Medical Treatment Options (The off-season Friday night completely off topic thread)

rob22278

Your thoughts on an issue that is becoming a topic in sports medicine? Medical Marijuana and Football - Americans for Safe Access

Medical Marijuana and Football

ASA_USA_Today_NFL_Preview_Ad.jpg
Works Even When Opiates Don't

The great utility of medical cannabis is, in part, the remarkable safety of the medicine and lack of serious side effects; the other is the unique breadth of its therapeutic actions. Because it is simultaneously a pain killer, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective agent, a single dose of cannabis can replace a handful of pharmaceuticals.

For muscloskeletal injuries, medical cannabis works as well as codeine and other opiates. It also has a synergistic effect that makes smaller doses of opiates more effective, lessening the chance of side effects and addiction.

Using medical cannabis to lower doses or substitute for opiate painkillers can help reduce the misuse that leaves former players addicted at four-times the rate of non-players. For the difficult-to-treat neuropathic pain that can result from tissue and spinal injuries, low doses of medical cannabis have been shown to work when even handfuls of Vicodin won’t.

In January, HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" reported that an estimated 50-60 percent of NFL players regularly use marijuana, many for pain management.

Who We Are

ASA has been educating the public on the therapeutic effects of marijuana use for chronic pain, neurological and other serious conditions for more than 10 years. Leafly is the world's largest resource for information on cannabis, including medical marijuana news, and ratings and reviews for hundreds of plant strains, products, and licensed distributors across the country.

Reactions: 4 people
Much better than getting them hooked on pain killers. Im all for it.

I think your point carries much weight. Many will come soon and bash the substance (IDC,not a personal user), but will do so without considering that the already legal alternatives often have a larger negative impact than the one we have been taught to fear.

Reactions: 1 person
I think your point carries much weight. Many will come soon and bash the substance (IDC,not a personal user), but will do so without considering that the already legal alternatives often have a larger negative impact than the one we have been taught to fear.

And are the ones who fund groups that advocate for it to stay illegal.

Unfortunately, you can count on pot users to want their narcotics in addition to their pot instead of as an alternative.

Im for it. Many are not though, since often times people dont want to rethink something. They already have an opinion , and often times dont care to listen to other reason

From my medical background, it actually makes sense. Say you have a bad muscle sprain. After RICE and stabilization, you basically need proper nutrition(high protein diet and vit c), and time. However, swelling only increases with spasms or reaction to pain. A little Mary Jane is basically a CNS and PNS depressant and muscle relaxer in one. Less need for pain meds loaded with APAP which is bad on your liver and thus affects the healing process. All natural baby!

Reactions: 2 people
Unfortunately, you can count on pot users to want their narcotics in addition to their pot instead of as an alternative.

Some, yes, but definitely not all and its very ignorant for you to think that. I smoke pot almost daily and absolutely hate narcotics and I know for a fact there are many others like me.

Reactions: 2 people
From my medical background, it actually makes sense. Say you have a bad muscle sprain. After RICE and stabilization, you basically need proper nutrition(high protein diet and vit c), and time. However, swelling only increases with spasms or reaction to pain. A little Mary Jane is basically a CNS and PNS depressant and muscle relaxer in one. Less need for pain meds loaded with APAP which is bad on your liver and thus affects the healing process. All natural baby!

Oh really? Then explain why PO versions of the active ingredients in marijuana are currently available but not be used in this way.

Oh really? Then explain why PO versions of the active ingredients in marijuana are currently available but not be used in this way.

The right person with the right connections who has the ability to persuade the FDA to approve it for that particular diagnosis. Until then, it is considered an "off-label" use. I'm not a big proponent for legalization totally, but I am for medical purposes. I firmly believe that one of my brothers would still be here today if he had this option for extreme PTSD instead of some VA shrink pushing any and every SSRI, Benzo, etc. known to man in his face. I've never heard of anyone taking their own life from marijuana alone. But you better believe I think an array of antidepressants will.

Edit: sorry to get off topic but I feel we are being atleast somewhat constructive during the offseason as opposed to the ones in pure meltdown mode over all the other distractions.

Last edited:
You have no clue what you're talking about. tHc is illegal everywhere weed is illegal. That's why it's illegal

LOL....are you sure about that?

Perhaps it is you that has no clue however that is not uncommon among illicit drug users.

The question of legalized drug use is a polarizing societal question not easily addressed on a site such as this. As you well know we will never agree and we should probably leave it at that.

LOL....are you sure about that?

Perhaps it is you that has no clue however that is not uncommon among illicit drug users.

The question of legalized drug use is a polarizing societal question not easily addressed on a site such as this. As you well know we will never agree and we should probably leave it at that.

If weed were legal, I'd give up drinking for smoking. I know several friends/family who only smoke. To say everybody who smokes pot is a "druggie" is pure speculation and an uniformed opinion. People who can not see it any other way than the way you do is why is continuously demonized by society.

VN Store

Back