Best way to learn piano?

VolsByNature

DeletedPost Record Holder
I know practice, but practicing the right way is important. Curious if any piano players recommend anything in particular. My goal is not necessarily learn how to read music but being able to improvise and create melodies. Learn chords,etc.

I have a friend how is a professional-level pianist. I'll ask her tomorrow.

I don't know a damn thing about pianos or the study of music so I would need your question(s) to be as precise as you want it (because I wouldn't have a clue about follow questions or refining your question).

What is your current level of musical understanding (do you understand notes, chord names, scales, etc)? Are you familiar with chord progressions?

The piano is, in my opinion, the best instrument to learn first. It's like the alphabet, notes perfectly arranged in a singular line. It's grouped into repeating octaves, so don't let the size of the keyboard overwhelm you... Just learn how to use those 7 white and 5 black keys.

I would recommend some private lessons to maximize your learning curve, but there are also plenty of self-teaching books, videos, and internet resources. I know a guy that owns a piano store and his wife is an instructor; I'll ask for recommendations on materials once knowing you current abilities.

I have a friend how is a professional-level pianist. I'll ask her tomorrow.

I don't know a damn thing about pianos or the study of music so I would need your question(s) to be as precise as you want it (because I wouldn't have a clue about follow questions or refining your question).

I want to be able to play piano, but have no interest in reading music. Playing by ear and learning chords so I can do music covers and also compose my own melodies is the ultimate goal. Thanks for the help. :hi:

What is your current level of musical understanding (do you understand notes, chord names, scales, etc)? Are you familiar with chord progressions?

The piano is, in my opinion, the best instrument to learn first. It's like the alphabet, notes perfectly arranged in a singular line. It's grouped into repeating octaves, so don't let the size of the keyboard overwhelm you... Just learn how to use those 7 white and 5 black keys.

I would recommend some private lessons to maximize your learning curve, but there are also plenty of self-teaching books, videos, and internet resources. I know a guy that owns a piano store and his wife is an instructor; I'll ask for recommendations on materials once knowing you current abilities.

Very cool, thank you. I'm just now learning about octaves and chord progressions. My experience with piano is decent, I usually learn a quarter of a song then stop because it takes me so long to learn a song. I know it'll take practice, again, but it's like anything else. If I'm not practicing right then I'm just wasting my time.

I want to be able to play piano, but have no interest in reading music. Playing by ear and learning chords so I can do music covers and also compose my own melodies is the ultimate goal. Thanks for the help. :hi:

I copy and pasted what you said. Her response

Her: You can do that. You just need a good teacher who can explain everything well enough so you can do all this without leaning to read music...

Learning to read music really is not that hard. It's the being a good piano player that takes years.

Me: So trying to learn piano enough to play covers without learning to read music is harder than just learning to read music?

Her: I would think so unless you can find a teacher who can explain music theory very well. You just need to learn some basic music and know a little about music theory to play and make music.

I copy and pasted what you said. Her response

Man thanks for taking the time to talk with someone who knows their stuff. I really appreciate the info. I'm buying some books and watching some yt videos on music theory all week. Thanks again

VN Store

Back