Looking to buy a grill

kunsanvol

I'm tired of buying 200$ grills at SAMs for them to only last a couple of years before they start falling apart. I'm willing to spend up to 1000$ and I really want a hybrid type grill that I can use charcoal or gas. Suggestions?

Weber. I know several people that have had them 10+ years. Only part they have had to replace are the heat diffusers.

Webers are great. I have a Ducane that I bought in 2007 and its in excellent condition because I clean and cover it after every grill. I think Weber bought them out, so they may not make them anymore.

If you want to spend closer to $1,000ish, go with the Green Egg. They are well worth the $$

I can't wait for grilling season. You can't beat the taste of grilled burgers and steaks

Webers are great. I have a Ducane that I bought in 2007 and its in excellent condition because I clean and cover it after every grill. I think Weber bought them out, so they may not make them anymore.

If you want to spend closer to $1,000ish, go with the Green Egg. They are well worth the $$

Ducane is still around. I've owned both the Weber E-310 and Ducane Affinity, both 3 burners. The Weber had more uniform heat and lasted longer but was also more expensive. I'd probably chose Weber among those 2.

I agree but it takes too long for everyday grilling

If you dont have time for the best food then you don't deserve it.

Just kidding. I bought a hybrid gas charcoal char griller and love it. I have not ever used the propane yet but I understand why it is a need.

Reactions: 1 person
Weber though I don't think they make a hybrid. Best option would be the E-300 series (as stated above) and a Weber kettle charcoal grill. You could easily stay under $1k and have 2 great grills.

BGEgg does some amazing things but I found it overkill for steaks and even burgers.

As for the old charcoal vs gas "which tastes better" it is entirely a matter of what you are cooking IMHO. There's a reason the best steak houses in the country don't cook over wood or charcoal - these smokes over power the flavor of the meat. Burgers can handle it and chicken/pork practically beg for some smoke but good steak and fish can be over powered. Other meats like brats, sausages wouldn't see much difference YMMV.

Reactions: 3 people
I have a horizon offset charcoal smoker that I also use as my primary grill. Charcoal isn't too bad on time, just make sure you use a chimney. I've never bought into charcoal over powering meat flavor as long as you set up your air dampers correctly to let it flow out easy. Gas is better for convenience and searing, but falls up short IMO in the long smokes and forming the much loved bark as well. My dad has a wood pellet traeger and it works well for a set and forget type of mentality, but the smoke flavor always seems more mild off these. It is also extremely difficult to get a good direct searing hot spot on it.

Back to my offset. I bought it at bass pro for about $850. I love the thing. Just keep it out of the elements (rain) and it should outlive you. The sucker is 1/4" steel all the way around and fully welded. It has very little leakage if any and holds heat well. Like all offsets, it does have a temperature gradient where stuff closer to the firebox cooks faster. Horizon makes a convection plate you can buy direct from them to counter this, but after using it a few times without one, you Learn how to use it to your advantage. There are very few negatives about it. It does weigh a ton.... And charcoal as mentioned isn't instant heat like gas, but people make too much out of that really. You learn to plan ahead. I have the 16" (I think) variety. They also make a larger one but I've fed about 50 people off pulled pork from mine and don't really feel the need to do more.

Every setup comes with pros and cons, but you really ought to decide if you want charcoal, wood pellet, gas, or hybrid first. Then look for how thick the steel is (better heat retention), how good the seals on your joints are (less leakage), how many/where/design of air dampers (smoke/heat control), and the warrenty on it. $1000 can buy you a nice setup.

Let me know if you get a horizon or anything really. I'd love to share some tips on breaking it in and what not. BBQ is a bit of a hobby of mine.

I've had a Char-griller brand Kamado style grill for 3 years now and it cooks very comparably to the BGE. Got it for $190 at Kroger on closeout... maybe the best money I've ever spent. I keep it in the dry and it's in great condition.

For those in a hurry: get a chimney-style charcoal lighter. I can have it ready to roll in 15-20 minutes.

Amazed with this many comments so far that the Egg aficionados hadn't been too vocal yet

Bought a similar Weber a few months ago and have loved it. Don't always have the time or energy to deal with charcoal

when it warms up, I getting it in the natural gas model
I'm going to have a line run from my fireplace onto the patio.

Amazed with this many comments so far that the Egg aficionados hadn't been too vocal yet

You rang? :)

Yes, I'm partial to my BGE but I still have one the original Weber Q's I picked up in 2003 or so. It still works great and I sometimes have both going at the same time.

I use my Weber Q for hot/fast/small cooks. I use my BGE for thick chops, slower cooks, or any time I want a wood/smoke flavor.

VN Store

Back