Tennessee Vacation

volfanCLT

Well-Hung Member
Hey guys just got into town late last night (Pigeon Forge) and staying at a cabin up here. It's been a few years since I've gotten up here and wondering what you all would suggest we do this week.

We aren't really into the whole amusement park typical tourist trap activities. Looking more for some shopping, nature stuff, dinner things to do while we're up here.

Any suggestions on hiking/cave/scenic views around this area? We were told Cade's Cove is great

What about restaurants? Some of yalls favorites in the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Knox area would be much appreciated. Think we'll head to the Apple Barn sometime today

Thanks again guys and gals :)

Chimney Tops and Ramsey Cascades are nice hikes but they're longer and can be tough if you're not used to hiking.

Definitely go to the Farmhouse at the Apple Barn. I prefer breakfast there but lunch and dinner is good too. Bullfish is good too for dinner.

Aquarium isn't bad and probably have some good deals at Tanger outlets.

You can also drive up to Cligmans Dome. That's worth doing once.

Smokey Mountain Brewery is pretty good if you like beer.

Chimney Tops and Ramsey Cascades are nice hikes but they're longer and can be tough if you're not used to hiking.

Definitely go to the Farmhouse at the Apple Barn. I prefer breakfast there but lunch and dinner is good too. Bullfish is good too for dinner.

Aquarium isn't bad and probably have some good deals at Tanger outlets.

Apple Barn is good, so is The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge, then they have little candy and fudge shops and an old country store and some other little shops there too.

Last edited:
Tuckaleechee Caverns is nearby in Townsend. Take Wears Valley road out of Pigeon Forge and come see the calm side of the Smokies!

Tuckaleechee Caverns - Home

From there you can continue into the park proper. If you go to the right you will hit Cades Cove. Tremont is along the way (very early along the way) and if you just want to see some beautiful water, drive along the gravel road for a while (or better yet get out and walk).

After Cades Cove, instead of going back through Townsend at the "Y", you can just continue on towards Gatlingburg. Beautiful views along the way, plus you pass Elkmont also. There are all kinds of short (or not so short) trails along the way, from paved paths (Laurel Falls) to tricky singletrack.

This is a link to Laurel Falls, a paved trail: Laurel Falls - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Have fun, and don't believe for a second that we live on pancakes as Pigeon Forge would lead you to believe. Find somewhere you can hit some biscuits and gravy instead.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey guys just got into town late last night (Pigeon Forge) and staying at a cabin up here. It's been a few years since I've gotten up here and wondering what you all would suggest we do this week.

We aren't really into the whole amusement park typical tourist trap activities. Looking more for some shopping, nature stuff, dinner things to do while we're up here.

Any suggestions on hiking/cave/scenic views around this area? We were told Cade's Cove is great

What about restaurants? Some of yalls favorites in the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Knox area would be much appreciated. Think we'll head to the Apple Barn sometime today

Thanks again guys and gals :)

Definitely Cades Cove. Would also would take a drive up Roaring Fork Trail

Hey, this might work and help some. Not sure as I have never used this mapping service, but this shows the location of some of the places I mentioned above. I have no idea what you want to hike, but there are literally hundreds of miles of trails here. I picked Laurel Falls on the map because it is easy and pretty enough for almost everyone.

I would pull into Tremont, drive until you hit the gravel road and then just get out and walk a little. The river here is gorgeous and serene. You might see a fly fisherman, wild turkeys, or maybe a bear for that matter.

Cades Cove is almost ensured critter sighting fun. Bears are thick this year and deer always abound.

View map | Mapcustomizer.com

Reactions: 1 person
Best Italian, Peddler-steakhouse(sit by the window), The Alamo-steakhouse, The Old Mill, Cherokee Grill, Smoky Mountain Brewery.

Thanks for all the advice y'all. Seriously.

Apple Barn was great this afternoon, plus we will definitely head to The Alamo and Peddler Steakhouse, those look awesome. The Old Mill one evening as well.

Smokey Mountain Brewery will also be visited in the next few days :)

We're gonna take a day and visit Cade's Cove, Roaring Fork, and many of the other places listed to check out the scenery and hopefully see some critters. Thursday looks like it should clear up a little.

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be welcome! I can always count on VN

Thanks for all the advice y'all. Seriously.

Apple Barn was great this afternoon, plus we will definitely head to The Alamo and Peddler Steakhouse, those look awesome. The Old Mill one evening as well.

Smokey Mountain Brewery will also be visited in the next few days :)

We're gonna take a day and visit Cade's Cove, Roaring Fork, and many of the other places listed to check out the scenery and hopefully see some critters. Thursday looks like it should clear up a little.

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be welcome! I can always count on VN

Go eat breakfast at the Pancake Pantry one morning.

One more place to eat if you love BBQ and are here until Friday. This place is unreal. The menu changes daily but you can plan on ribs, pulled pork, etc being there. Sides are $1 each and amazing and the walls are loaded with VOL memorabilia (even a Dooley pic but don't fault them for that).

Bread of Heaven BBQ: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bread-of-Heaven-Catering/236203159460

For something casual and cheap, Campfire Grill has killer burgers and hot dogs. It is on the way to Cades Cove in Townsend. Sometimes you have to wait but it is worth it. Only open Friday - Monday in the winter.

Campfire Grill: https://www.facebook.com/campfiregrilltownsend

Go to bearcat's house to see a vintage hillbilly meth lab in operation. They give out samples in the gift shop.

Reactions: 2 people
The Peddler for dinner. The Fox and Parrot for drinks. Alum Caves for a good half day hike. Easier hike but longer- Abrams Falls. Or my personal fav- the abandoned area of Wonderland Resort.

Went to Cades Cove this past Saturday. Gloomy and cool. Saw tons of turkeys and deer. Weather kept the crowds down. Always a nice time.

Had a burger at JT Hannah's Kitchen on the main drag in Pigeon Forge. Pretty good.

Of course, Apple Barn is always a must.

Went to Cades Cove this past Saturday. Gloomy and cool. Saw tons of turkeys and deer. Weather kept the crowds down. Always a nice time.

Had a burger at JT Hannah's Kitchen on the main drag in Pigeon Forge. Pretty good.

Of course, Apple Barn is always a must.

Doing Cade's Cove tomorrow. Looking like it will be nice weather

VN Store

Back