First human head transplant in 2017?

Mtntrout

First human head transplant could happen in two years - health - 25 February 2015 - New Scientist

The idea was first proposed in 2013 by Sergio Canavero of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group in Italy. He wants to use the surgery to extend the lives of people whose muscles and nerves have degenerated or whose organs are riddled with cancer. Now he claims the major hurdles, such as fusing the spinal cord and preventing the body's immune system from rejecting the head, are surmountable, and the surgery could be ready as early as 2017.

As with many unprecedented procedures, there may also be concerns about a slippery slope. In this case, it would be whether this would eventually lead to people swapping bodies for cosmetic reasons. However, Scripko – who doesn't believe the surgery will ever happen – doesn't think this applies here. "If a head transplant were ever to take place, it would be very rare. It's not going to happen because someone says 'I'm getting older, I'm arthritic, maybe I should get a body that works better and looks better'."

I had read about the monkey head transplant in 1970, but this still creeps me out.

This is all backwards. If it ever became a reality it would be thought of as a body transplant rather than a head transplant. And it would be a common elective surgery for wealthy old people, so instead of like now, when they're going around with creepy old stretched out heads on shriveled old padded bodies, they'd be going around with creepy old stretched out heads on young hot bodies.

I'm just about due for a new chassis myself....

Now they just have to perfect the technique of removing one's head from one's sphincter.

Footage of the last attempt

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHNA_j7h5A[/youtube]

VN Store

Back