5.11 Tactical

rjd970

Anybody have any experience with their stuff? Looking to get a few pants and shirts for work. I have talked to a few guys and I'm getting mixed reviews.

Anybody have any experience with their stuff? Looking to get a few pants and shirts for work. I have talked to a few guys and I'm getting mixed reviews.

Wash it in cold and don't use dryer stuff will fade..

I have a hard time paying their current prices sometimes. Their pants used to be bulletproof but they aren't quite as perfect as they used to be (Still good, something is just a bit off). Depends what line of work as to whether I'd vouch for them.

I will say, their belt with a non-metal buckle is AWESOME. I go through metal detectors at work and that thing has been a godsend.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a hard time paying their current prices sometimes. Their pants used to be bulletproof but they aren't quite as perfect as they used to be (Still good, something is just a bit off). Depends what line of work as to whether I'd vouch for them.

I will say, their belt with a non-metal buckle is AWESOME. I go through metal detectors at work and that thing has been a godsend.

I'm looking for some duty work gear, austere work conditions. Something warm in the winter, cool in the summer. The prices do seem a little high, but if I'm getting what I pay for I don't mind.

I haven't checked their other stuff, only the pants and shirts. I need a good belt, will definitely look into it.

Some people swear by them, others say don't waste your money. I like going to an actual store for clothes but I can't right now, have to get everything online. Mostly depending on recommendations from others before I buy.

I'm looking for some duty work gear, austere work conditions. Something warm in the winter, cool in the summer. The prices do seem a little high, but if I'm getting what I pay for I don't mind.

I haven't checked their other stuff, only the pants and shirts. I need a good belt, will definitely look into it.

Some people swear by them, others say don't waste your money. I like going to an actual store for clothes but I can't right now, have to get everything online. Mostly depending on recommendations from others before I buy.

Far too expensive imo. I took a combo of their stuff and Columbia outdoor clothes to Afghanistan. 4 years later and the Columbia stuff still seems new and I wear them regularly. The 5.11 stuff was beat up just from the deployment. No holes or rips, but the look awful.

Given those uses, I think Bill's is pretty accurate. Hard to recommend for that given their price.

Love the belts though, haha.

Given those uses, I think Bill's is pretty accurate. Hard to recommend for that given their price.

Love the belts though, haha.

I've heard numerous complaints similar to mine. A lot of military types just like them for the idea. In addition to the Columbia stuff lasting far longer, they were also way more comfortable. Not as many pockets was the only gripe for the Columbia stuff.

I've heard numerous complaints similar to mine. A lot of military types just like them for the idea. In addition to the Columbia stuff lasting far longer, they were also way more comfortable. Not as many pockets was the only gripe for the Columbia stuff.

I've always been thrilled with my Columbia stuff.

They bought the nuke techs I work with some 511 pants several years ago. The ones from the original purchase are just now wearing out. The ones bought in the last year or so just don't hold up like the other ones.

I think our guards just got new ones. I'll see what they think.

Check out Mountain Khakis. I've had nothing but luck with them and I have had terrible experiences with almost every pair of pants I've owned. Having larger than avg quads and calves is an issue for me. I end up ripping out crotches and the Mountain Khakis have held up through some brutal conditions.

I've got some sets that are going on six years old and still going strong. But the colors do fade pretty bad. Khaki seems to do okay though.

And I'll second the belts. I used one of the riggers belts (with the metal buckle) for an Iraq deployment and another five years as a duty belt. Still going strong and I use it for a work belt now.

One thing about being cooler in the summer, the pants don't breath that well. Otherwise, they are durable as all get out and I'd highly recommend them.

ETA: Check out LA Police Gear for about the best prices around. They run sales or free shipping on 5.11 all the time practically.

I've always been thrilled with my Columbia stuff.

They bought the nuke techs I work with some 511 pants several years ago. The ones from the original purchase are just now wearing out. The ones bought in the last year or so just don't hold up like the other ones.

I think our guards just got new ones. I'll see what they think.

Completely off subject, but you work at NFS don't you?

Same here job shirts fade if not washed in warm or hot water.. Gotta wash in cold and hang to dry

Yeah I've noticed job shirts seem to do that. I currently have a new one that I spent a little extra money on that I haven't had a problem out of. It's not quite as rough material.

My 511 pants have lasted forever. They fade easily though. As someone posted above, wash cold and no dryer sheets.

I now have some Truspec pants. Lighter and just as durable. Don't seem to fade as fast but time will tell.

Firefighter as well and our work shirts are grey so fading isn't as noticeable. Can't help with the pants tho, required to wear a nomex blend.

Their belts are great but if you don't have to go through a metal detector, I suggest either a Blackhawk or last chance belt.

If you are looking for a highly dependable and comfortable pant that will hold up in the most austere conditions I recommend Kuhl. Great pant for all activities plus they look casual enough to be worn daily. They are a bit pricey but well worth the investment.

VN Store

Back