Sleep Study

VolsSportsFan

Mo Money Mo Problems - Michael Scott
Anyone had one to determine sleep apnea, and if so, did you have trouble sleeping?

I had one last night and it went pretty badly. Out of the 7 hours I was supposed to sleep, it felt like I may have slept 1.5. Probably closer to 3 but I'm afraid they didn't get enough actual sleep to determine if I have apnea or not.

My wife had one and said the same thing. They still got the data they needed.

That said, I'm willing to name our first child CPAP. That thing is a Godsend.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone had one to determine sleep apnea, and if so, did you have trouble sleeping?

I had one last night and it went pretty badly. Out of the 7 hours I was supposed to sleep, it felt like I may have slept 1.5. Probably closer to 3 but I'm afraid they didn't get enough actual sleep to determine if I have apnea or not.

I got sleep apnea and it is horrible to sleep during the study.. But as soon as you go to sleep they can tell if you need it or not...
I'm not an expert but guys I work with fall asleep while watching tv and they stop breathing snoring just like that... So I don't think they need many hours to determine that, jmo

I had a family member get this done. His experience sounded identical to what you described OP.

Everyone I know (including me) that has done a sleep study has come back with apnea. I'm beginning to think it may be something over diagnosed. Does anyone know of a case of sleep study where it was determined, you aint got that? To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I had three studies done last year. The first determined I had apnea. The second study was used for titration (set the machine pressure).

I had an AHI of over 70 and mostly central apneas caused as a side effect of spinal surgery. Although the doctor said I needed an ASV machine, insurance required we try bipap first.

The third and final study was required by insurance before they would pay for an ASV machine (which every body referred to as the Cadillac of machines) to prove the high end machine actually worked. Now that I have the machine my AHI is less than one and I don't spend the day trying to stay awake.

So, work with them, stay with it and if you need CPAP use it. I can tell you I finally found it helped more than I ever expected.

My wife had one and said the same thing. They still got the data they needed.

That said, I'm willing to name our first child CPAP. That thing is a Godsend.

If it's a boy, name him Luke. Then you can say "Luke, I am your father" when you wear it.

You are correct. They are a Godsend. You just can't beat a good night's sleep.

Reactions: 1 person
That's what I'm hoping.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I underwent the study at UT Med center where I stopped breathing 58 times in one hour, basically once per minute. Sleep apnea is a serious thing that shouldn't be ignored. Ironically, one problem I had led to the diagnosis of apnea, Atrial Fibrillation. Afib is a rapid heartbeat only affecting the top portion of the heart, the atrium. It beats rapidly while the lower portion, ventricle beats normally. This causes the timing to be off and reduced blood flow and a high risk for stroke.

My heart doctor put me on meds to keep my heart from going into afib. I felt the meds were zapping my energy and when I protested to the doctor, he said "you've got sleep apnea written all over you" (I'm a little overweight). He said there was a link between sleep apnea and Afib. He immediately ordered up a sleep study for me. This doctor literally saved my life.

After the sleep study I was prescribed a cpap machine as standard procedure. I did OK with the machine for a few days but in order to sleep I had to use Lunesta. After the script ran out I found it difficult to sleep. It also led to repeated sinus infections. My sleep doctor then sent me to an ENT. She determined that most of my apnea was probably caused by enlarged tonsils. She thought she could cure the apnea with a tonsillectomy and some sinus surgery.

After those procedures a followup sleep study has shown my apnea is gone. I still snore some but the breathing interruptions has ceased. My Afib is gone completely, and my energy level sky rocketed. My doctors all agree that I may have had some form of apnea as far back as my teenage years.

Good luck!

Just my opinion, but if you be snoring, you got da apnea.

I guess that's technically correct but snoring represents partial resistance in breathing as opposed to 100% stoppage of breathing. If your breathing a little, you're at least getting some oxygen. In my study my O2 level was approaching 80%.

I was like you OP. Never thought I needed it, about the third night home with the CPAP, it worked . I woke up the next morning and realized I had not had a good night's sleep in close to a decade. Found energy that I had lost.

I recommend it highly.

Everyone I know (including me) that has done a sleep study has come back with apnea. I'm beginning to think it may be something over diagnosed. Does anyone know of a case of sleep study where it was determined, you aint got that? To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I didn't. I wanted the automatic 50% VA disability rating but no luck!

Last edited:

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of that has to do with the way people are referred to them. It's not like it's a routine test almost everyone gets. When certain symptoms are presented it doesn't take much to figure out that apnea is probably what's going on. The sleep study usually confirms what they suspect is going on.

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of that has to do with the way people are referred to them. It's not like it's a routine test almost everyone gets. When certain symptoms are presented it doesn't take much to figure out that apnea is probably what's going on. The sleep study usually confirms what they suspect is going on.

Yep, I would bet a lot of times it's just given to check the box for the insurance companies.

For those of you that have CPAPs, my wife seems to go back and forth between the nose and full face masks. Is that ok? (She's a nurse...they can be a bit stubborn about medical issues)

Do you all have a preference?

I found I really did not have a choice. I breathe through my mouth at times and therefore have to use the full face mask. I have actually grown fond of using it. With the humidifier hooked in the heated moist air is great, especially in the cold, dry winter air.

For those of you that have CPAPs, my wife seems to go back and forth between the nose and full face masks. Is that ok? (She's a nurse...they can be a bit stubborn about medical issues)

Do you all have a preference?

Well if I'm given one I may have to get the mask because I also have a very deviated septum and my right nostril stops up nightly and I breathe through my mouth.

By the end of the year I hope to have that fixed.

I found I really did not have a choice. I breathe through my mouth at times and therefore have to use the full face mask. I have actually grown fond of using it. With the humidifier hooked in the heated moist air is great, especially in the cold, dry winter air.

Good point. The humidified air has done wonders for her.

So I got the call and they said my results came back negative. I'm going to have to push for another test I guess. I get the idea of wanting to get a result but given what I've been through sleep wise, I'm sorry but I don't think that one test was enough. It's like saying you have a fluttering heartbeat but the EKG doesn't catch it.

Had the test many years ago, needed a CPAP. The best sleep I got was when I turned the damn thing off ! It was like a freight train running through the room.

They might be quieter now, don't know.

VN Store

Back