Streaming music services

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I've used Google Play in the past but am trying Spotify because of their family plan pricing.

Amazon Music comes free with Prime, but lasted I checked the music library was very limited.

Which music service do you subscribe to and why?

I'm cheap. I just listen. Pandora.

I started out with Pandora but for the extra money it's with it to me to be able to create my own playlists and have a full music library available. It's also nice to be able to download the songs instead of always using data to stream.

What do you like about it? I'm not familiar with Rhapsody.

Well you can try a free month trial to see for yourself, but it has the largest library of them all. It has just about every single album I could ever think about. I really like how I can either stream or I can download to my phone to listen to anytime and not use data. I think I pay 9.99 a month, but I haven't purchase music in about 5 years because I don't need to with rhapsody

Well you can try a free month trial to see for yourself, but it has the largest library of them all. It has just about every single album I could ever think about. I really like how I can either stream or I can download to my phone to listen to anytime and not use data. I think I pay 9.99 a month, but I haven't purchase music in about 5 years because I don't need to with rhapsody
Gotcha. Sounds very similar to Google/Spotify.

One thing I like about Spotify so far is being able to follow the popular playlists of other users.

I've used Google Play in the past but am trying Spotify because of their family plan pricing.

Amazon Music comes free with Prime, but lasted I checked the music library was very limited.

Which music service do you subscribe to and why?

Rhapsody. You can download almost any song you can think of to your device for like $10 a month.

I started out with Pandora but for the extra money it's with it to me to be able to create my own playlists and have a full music library available. It's also nice to be able to download the songs instead of always using data to stream.

You can jailbreak and do all that. Free

Reactions: 1 person
I did the Spotify free trial two years ago and never left. No complaints except there are a couple of artists that don't have their entire catalogue available. AC/DC only gas a song or two. I think that Led Zeppelin was like that originally, but is now on the sevice. Bob Seger isn't on. But those that are missing might not be on any service.

Last edited:
I started with PlayStation's Music Unlimited but then switched to Spotify and haven't looked back. Spotify IMO is the best of all the streaming music services. Being able to follow other people's playlists, make collaborative playlist with friends, and que music along with a good library of music makes it the best. It also has a great mobile interface

Last edited:
I like Rdio a lot. Generally i use it to preview new albums before purchasing. They're pricing plan isn't bad but since it's not my everyday music option I just create new accounts using 10 minute mail whenever I want to sample some new stuff.

Mainly I use iTunes Match to sync my library and play lists across devices. If I like something I hear on Rdio I buy it from Amazon which syncs to iTunes and then to iTunes Match.

I still use Pandora on occasion but find it gets repetitive.

I heard that with Google you can upload the music that you already own and be able to access it from anywhere... and it doesn't cost anything. Is anybody using Google for this and how do you like it? Is the sound quality as good as if playing it directly off of a CD or files ofsongs purchased online? Do they put a limit on how much music can be put into the system? I suppose that iTunes might do this too, but I don't know if there are limits to how much can be put in those clouds for free.

I heard that with Google you can upload the music that you already own and be able to access it from anywhere... and it doesn't cost anything. Is anybody using Google for this and how do you like it? Is the sound quality as good as if playing it directly off of a CD or files ofsongs purchased online? Do they put a limit on how much music can be put into the system? I suppose that iTunes might do this too, but I don't know if there are limits to how much can be put in those clouds for free.

ITunes Match is $25 for a year. I'm pretty sure it's unlimited if purchased from itunes but but something like 25,000 songs can be uploaded not purchased from them. Except it doesn't really upload your actual files, it uploads your library list. When you stream or download to a new device it actually pulls from Apple's catalog in their AAC file format. In some cases this could be an upgrade to your original copy.

I'm going on my 3rd year using it and love it. Works great for me because I have 2 Macs, 2 iPhone (with wife), an iPad, and Apple TV. My entire catalog is synced across them all.

My only complaint, once while listening to a Beastie Boys album it sent a Match Box 20 song or something that I don't have on my library at all. I searched the problem and someone else said on a forum that they were trying to listen to the MB20 song and got the BB song. I guess those got crossed in their catalog or something. That has only happened to me with that one track though.

Reactions: 1 person
I would go with Beats audio. I think it was $15mo for 5 lines. Unlimited streaming and downloads.

ITunes Match is $25 for a year. I'm pretty sure it's unlimited if purchased from itunes but but something like 25,000 songs can be uploaded not purchased from them. Except it doesn't really upload your actual files, it uploads your library list. When you stream or download to a new device it actually pulls from Apple's catalog in their AAC file format. In some cases this could be an upgrade to your original copy.

I'm going on my 3rd year using it and love it. Works great for me because I have 2 Macs, 2 iPhone (with wife), an iPad, and Apple TV. My entire catalog is synced across them all.

My only complaint, once while listening to a Beastie Boys album it sent a Match Box 20 song or something that I don't have on my library at all. I searched the problem and someone else said on a forum that they were trying to listen to the MB20 song and got the BB song. I guess those got crossed in their catalog or something. That has only happened to me with that one track though.

Thanks. Good info.

I am doing the same thing and have for a couple years. Love it. I found one minor Bob Seger song information glitch the whole time I have used it.

Converted everything except one PC to Apple and have i-Tunes loaded on it. Will convert to Macintosh when it is time. Have a MacBook Pro now that I love.

I had Pandora One for almost a year and recently switched over to spotify premium. Never going back to pandora.

EDIT: I now see you have to put spotify in offline mode to do it. I'm in the bad habit of asking volnation before I google something.

I have a question for any Spotify Premium users:

if I download some songs and play them on my iPhone, will they automatically be played from the phone's storage, or will it still stream them consequently milking my data plan.

Basically I mean do I have to tell the phone to play from storage or does it automatically stop streaming them.

Sorry if this is confusing

Last edited:
EDIT: I now see you have to put spotify in offline mode to do it. I'm in the bad habit of asking volnation before I google something.

I have a question for any Spotify Premium users:

if I download some songs and play them on my iPhone, will they automatically be played from the phone's storage, or will it still stream them consequently milking my data plan.

Basically I mean do I have to tell the phone to play from storage or does it automatically stop streaming them.

Sorry if this is confusing

It plays them from your device storage by default.

Oh, and I use exclusively Spotify Premium since discovering it. Haven't even opened Pandora or iTunes in over a year.

When my data plan has been slowed down, I can still utilize the Spotify streaming. YouTube pretty much fails to play video once my data plan throttle kicks in. However with Spotify, during the data plan slow down, I generally need to put what's currently playing on pause for a minute in order to load up the buffer. But the music will still play at the reduced bandwidth after the initial "pause".

I have Spotify set up so that some playlists will download the songs to my iPad so that I can listen to them off-line. But since the storage on my iPhone is pretty much used up, I'm also configured so that no songs will download to my phone. There must be two layers to set the download settings... one is with the playlist and somehow there is a separate setting on the device.

VN Store

Back