Gus' Fried Chicken

Glad to hear things are up for Gus!

gusfring.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Mixed emotions. Other people should be able to enjoy the food, but it is nice to have something strictly in this area. Plus, expanding isn't always the best. Just ask Corky's.

Reactions: 1 person
Mixed emotions. Other people should be able to enjoy the food, but it is nice to have something strictly in this area. Plus, expanding isn't always the best. Just ask Corky's.

I don't care for the expansion. I think it will bring down the brand. But others outside of the area won't notice.

Gus's is amazing. Great chicken.

Like some others said though it may not be as good though. There can be quite a difference even between the different locations here in Memphis.

Gus's is amazing. Great chicken.

Like some others said though it may not be as good though. There can be quite a difference even between the different locations here in Memphis.

I think the Mendenhall location in East Memphis is the best one.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the Mendenhall location in East Memphis is the best one.

That's interesting. I think I have only had theirs once or twice from someone getting it for me. I used to live downtown and been to that one several times, but now we use the Collierville one because we live in the burbs.

I think the Collierville one is good and easy to get in and out, and it is an old home. So, you can dine in different rooms.

I agree about the expanding part - It seems a risk for them to go to major cities like Chicago, Philly and those others that already have alot of choices --- IMO a mid size city would be a better choice

Never tried it. Is it a spicy fried chicken kind of joint?

What menu items do you guys really like?

The menu choices are white or dark meat ckicken, and chicken fingers.

It's got some kick/spice to it but I don't think I'd call it "hot". It's a nice happy medium IMO. Wouldn't hurt to bring along some tums though.

Last edited:

Depends on your level of liking for spiciness. Im not a big fan of spicy things but this is awesome chicken,and it does have a kick

some would hate it and others might barely notice the spiciness

Depends on your level of liking for spiciness. Im not a big fan of spicy things but this is awesome chicken,and it does have a kick

This. My wife doesn't like a hint of spice and only gets the fingers. I think it's fantastic. The downtown one usually cooks to order, so it can also be temperature hot as well.

Sides are also good- fries, mac n cheese, beans, and I think the Collierville one may have okra. If you order a chicken sandwich, you get a piece of bone-in chicken between two pieces of bread.

The menu choices are white or dark meat ckicken, and chicken fingers.

It's got some kick/spice to it but I don't think I'd call it "hot". It's a nice happy medium IMO. Wouldn't hurt to bring along some tums though.

Bojangles is similar I guess. They do fried chicken with a bit of spice. It's nothing on the level of a hot sauce or buffalo sauce kind of heat.

I like Mendenhall better because the chicken seems to be better. I live in Collierville and like that location, but the chicken always seems to be over cooked and not as juicy.

And yes, I will say that Gus' is the best I've ever had.

They opened one in Nashville last year or year before and it didn't last long. I never got a chance to try it.
Yeah. I rarely get to that Nippers Corner area and it seemed like it was shut down almost as soon as I noticed it.

I've stood in line at the one in Memphis and while it's okay fried chicken it's no more worth the wait than the breakfast at Pancake Pantry.

Yeah. I rarely get to that Nippers Corner area and it seemed like it was shut down almost as soon as I noticed it.

I've stood in line at the one in Memphis and while it's okay fried chicken it's no more worth the wait than the breakfast at Pancake Pantry.

The hot chicken place at Nipper's Corner is still Gus's, they just rebranded it as Louisiana style hot chicken for some reason.

VN Store

Back