3D Printers

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
These are literally going to change the world. It's as important as the invention of the moveable type printing press, IMO. The potential for improving our lives and transforming the 3rd world is endless. I thought it'd be cool to have a thread about the amazing stuff you see people doing with 3D printers.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2Rdeo8vuE[/youtube]

and to kick things off...I'm a dog-lover. Try not getting misty-eyed watching this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRmoowIN8aY[/youtube]

$5,000 to print a home. It's new technology, so you can pretty safely assume the cost will go down.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyd7_nZ3fAY[/youtube]

Businesses will be able to print their own parts instead of ordering them. This is a game changer

I'm trying to get my company to buy one. We sell plumbing supply. It would be so awesome to make custom fittings with a 3d printer. I do marketing, so I could do a lot with that.

They are awesome.

I haven't come up with a practical use to personally buy one yet but I know I want one.

Maybe as my kids get a little older it will be fun to get the them involved to make toys and such.

I know that they are big improvements for joint replacements where the replacement can be custom made for the individual person's bones.

The whole food thing is interesting - we are on the way to "replicators".

They just "emailed" a wrench to the space station (designed it on earth and sent the file to the printer there).

Reactions: 1 person
That's incredible. I would totally live in one of those printed houses.

I'm trying to get my company to buy one. We sell plumbing supply. It would be so awesome to make custom fittings with a 3d printer. I do marketing, so I could do a lot with that.

The certifications and approvals required for things like plumbing parts make it highly unlikely because of costs imo. And it's probably not going to make much sense cost-wise for the ones you could print.

I've always had a dream of starting my own distillery.

I'm guessing I could use a 3d printer to make my own plastic 750ml bottles correct?

I've always had a dream of starting my own distillery.

I'm guessing I could use a 3d printer to make my own plastic 750ml bottles correct?

Would cost you a lot more than buying plastic bottles.

Not much point unless every batch/bottle was custom

The certifications and approvals required for things like plumbing parts make it highly unlikely because of costs imo. And it's probably not going to make much sense cost-wise for the ones you could print.

good call

ok, here's a dilemma. Will that effect the price and rarity of old autos? one of the factors in the value of an old car is the scarcity of parts. With a 3D printer, all parts to any car will be available. Hum..

ok, here's a dilemma. Will that effect the price and rarity of old autos? one of the factors in the value of an old car is the scarcity of parts. With a 3D printer, all parts to any car will be available. Hum..

My guess is original production parts vs custom printed parts will play a role in the pricing.

VN Store

Back