Pot Roast Talk

Coug

So I've done about a dozen pot roasts over the years but I haven't always had the same results each time I do it even though I've cooked it the same way each time. Sometimes the roast itself is fall apart delicious, you can shred it with a fork, where other times it requires a knife to cut it. I was wondering if it's the specific cut of the meat that's making the difference or something happening in the roasting process? I should clarify this has always been a beef roast with mirepoix(celery, carrots, onions), and potatoes, and seasoning. I always try to cook on low for 10 hours rather than high.

I'm open to any and all ideas.

Coug, what appliance are you using to cook the roast?

Wife uses same. She says to be sure not to raise the lid to many times, in doing so dries and toughens. She has cooked a couple hundred of these and I, the recipient of the pot roast, honestly can not remember a tough roast.

growing up I had pot roast at least twice a week. My mom either used a dutch oven or crock pot (crock pot for longer cooks when she wasn't around). Never did it come out tough.

I ate pot roast so much as a child that I just can't bring myself to eat it now. It was mom's favorite dish.

I'm cooking one tonight actually. It's in the pressure cooker as a type this

Wife says she seers it first on the stove. Places it, along with all veggies and seasonings, into the crock pot. Cook on high for an hour, then on low for 4 hours. Average size of roast is 4 pounds, and she says she buys the cheapest cut.

The only time mine came out tough was when I made the mistake of putting the roast on top of the veggies instead of veggies on top. Always crock pot.

The only time mine came out tough was when I made the mistake of putting the roast on top of the veggies instead of veggies on top. Always crock pot.

Pot Roast is good cooked in the oven with powdered onion soup poured on top of the roast

Last edited:
I cook one every other week and only use chuck roast. Leave the lid on is a good tip, and I use a good bit of water in mine. It always falls apart.

My wife has gotten good at roasts over the years. We've found chuck is always best. Veggies on top is always best. Onion soup powder over everything. A little water. Always on high for about four hours in the crock pot (4 lbs).

My wife has gotten good at roasts over the years. We've found chuck is always best. Veggies on top is always best. Onion soup powder over everything. A little water. Always on high for about four hours in the crock pot (4 lbs).

My best roast is chuck cut. Rub, then sear all sides, add veggies after 4 hours. I use Knorrs onion mix with a beef bouillon cube with a cup of water. Put meat in first, pour liquid over meat. Add veggies 4 hours later. Let it cook on low for another 6 hours. I turn the meat and stir after 5 hours. Leave it alone till done. Let the crock pot do the rest.

Wife says she seers it first on the stove. Places it, along with all veggies and seasonings, into the crock pot. Cook on high for an hour, then on low for 4 hours. Average size of roast is 4 pounds, and she says she buys the cheapest cut.

mom did the seer thing too now that I think about it. I grew to hate pot roast, but the smell of the meat searing on the stove always smelt amazing.

My best roast is chuck cut. Rub, then sear all sides, add veggies after 4 hours. I use Knorrs onion mix with a beef bouillon cube with a cup of water. Put meat in first, pour liquid over meat. Add veggies 4 hours later. Let it cook on low for another 6 hours. I turn the meat and stir after 5 hours. Leave it alone till done. Let the crock pot do the rest.

7 bone roasts aren't bad either

My wife's recipe calls for searing on both sides. Potatoes, onions, green peppers, celery, and carrots on top. Cover with onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low for 8 hours. The one thing she makes better than my mom. Just don't tell her I said that

I tried the crock pot thing for a while and it always ended up with so much liquid everything in there was floating. I started using one of those cooking bags in the oven with the mix that comes with the bag. Cuts the cooking time down from 6 hours to 2 and the meat is tender every time. Of course you put the veggies in the bag with the meat.

Always get a chuck or pot roast. Avoid the English roast unless you like chewey meat.

Some good tips so far. Chuck is actually one of the cuts I bombed with and it somehow turned out chewy. When I've made it I always try to do low and slow(9-10 hours). I just can't figure out why some come out pull apart juicy and the others turn in to a roast you end up carving into slices. I'm just wondering if it's a variation in meat cuts, not enough water/stock, crock pot getting too hot? I will say I've always had luck with the particular cut of meat they sell in the Tyson beef roast kits.

k2-_70b28ac5-5d3a-496c-81fe-dec20daa80c3.v1.jpg

Some good tips so far. Chuck is actually one of the cuts I bombed with and it somehow turned out chewy. When I've made it I always try to do low and slow(9-10 hours). I just can't figure out why some come out pull apart juicy and the others turn in to a roast you end up carving into slices. I'm just wondering if it's a variation in meat cuts, not enough water/stock, crock pot getting too hot? I will say I've always had luck with the particular cut of meat they sell in the Tyson beef roast kits.

k2-_70b28ac5-5d3a-496c-81fe-dec20daa80c3.v1.jpg

Chewy roast isn't bad at least to me

It was the first time I've tried it in the pressure cooker.

Had to abort. The rocker kept getting plugged for some reason. Tossed the while thing out.

Guess I'll stick w the traditional method...

So I've done about a dozen pot roasts over the years but I haven't always had the same results each time I do it even though I've cooked it the same way each time. Sometimes the roast itself is fall apart delicious, you can shred it with a fork, where other times it requires a knife to cut it. I was wondering if it's the specific cut of the meat that's making the difference or something happening in the roasting process? I should clarify this has always been a beef roast with mirepoix(celery, carrots, onions), and potatoes, and seasoning. I always try to cook on low for 10 hours rather than high.

I'm open to any and all ideas.

The marbling makes a big difference IMO. I've had some cuts that don't have enough fat and they end up being too tough

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back