Stand-Up Comedy

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Anyone have a recommendation for a good stand up special from the past year or so? Tried Bill Burr last night... stopped it 10 minutes in. Watched Lewis Black... meh, not as funny as his earlier stuff. Any Netflix/amazon/HBO/Showtime rec's are appreciated.

There's a new Nick Offerman one on Netflix, i started it but fell asleep. Because I was tired, not because it was bad.

Reactions: 1 person
I love Bill Burr so take this with a grain of salt

Louis CK
Dave Attell
Jim Jeffries
Ricky Gervais

I liked his last one a lot, but the new one just kind of started bleh. He started really ragging on religion, and I got turned off. CK is usually very funny, but I think I've seen all that were available. The wife and I enjoy watching some good comedy, but I guess our tastes have changed a bit, and some of it seems like they are just trying to be offensive to the point that it isn't really funny.

I think Gaffigan is the most I've laughed in a while. I would really like to read his book, too.

Brian Regan

Do yourself a favor and watch his "Epitome of Hyperbole" bit. Makes me laugh until I cry.

For some old school stuff I like anything Bill Hicks.

Brian Regan

Do yourself a favor and watch his "Epitome of Hyperbole" bit. Makes me laugh until I cry.

Brian Regan is probably my favorite comedian. His emergency room bit brings tears to my eyes

If you want to see a good old fashioned stand up guy, watch Marc Maron's new Netflix special. If you want something quick and witty, try Bo Burnham. It's a bit immature, but his whole stage show is a neat change sometimes.
Also, Daniel Tosh is pretty outstanding.

Brian Regan

Where can I find this? Not on Netflix or Direct.

There's a knoxville native that is funny too. I can't remember his name, but he's a young Asian guy. I'll see if I can find his name.

Ralphie May is funny. He's from Tennessee also. (Tennessee and Arkansas)

Louis C.K. has already been mentioned, but it deserves repeating since he will go down as one of the greats just on the fact he has a new special every year. Of the current crop, Anthony Jeselnick and Amy Shumer are excellent (though they are certainly PG-13 at the least. I also probably misspelled his name but I don't care to google it on my phone at the moment.)

Mitch Hedberg would be a 90's staple that I'd recommend if he's never been seen before.

However, in this day and age, you're going to find it nigh impossible to find a good stand up who doesn't make fun of something that you value, religion, race, sexual orientation, politics, etc. Best to just watch and realize, it's comedy and nothing more, and more than likely the ones making fun are more tolerant than any of us ever will be.

There's a knoxville native that is funny too. I can't remember his name, but he's a young Asian guy. I'll see if I can find his name.

Ralphie May is funny. He's from Tennessee also. (Tennessee and Arkansas)

you talking about Henry Cho?

VN Store

Back