Build a lumber log cabin

StoVol

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified,
poster named stoney came up with this excellent idea using kiln dried 2x8's nailed together with the center one raised an inch or two for the next log to tongue and groove into.. log stacking is the butt and pass technique

Easy and Cheap Log Cabin - Small Cabin Forum (1)

I know it will not escape the tinkerers among you that the inside and outside are finished in one go, and that r value of lumber does not take into account thermal mass.. check the link
4568_1.jpg

4568_2.jpg

55818_3.jpg

That's probably how big Abe Lincoln's father's cabin was
hehe.. that third pic is of a guys wellhouse trying to to do a trial build before doing something bigger.. Stoney built his first garage shell for 3000 i believe

I was hoping to check out the detail of the work but the pictures are rather small.

I was hoping to check out the detail of the work but the pictures are rather small.

the link has 8 pages with lots more examples and bigger pictures

What a ridiculously good idea! I might have to try one if these in the future.

not much thermal mass in a couple 2x nailed together. but for the quick and relatively simple construction it is, it is a good system for a cabin/weekend getaway house but wouldn't make it my full time residence. but even your kiln dried stuff will start going wrong in a couple years if there is no finish. I would be interested to see pictures after a few years, I am willing to bet the joints aren't so clean then.

not much thermal mass in a couple 2x nailed together. but for the quick and relatively simple construction it is, it is a good system for a cabin/weekend getaway house but wouldn't make it my full time residence. but even your kiln dried stuff will start going wrong in a couple years if there is no finish. I would be interested to see pictures after a few years, I am willing to bet the joints aren't so clean then.
it is of course stained inside and out, joints are glued with titebond III and the seams are "caulked" with construction adhesive

VN Store

Back