Trout Fishing

Hayezb

Vols to the Wall
Who else here likes trout fishing?

I'm from Athens so my go to spot has been the Hiwassee, but I've fished on the Holston a couple times and the fishing has been way better there.

Wondering if anybody else knew of some good spots to try out that are within 2 hours of Athens.

:hi:

Who else here likes trout fishing?

I'm from Athens so my go to spot has been the Hiwassee, but I've fished on the Holston a couple times and the fishing has been way better there.

Wondering if anybody else knew of some good spots to try out that are within 2 hours of Athens.

:hi:

I fly fish the Hiwassee from time to time. It's a haul from Chattanooga when you only get about 5 hours before generators make it unwadable though.

Usually have pretty good luck with an Adams parachute or copper john

I'm not far from Athens, habersham county. Its trout heaven around here. Chattahoochee, Sequoia, panther creek, wildcat creek. I have a friend at church who catches monsters in Helen ga in the river.

Fly fishing is my biggest vice. When I'm in east TN, I spend time on the Clinch and in the streams around Robbinsville NC. I need to spend more time at the Hiwassee.

We go to Montana/Wyoming every summer for a couple of weeks of fishing. Love it up there.

I like fishing the Clinch but you're a bit at the mercy of the water release schedule. The Clinch is interesting since you have the chance to catch some really big trout there. Also, depending on what you're in the mood for, you can fish above or below the weir dam which is two very different kinds of fishing.

I trout fish often here in upstate SC. Light tackle - rooster tails, 2lb test. Fish the North, Middle and South Saluda Rivers, Eastatoe River, Chattooga River and the East Fork of the Chattooga. Sometimes I'll take a short drive up to NC.

I trout fish often here in upstate SC. Light tackle - rooster tails, 2lb test. Fish the North, Middle and South Saluda Rivers, Eastatoe River, Chattooga River and the East Fork of the Chattooga. Sometimes I'll take a short drive up to NC.

Same here. Saluda is closest and can be fun when they stock it. Actually had a bud a few years ago pull one out about 3-4 lbs in that stretch across from the little pull off where the waterfall is and the boiled peanut stand always sets up. They had did some work on the stream itself within past year or two and made some "holes" staggered throughout that main stretch. I also go fish up around the Walhalla hatchery and chatooga.

That's the South Saluda (near the peanut stand/waterfall...I think it's Wildcat Falls). I was fishing there once when the stocking truck pulled up. I thought it was someone dumping stuff in the river. They were...fish. Needless to say, I made it rain.

The Walhalla Hatchery is attached to the East Fork of the Chattooga River. Fished there many times. Beautiful stream.

I can be at the North Saluda (Dividing Water Rd) from my house in about 20 minutes. That's a nice little stream. It's small, and it doesn't get as much love as the Middle and South, but it also isn't fished nearly as much (at least, I don't THINK it is).

That's the South Saluda (near the peanut stand/waterfall...I think it's Wildcat Falls). I was fishing there once when the stocking truck pulled up. I thought it was someone dumping stuff in the river. They were...fish. Needless to say, I made it rain.

The Walhalla Hatchery is attached to the East Fork of the Chattooga River. Fished there many times. Beautiful stream.

I can be at the North Saluda (Dividing Water Rd) from my house in about 20 minutes. That's a nice little stream. It's small, and it doesn't get as much love as the Middle and South, but it also isn't fished nearly as much (at least, I don't THINK it is).

I thought all that was middle Saluda. From where you turn at the little post office at the end of 11, go past the store on the left, at that first bridge. Then on up the road a mile or two where you have the long stretch until the highway veers.

Fly fishing is my biggest vice. When I'm in east TN, I spend time on the Clinch and in the streams around Robbinsville NC. I need to spend more time at the Hiwassee.

We go to Montana/Wyoming every summer for a couple of weeks of fishing. Love it up there.

Learning to fly fish is my New Years resolution. I've never been, only tried casting a fly rod maybe a couple times so complete newbie.

Any advice on getting started?

Reactions: 2 people
Learning to fly fish is my New Years resolution. I've never been, only tried casting a fly rod maybe a couple times so complete newbie.

Equipment or technique? As far as general "how to" information Youtube is full of all kinds of instructional vids.

To some extent equipment will vary a bit depending on where you want to fish. My main rod is a really fast 4wt that I use on the Clinch where you can make some really long casts to cover a lot of water. (especially in the weir pool where there's very little current) All told though a 9ft 5wt medium action rod will cover most trout scenarios.

I really like fly fishing and it's my method of choice when conditions allow. (and often the most effective too) I'm more than willing to throw ultra light when I think that's the better option though. I'm a fisherman, not a purist. :)

I thought all that was middle Saluda. From where you turn at the little post office at the end of 11, go past the store on the left, at that first bridge. Then on up the road a mile or two where you have the long stretch until the highway veers.

Turn right at the Cleveland Post Office. The gas station on the left on 11/276 is Echo Valley. That first bridge is the Middle Saluda. Keep going, and the Middle Saluda follows 11/276 on the right maybe a mile to the F-Mart, where it veers right and follows River Falls Rd into the River Falls/Jones Gap area. Keep going past the F-Mart on 11/276 a mile or 2 and the South Saluda appears on the left, up to where 11/276 split, and it follows 276 a little beyond the split.

These areas are all heavily fished as they are easy to access.

Turn right at the Cleveland Post Office. The gas station on the left on 11/276 is Echo Valley. That first bridge is the Middle Saluda. Keep going, and the Middle Saluda follows 11/276 on the right maybe a mile to the F-Mart, where it veers right and follows River Falls Rd into the River Falls/Jones Gap area. Keep going past the F-Mart on 11/276 a mile or 2 and the South Saluda appears on the left, up to where 11/276 split, and it follows 276 a little beyond the split.

These areas are all heavily fished as they are easy to access.

Ok gotcha. So if you turn left going towards keowee there's a river up that way and a pull off known as sliding rock, I'm sure you're familiar with it. What river is that?

I fished the Clinch last week and the park this weekend. Abrams Creek was as close to perfect as you'll find it in the winter

Find a local fly shop. They'll help you get equipped and often have clinics and such. Once you've got your gear and an idea of what to do, hiring a guide and learning a few things from him is beneficial too.

Whereabout do you live?

Find a local fly shop. They'll help you get equipped and often have clinics and such. Once you've got your gear and an idea of what to do, hiring a guide and learning a few things from him is beneficial too.

Whereabout do you live?

Sumner County.

I figure there must be a club or something around here.

I'm not far from Athens, habersham county. Its trout heaven around here. Chattahoochee, Sequoia, panther creek, wildcat creek. I have a friend at church who catches monsters in Helen ga in the river.

I think he was talking about Athens, TN if he mentioned the Hiawassee, although I guess if you drive an hour or so north you could get there also.

Ok gotcha. So if you turn left going towards keowee there's a river up that way and a pull off known as sliding rock, I'm sure you're familiar with it. What river is that?

I believe you are referring to Long Shoals, which is the Little Eastatoe Creek (which they do stock). If that's the case, near there is Roy F Jones Rd (on the right side of 11). That road leads to good access of the Eastatoe River. I'd recommend it if you've never been there. It seems wider than the Saludas, but not as wide as the Chattooga.

Sumner County.

What I did was watch YouTube and read books on how tos, then just practiced.

Equipment wise, go ahead and spend some
Money to get enjoyable equipment. Cabela's RLS is a great rod and reel combo at an affordable price for what you get. Works as well as something that costs 3 times as much.

Flies: get a caddis or mayfly life cycle kit from basspro or Cabela's, or if you know what flies you want, go to sportsmans warehouse. Best price on flies anywhere.

I believe you are referring to Long Shoals, which is the Little Eastatoe Creek (which they do stock). If that's the case, near there is Roy F Jones Rd (on the right side of 11). That road leads to good access of the Eastatoe River. I'd recommend it if you've never been there. It seems wider than the Saludas, but not as wide as the Chattooga.

I've seen the pull off opposite side of the road from the big parking area for sliding rock. I had wondered about it.

Don't hold me to this. I just googled "Sliding Rock SC Hwy 11" and now I don't think it's Long Shoals. I'm only familiar with 2 sliding rocks (or what I call "Sliding Rock")...the popular one up in NC and one above Falls Creek Falls near Jones Gap.

I'm gonna have to find this one.

I think he was talking about Athens, TN if he mentioned the Hiawassee, although I guess if you drive an hour or so north you could get there also.

Yea that hit me later! But yea its north of me.

Sumner County.

I don't know if anything in summer county, but Fly South in Nashville is a great shop where they'd be happy to get you set up. They used to do classes and stuff too

VN Store

Back