Rob Konrad swims 9 miles to shore

Wow. Ocean swimming blows. Night time and 9 miles is probably nuts.

All those years of dolphin practice helped him keep his head above water.

Wow, I would've drowned after about 15 feet.

Who takes a boat that small that far out on the Ocean?

Holy crap. That's insane. 10-12 hours of ocean swimming at night???

I've spent a lot of time around boat captains down there, and the highly paid ones say that anything less than 80 feet isn't really suitable for the ocean. Yea, it can be done, but if you get big swells then a 30 footer can be sunk pretty easily.

I've spent a lot of time around boat captains down there, and the highly paid ones say that anything less than 80 feet isn't really suitable for the ocean. Yea, it can be done, but if you get big swells then a 30 footer can be sunk pretty easily.

People do it all the time. I've went from Miami to Bimini on 30'ish boats a few times. Good weather and sea condition forecast is key.

BTW, I'm not buying his story.

Reactions: 2 people
BTW, I'm not buying his story.

After mulling over this story today, I've decided I don't buy it. 9 miles, in the dark, with no navigational tools... no way.

As to taking out smaller fishing boats, people do it all the time. A 36-footer is actually pretty dang big compared to a lot of the center consoles common in FL. Last summer, I bet we were at least 10 miles out when we went deep sea fishing on a charter near Sarasota, and that boat was nowhere near 36 feet!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back