Rocky Top, TN

under-a-rock-o.gif

Reactions: 4 people
There is also a place called "Rocky Top" up above Newport in the mountains...got a bunch of cousins live up there...been there for years but never hear noone talk about it...they been known to get there corn from a jar....not sure if that's the same place mentioned in the song but I alwys thought it was cause I was born n raised around there and it was the only place called rocky top that i ever knew of.

I have to drive through Lake City, um I mean Rocky Top on my way to game. I've always disliked the idea of naming a city Rocky Top. It's almost sacriligous. Rocky Top is representative of the whole area of East Tennessee. It's a mythical mountain, not a city but a representative place that stands for the love for owns own dwelling and pride of the state. No one lives on Rocky Top because no own owns it. Perhaps the Osborne brothers had a specific mountain In mind when they wrote the lyrics but it's moved beyond a literal place now for those who sing it. It belongs to all who call Tennessee home (especial East Tennessee). And those who have deep connections to her. When we sing Rocky Top we do not sing about Lake City (rocky top) because it is an idea not a location. It's the unofficial fight song of UT and serves to inspire those who sing. It only leads to confusion for those on the outside if they were to ask where is Rocky Top? well it sure is hell not Lake City. Surely 1,700 people do not have a monopoly on Rocky Top. I live on Rocky Top even though I physically exist and live in Lexington Ky. Because it is not a singular location, but exists in the hearts and minds of those who sing and who's hearts belong to Tennessee.

Reactions: 15 people
Theys more marijuana raised in them mountains than anywhere....why do u think they called it the smokies???....that's where the smky mountains gets its smoke..from all the potheads in cocke co....lol...p.s....I'm only kiddin...hope I don't offend anyone fron cocke co...it is where I was born n raised so I feel like I got freedom to joke about it some...lol...GO VOLS!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I have to drive through Lake City, um I mean Rocky Top on my way to game. I've always disliked the idea of naming a city Rocky Top. It's almost sacriligous. Rocky Top is representative of the whole area of East Tennessee. It's a mythical mountain, not a city but a representative place that stands for the love for owns own dwelling and pride of the state. No one lives on Rocky Top because no own owns it. Perhaps the Osborne brothers had a specific mountain In mind when they wrote the lyrics but it's moved beyond a literal place now for those who sing it. It belongs to all who call Tennessee home (especial East Tennessee). And those who have deep connections to her. When we sing Rocky Top we do not sing about Lake City (rocky top) because it is an idea not a location. It's the unofficial fight song of UT and serves to inspire those who sing. It only leads to confusion for those on the outside if they were to ask where is Rocky Top? well it sure is hell not Lake City. Surely 1,700 people do not have a monopoly on Rocky Top. I live on Rocky Top even though I physically exist and live in Lexington Ky. Because it is not a singular location, but exists in the hearts and minds of those who sing and who's hearts belong to Tennessee.

Go Vols!! We're # own!!!!!

The Osbourne Brothers didn't write it, they just recorded the most recognized version. The Bryants wrote it in Gatlinburg. They also wrote Love Hurts which was made famous by Nazareth 40 years ago.

Reactions: 9 people
The Osbourne Brothers didn't write it, they just recorded the most recognized version. The Bryants wrote it in Gatlinburg. They also wrote Love Hurts which was made famous by Nazareth 40 years ago.

They also wrote Bye Bye Love.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. Not the musical expert in the least. Still who ever wrote it my point remains. It's moved beyond the physical location of any specific mountain or place and has moved into a metaphysical reality for anyone who identifies with it's adoptive meaning.

Osbourne Brothers version is better but Lynn Andersons version was more popular. Rocky Top is a fictional location. I wish Lake City was also fiction.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. Not the musical expert in the least. Still who ever wrote it my point remains. It's moved beyond the physical location of any specific mountain or place and has moved into a metaphysical reality for anyone who identifies with it's adoptive meaning.

I agree. I wasn't too concerned about the name change, but if that area is best known for meth and pills, I'm against it. Now if it was a moonshine problem, I'd be okay with it. Corn from a jar and Cocke County are like peas in a pod.

Reactions: 1 person

Well said. I live in New York City, and still live on Rocky Top.

This, for me, is the best version. It's a couple of banjos and a honky-tonk piano.

Not sure I attached this correctly.

Attachments

• rocky-top.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

thx for posting that.. i did not know that.. every time that Nazareth song comes on the radio i crank it up.. i like the way the bass and the guitar riff complement each other in that song

Well said. I live in New York City, and still live on Rocky Top.

Agreed, the song may have been originally written for east Tn but once it became the "official\unofficial" fight song, it refers to home. Be it east, west, middle, or any other place. I will also not refer to lake city as Rocky Top because 2 drunks, 4 stoners and business man encouraged it.

Also I know the official fight song is "down the field", for those of you getting out the frying pans.

Thank you sir! I was just about to post that Rocky Top is a real place. If any city has a right to Rocky Top it's Gatlinburg. But, I'm like everybody else, Rocky Top represents the university of Tennessee, not a specific area. I also told cbj when the team visited Gatlinburg that Rocky Top was written at the Gatlinburg Inn. I shouldn't have been surprised that he didn't know, come to find out, a lot of folks don't know that.

VN Store

Back