Question for those with close ties to UT

NEO

Eat at Joe's
I have a friend who wants to get his law degree but does not want to spend 4 years in college.

He owns a few businesses and all are highly successful and he doesn't want to spend 4 years in college working on a degree. Basically, he wants to jump straight to Law school.

He was wondering if UT has every handed out Honorary Degrees to donors ect and is this degree considered an actual degree.

Lastly, if they have done this does anyone know the donation that would need to be made... such as 500K etc.

Thanks.

I have a friend who wants to get his law degree but does not want to spend 4 years in college.

He owns a few businesses and all are highly successful and he doesn't want to spend 4 years in college working on a degree. Basically, he wants to jump straight to Law school.

He was wondering if UT has every handed out Honorary Degrees to donors ect and is this degree considered an actual degree.

Lastly, if they have done this does anyone know the donation that would need to be made... such as 500K etc.

Thanks.

I think you have to keep in mind admittance to Law School is akin to admittance to a Medical School. The potential student applies then their past is scrutinized ie school, gpa, etc.... as well as their LSAT score. Even if your friend got an honorary degree it wouldn't hold up. I think if he wants that DJ he'll have to get an undergrad first.

I think you have to keep in mind admittance to Law School is akin to admittance to a Medical School. The potential student applies then their past is scrutinized ie school, gpa, etc.... as well as their LSAT score. Even if your friend got an honorary degree it wouldn't hold up. I think if he wants that DJ he'll have to get an undergrad first.

Not trying to be a jerk but the friend has a friend at a law school in Nashville. he will be admitted and they will accept it. Just needed to know if it was possible. Friend's resume also blows away any 22 year old graduates--but that is besides the point.

I know for a fact OSU hands them out. Was curious about UT.

I am only looking for an answer to my question.

Thanks.

BTW, friend at the law school was the one who came up with the idea.

Not trying to be a jerk but the friend has a friend at a law school in Nashville. he will be admitted and they will accept it. Just needed to know if it was possible. Friend's resume also blows away any 22 year old graduates--but that is besides the point.

Thanks.

LOL. Friend of Friend can't have that kind of pull.

Not possible, no matter what your friend says or your friend of a friend.

To be clear, getting an honorary degree from Tennessee is possible, but it's an honorary doctorate. It would never be acceptable as use to get into law school.

Reactions: 1 person
also, as proven here, money/donations are not what typically gets you an honorary degree:

Honorary Degrees | Office of the Chancellor

Maybe if he wins the Nobel Prize he can pull it off. Although I still think getting his "friend" to get him an honorary law school degree is the easiest way to pull off this bit of shenanigans.

Sounds like your friend is out of luck. This isn't the 1760's when a all you needed to do was read a couple of books and put a sign outside your door that said lawyer. You actually have to go to college.

Lawyers are dicks whether their degrees are honorary or not.

tell your friend to get a CDL and he'll get more respect

Neo, why does your friend want to get a law degree but is not willing to put in the work?

Thanks.

I know you're not being a jerk. You have more info on this that can be put here.

I understand money can buy a lot of stuff but even with an 'in' on law school I cant see how a lack of a college transcript as well its GPA or a LSAT score can be hidden. That's a slippery slope for both your friend and the law school since if that ever got out it could damage their reputation. I just cant see it happening.

Thanks.
Like they say in NFL Countdown

c'mon man

Originally Posted by MG1968:
Lawyers are dicks whether their degrees are honorary or not.

tell your friend to get a CDL and he'll get more respect

Interesting

Just for the record SDV, I have never considered you "a dick" even though you don't have to pay a crack addict snaggletooth lot lizard a few bucks to join you in the sleeper of a Freightliner Condo for 2 minutes. :)

just for the record sdv, i have never considered you "a dick" even though you don't have to pay a crack addict snaggletooth lot lizard a few bucks to join you in the sleeper of a freightliner condo for 2 minutes. :)

lol

Just for the record SDV, I have never considered you "a dick" even though you don't have to pay a crack addict snaggletooth lot lizard a few bucks to join you in the sleeper of a Freightliner Condo for 2 minutes. :)

how about law gator

how about law gator

I don't agree with many of LG's post but I do respect him. He stands up for his beliefs in a forum that only a few share the same views. He takes more BS than anyone that post on this forum. LG is like a Timex watch, he takes a licking and keeps on ticking

VN Store

Back