Has anyone ever dealt with Used Car Emporium on Chapman? They have some steals on trucks and I really don't know why. Like some too good to be true deals.

Not personally but watch out for salvaged titles

Like the poster above said, many cars at Used Car Emporium have salvage or rebuilt titles. When I was looking for a car for my son, my insurance agent (Allstate) told me that they don't insure vehicles with salvage or rebuilt titles. Period.

2003 Ford F-150 XLT Knoxville TN | serving Maryville Oak Ridge Sevierville Tennessee 2FTRF17WX3CB04160

2003 Ford F-150 XLT Knoxville TN | serving Maryville Oak Ridge Sevierville Tennessee 1FTRW07633KA96036

VN Store

Back