looking for advice regarding college.

McDad

I can't brain today; I has the dumb.
McDaughter is a junior. We are starting the process of college selection. She's our oldest. Mom and dad are college graduates. I am hoping to get insight from those who have recently gone through this with their kids, dvice from recents college grauates, and those currently enrolled.

What would you have done differently in the application process, testing (ACT /SAT), and senior year of high school?

What was the best thing you did for admission likelihood, scholly offers, and general navigation of the system?

Were visits to the school beneficial or a waste of time?

Besides "party less, study more" what would you change about your college experience? Study abroad? Internships? Work in career placement office for inside track on jobs?

ETA: I meant to post this in the Pub. Sorry zoners. Can a mod move it over for me?

Last edited:
I'm a few years removed (graduated undergrad in '08 and Masters in '10.

I definitely recommend an ACT prep course of some kind. I just did a computer prep course but it helped quite a bit. I was under a 3.0 GPA in HS but a 27 on ACT helped quite a bit and I got into every school I applied for.

While in college have to do well in every course. I did great in the classes in my major but struggled my first two years while taking all the gen ed stuff (science and math). Bad grades in those courses meant I had a subpar GPA. Going into my Junior year I couldn't get into the program I wanted to due to my GPA, and despite the fact I was told I had the best interview of all candidates.

To further stress the importance of starting strong...when I went to get my Masters I was under academic probation for a year due to my bad undergrad GPA (2.8).

A few years down the road I'm in a completely different career field than the one I set out to be in while in college and thankful for it; but I created a lot of work for myself by not being an A/B student my first two years.

Also internships and work experience are great. I would recommend at least working part time while in school, especially if she doesn't already have a job.

Last edited:

I definately recommend an ACT prep course of some kind. I just did a computer prep course but it helped quite a bit. I was under a 3.0 GPA in HS but a 27 on ACT helped quite a bit and I got into every school I applied for.

I would definitely recommend another Masters.

Reactions: 2 people
McDaughter is a junior. We are starting the process of college selection. She's our oldest. Mom and dad are college graduates. I am hoping to get insight from those who have recently gone through this with their kids, dvice from recents college grauates, and those currently enrolled.

What would you have done differently in the application process, testing (ACT /SAT), and senior year of high school?

What was the best thing you did for admission likelihood, scholly offers, and general navigation of the system?

Were visits to the school beneficial or a waste of time?

Besides "party less, study more" what would you change about your college experience? Study abroad? Internships? Work in career placement office for inside track on jobs?

ETA: I meant to post this in the Pub. Sorry zoners. Can a mod move it over for me?

Both of my kids took the act. One scored 28, the other a 31. Neither took a prep class. Your kid should be able to take it once in her senior year, free of charge. Once she gets her score, it should let you know where she stands and if prep courses may be necessary.

I took my oldest son on a tour of the university that was offering the best scholarship. We met with everyone I wanted to speak with - Department head of the Biomed department, the soccer coach, admissions and financial aid department, etc... Got all the answers we needed on the trip.

The one thing I would change for my youngest son was not applying to Vandy. That said, he ended up getting the best scholly that CBU offered and is currently getting a very good education. As far as internships go, my oldest added greatly to his resume' by doing a research fellowship at St. Jude, volunteer work for the Church Health center and volunteering for Hospice. Things like that (internships, volunteer work, etc.) in your daughter's choice of field will grab future employers' attention. The career placement office might not be a bad idea. Work-study is good for the resume and gives them a little pocket change.

I was fortunate to crush my ACT, and it helped with scholarships, but I was still dumb and went the private route. Internships and experience are way more important than the actual school you go to (this can vary, depending on Major/career field and obviously going to an Ivy League school, Vandy, Duke, Stanford, etc are different beasts altogether) but don't put too much emphasis on the where if you can still get a good education somewhere that will give the opportunities for experience and work opportunities.

I'm a current student at UK. Maybe I can help. Any questions, just ask.

As for testing, like the ACT/SAT, it's useful to find a good book, or even some prep classes. Sometimes the high school has teachers or after school stuff who will help. Mine didn't but, I heard other students had teachers who took time to practice. Simply googling ACT practice, or info about the ACT will help a ton. And remember, a good ACT will help a below average gpa. I got a very high ACT, my gpa was barely above average, but a lot of colleges would love that ACT score. Only problem is that the gpa might hold you back when you want to get into certain programs or scholarships. I don't know much about the SAT. I never took it. I applied to UK in November of my senior year. Got accepted around the end of year. I had considered Vandy, UL, and UT a bit. But I grew up around campus, and felt that UK had good enough programs to get my bachelors from and if I wanted to pursue further I could look around for the best specific university for my needs.

Im my experience, its best to go out and look for scholarships, than to expect them to come to you. There are tons of stuff out there. There are definitely going to be the standard university scholarships for gpa and etc, but lots of money is out there for stuff you wouldn't expect. A quick google search will reveal it.

I never officially visited anywhere. I've been on campus at UK more times than I can count. I had visited UL with a friend who went there. I knew people who attended Vandy and UT. I got their opinions on the school. I'm sure an official visit would be nice, but for me it wasn't a huge. issue. I would have been happy with a crappy campus if the programs were ok. If she's living on campus, then I would visit. Try to visit when you think it'll be nice too.

Key for application stuff and admissions is just get them done in timely fashion. If you're applying for multiple schools around, there is something called a Common Application, which makes sure you don't have to have to make an individual application for each school. Apply early, make sure you study on all applicable programs (like honors, etc). If you're getting FAFSA stuff, then do it early. I believe the window is different for each state, but at least in KY it opens early in the year and last for a long time until the middle of the year. Other states might have smaller windows.

As for application itself, just make sure you think of everything possible to make yourself look good. Teacher recommendations, clubs, sports, anything and everything. You want to make yourself a well rounded individual on an application. More than likely some applications (for UK at least) might have you write a short essay about something you've experienced, etc. I'm not sure how important it ultimately is, but dont rush through it and take it lightly.

As for college itself, the big thing is just to find a balance where you are comfortable. Learn where to study. If she's living on campus, maybe with a roommate or something, then use the libraries. You never know what might happen in a dorm. Tell her to relax. Lots of first year students get stressed and overwhelm themselves. Its important to have some way to enjoy yourself. I would probably blow up from all the crap I've gone through, if I didn't find a way to vent. Stuff isn't going to go a students way all the time, but you have to be able to stand up for yourself and do your best.

I'd say definitely try to advise her to get to know professors of classes she enjoys. I personally got to know a few, and ended up talking a lot with them outside of class. They can be great role models if its an area you're going into, and very helpful when it comes time for recommendations if you need them. Overall, it's important simply to just be able to get involved in some way. You won't gain anything by never speaking or having a voice. I learned that very quickly in a lot of my classes. It's best to get out of your comfort zone and do stuff.

The only thing I would have done differently in college is not declare my major when I started. I came on with a decent amount of college credit my first year. I declared history, having taken 3 AP History classes in high school and it being something interesting. I'll graduate with a history degree, but I can definitely say that you don't want to find yourself halfway down a path, questioning if you made the right choice. She can take her time and figure it out as she finishes her basics.

That was a lot more than I thought I would write, hope i helped in some small way.

1. Take the act as many times as possible. You keep your best score from each compartment. If she doesn't do well on one section, focus in on that section and take it again. Take it everytime it's offered.

2. Consider going to community college for 2 years. It's a lot cheaper and most schools have so many freshmen and sophmores leave that it's easier to get in as a community college transfer.

1. Take the act as many times as possible. You keep your best score from each compartment. If she doesn't do well on one section, focus in on that section and take it again. Take it everytime it's offered.

2. Consider going to community college for 2 years. It's a lot cheaper and most schools have so many freshmen and sophmores leave that it's easier to get in as a community college transfer.

I believe after a certain amount of attempts, maybe 3 if I remember correctly, they start to average your score out of the attempts and not take your highest. If that's still the case I would stop taking after the certain amount of attempts since it could lower your score.

Son graduated TN Tech, he breezed through without problem. He knew he wanted to be an engineer from the jump and that's what he did, graduated with a 3+ GPA. Against our wishes he joined a fraternity his freshman year and to my surprise Greek life was good for him. I think it kept him involved and helped him adapt to college.

Daughter is a junior at UTK, she has muddled through, changed majors a couple times and lost her lottery scholarship. Greek life distracted her.

Only piece of advice I can give is keep her focused her freshman year as much as possible. What hurt our daughter was she took several dual enrollment classes and AP classes in HS so when she started college she had almost completed her freshman credits. The way the lottery works is after x amount of credits they have to have (I think) a 3.0 to keep it. Those HS dual enrolment and AP credits count towards that number but not towards the GPA.

I am about 17 years removed from applying to college, and I was kind of destined for UT as my brother had gone there. However, my parents did one thing that I really enjoyed. They took me to several campuses to visit. They started my sophomore year of high school and worked around trips and vacations.

My Dad took me to a Notre Dame-BC football game in South Bend. We went to a Michigan-Memphis football game in Ann Arbor. We went on a week long trip through TN to North Carolina and visited Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest. I really liked Wake Forest. My Dad and I took a trip up to Indiana.

Anyway, not everyone has the time and/or money to do it, and you obviously don't want to trip somewhere that she won't consider. But, it is nice to see the differences in schools. If you only visit one or two, you may miss out on something that you would really enjoy.

I definitely recommend an ACT prep course of some kind. I just did a computer prep course but it helped quite a bit. I was under a 3.0 GPA in HS but a 27 on ACT helped quite a bit and I got into every school I applied for.

While in college have to do well in every course. I did great in the classes in my major but struggled my first two years while taking all the gen ed stuff (science and math). Bad grades in those courses meant I had a subpar GPA. Going into my Junior year I couldn't get into the program I wanted to due to my GPA, and despite the fact I was told I had the best interview of all candidates.

To further stress the importance of starting strong...when I went to get my Masters I was under academic probation for a year due to my bad undergrad GPA (2.8).

A few years down the road I'm in a completely different career field than the one I set out to be in while in college and thankful for it; but I created a lot of work for myself by not being an A/B student my first two years.

Also internships and work experience are great. I would recommend at least working part time while in school, especially if she doesn't already have a job.

Are internships and work study opportunities arranged through each department at school or is there a central office that handles all of it?

Are internships and work study opportunities arranged through each department at school or is there a central office that handles all of it?

a lot of it is your own research. Each department will post some available ones, but McDaughter should do her own research to find some she's interested in.

Both of my kids took the act. One scored 28, the other a 31. Neither took a prep class. Your kid should be able to take it once in her senior year, free of charge. Once she gets her score, it should let you know where she stands and if prep courses may be necessary.

I took my oldest son on a tour of the university that was offering the best scholarship. We met with everyone I wanted to speak with - Department head of the Biomed department, the soccer coach, admissions and financial aid department, etc... Got all the answers we needed on the trip.

The one thing I would change for my youngest son was not applying to Vandy. That said, he ended up getting the best scholly that CBU offered and is currently getting a very good education. As far as internships go, my oldest added greatly to his resume' by doing a research fellowship at St. Jude, volunteer work for the Church Health center and volunteering for Hospice. Things like that (internships, volunteer work, etc.) in your daughter's choice of field will grab future employers' attention. The career placement office might not be a bad idea. Work-study is good for the resume and gives them a little pocket change.

When you toured and met everyone, did you have things you knew would be make or break? If so, would you share?

I'm a current student at UK. Maybe I can help. Any questions, just ask.

As for testing, like the ACT/SAT, it's useful to find a good book, or even some prep classes. Sometimes the high school has teachers or after school stuff who will help. Mine didn't but, I heard other students had teachers who took time to practice. Simply googling ACT practice, or info about the ACT will help a ton. And remember, a good ACT will help a below average gpa. I got a very high ACT, my gpa was barely above average, but a lot of colleges would love that ACT score. Only problem is that the gpa might hold you back when you want to get into certain programs or scholarships. I don't know much about the SAT. I never took it. I applied to UK in November of my senior year. Got accepted around the end of year. I had considered Vandy, UL, and UT a bit. But I grew up around campus, and felt that UK had good enough programs to get my bachelors from and if I wanted to pursue further I could look around for the best specific university for my needs.

Im my experience, its best to go out and look for scholarships, than to expect them to come to you. There are tons of stuff out there. There are definitely going to be the standard university scholarships for gpa and etc, but lots of money is out there for stuff you wouldn't expect. A quick google search will reveal it.

I never officially visited anywhere. I've been on campus at UK more times than I can count. I had visited UL with a friend who went there. I knew people who attended Vandy and UT. I got their opinions on the school. I'm sure an official visit would be nice, but for me it wasn't a huge. issue. I would have been happy with a crappy campus if the programs were ok. If she's living on campus, then I would visit. Try to visit when you think it'll be nice too.

Key for application stuff and admissions is just get them done in timely fashion. If you're applying for multiple schools around, there is something called a Common Application, which makes sure you don't have to have to make an individual application for each school. Apply early, make sure you study on all applicable programs (like honors, etc). If you're getting FAFSA stuff, then do it early. I believe the window is different for each state, but at least in KY it opens early in the year and last for a long time until the middle of the year. Other states might have smaller windows.

As for application itself, just make sure you think of everything possible to make yourself look good. Teacher recommendations, clubs, sports, anything and everything. You want to make yourself a well rounded individual on an application. More than likely some applications (for UK at least) might have you write a short essay about something you've experienced, etc. I'm not sure how important it ultimately is, but dont rush through it and take it lightly.

As for college itself, the big thing is just to find a balance where you are comfortable. Learn where to study. If she's living on campus, maybe with a roommate or something, then use the libraries. You never know what might happen in a dorm. Tell her to relax. Lots of first year students get stressed and overwhelm themselves. Its important to have some way to enjoy yourself. I would probably blow up from all the crap I've gone through, if I didn't find a way to vent. Stuff isn't going to go a students way all the time, but you have to be able to stand up for yourself and do your best.

I'd say definitely try to advise her to get to know professors of classes she enjoys. I personally got to know a few, and ended up talking a lot with them outside of class. They can be great role models if its an area you're going into, and very helpful when it comes time for recommendations if you need them. Overall, it's important simply to just be able to get involved in some way. You won't gain anything by never speaking or having a voice. I learned that very quickly in a lot of my classes. It's best to get out of your comfort zone and do stuff.

The only thing I would have done differently in college is not declare my major when I started. I came on with a decent amount of college credit my first year. I declared history, having taken 3 AP History classes in high school and it being something interesting. I'll graduate with a history degree, but I can definitely say that you don't want to find yourself halfway down a path, questioning if you made the right choice. She can take her time and figure it out as she finishes her basics.

That was a lot more than I thought I would write, hope i helped in some small way.

Very helpful in many ways. Thank u

Point 2 was interesting and, as practical advice goes, was the first thing I thought. I really wish I had taken that route. It's been quite some time since I was in school ('99), but I personally could've saved close to 40% on my undergrad if I had done so.

Also, I don't know where your daughter is in regards to her scholastic work ethic, but my best friend from HS had such an issue. Going the CC route allowed him to ease himself into a college academic workload and make the HS to college transition curve less steep. Today he has his masters and works for a large pharmaceutical company.

Good luck to your daughter and family and God Bless.

Last edited:
Regarding ACT prep / review courses, what's the general feeling on how much do they help? Seems that taking the test and then taking a prep course and going from a composite 16 to a 26 may be easier than going from a 26 to a 31. Thoughts?

Point 2 was interesting and, as practical advice goes, was the first thing I thought. I really wish I had taken that route. It's been quite some time since I was in school ('99), but I personally could've saved close to 40% on my undergrad if I had done so.

Also, I don't know where your daughter is in regards to her scholastic work ethic, but my best friend from HS had such an issue. Going the CC route allowed him to ease himself into a college academic workload and make the HS to college transition curve less steep. Today he has his masters and works for a large pharmaceutical company.

Good luck to your daughter and family and God Bless.

Thank you for the well-wishes. We are considering the CC route if scholarships aren't in the picture.

Son graduated TN Tech, he breezed through without problem. He knew he wanted to be an engineer from the jump and that's what he did, graduated with a 3+ GPA. Against our wishes he joined a fraternity his freshman year and to my surprise Greek life was good for him. I think it kept him involved and helped him adapt to college.

Daughter is a junior at UTK, she has muddled through, changed majors a couple times and lost her lottery scholarship. Greek life distracted her.

Only piece of advice I can give is keep her focused her freshman year as much as possible. What hurt our daughter was she took several dual enrollment classes and AP classes in HS so when she started college she had almost completed her freshman credits. The way the lottery works is after x amount of credits they have to have (I think) a 3.0 to keep it. Those HS dual enrolment and AP credits count towards that number but not towards the GPA.

Very interesting. We are considering dual enrollment this summer and for her senior year thinking it will give her a leg up. Sounds like had the reverse effect for your girl.

When you toured and met everyone, did you have things you knew would be make or break? If so, would you share?

The soccer team didn't concern me, but I wanted to speak to the coach about it. The BIG thing I wanted was to speak to the department head. If I didn't feel like he had his stuff together, that was a deal breaker. Turned out, he provided an online manual that was updated constantly on getting into med school. The guy was seriously impressive, in my view. He hit it out of the park, which relieved me because my oldest got around 17k in scholly's from that school per year. (not nearly a full ride, but it doesn't hurt)I also took him to UT, where his mother and I both attended and the options were limited for stuff like that. (I'm all-Vol, mind you, but I didn't like it and my son didn't either) I even got us front row tickets to a Vol FB game and that still didn't do it for him.

Oh, I forgot to mention grades in high school. One of the reasons he got the scholly is that his grades showed steady improvement while in high school. Volunteer work doesn't hurt, either, whether applying for school offered scholarships or going for the outside ones. As someone mentioned earlier, the colleges all like a well-rounded student.

Good luck to you and her! I know it's a tough time for both of you. Sometimes you feel like you need an instruction book on stuff like this, but you probably don't.

Very interesting. We are considering dual enrollment this summer and for her senior year thinking it will give her a leg up. Sounds like had the reverse effect for your girl.

I took a dual enrollment class in high school instead of Calc). This was now 3 or 4 years ago, and the way it worked was it covered a particular credit for those who weren't going into a math major. But there was some issue for those who were going into a math field that the credit wouldn't work the same. Also, I can't remember if there are specific requirements (Test scores) to get in, but I seem to remember there was.

Another thing, like someone else said, you can take the ACT as many times as you want. But I believe, like he said, the college will begin to average it out instead. Personal opinion, I think 3 is about the max you can take until you stop improving (unless you know you bombed it somehow). We took them junior year, and you can take them all the way through the senior year.

Definitely do all the tours. My daughter and I went to 20 different schools before I reluctantly let her go to auburn.

VN Store

Back