Anyone know anything about hot water heaters

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I need to get one replaced ASAP.

I would do a tank less water heater. Never runs out of hot water. They are a little more pricey but it will save on electricity.
My plumber suggested this but I've seen some positive and negative reviews online.

Is it the actual heater or the element(s)?

It appears to be the gas control valve. But the unit is old and I'm not going to sink money into fixing it at this point.

My plumber suggested this but I've seen some positive and negative reviews online.

It appears to be the gas control valve. But the unit is old and I'm not going to sink money into fixing it at this point.

Ahhh. Gotcha

I would do a tank less water heater. Never runs out of hot water. They are a little more pricey but it will save on electricity.

One of the things I miss most about my house in VA. They are expensive on the front end but you will save on gas. Not sure you'll even fully recoup the costs but still worth the investment. One important part to discuss though is venting of you're doing an internal unit

If you're going to do a tank one again get a few quotes from reputable plumbers. Some can really screw you on such a simple job

its a thing that makes cold water hot.

I prefer gas anything over electric appliances but that is another discussion.

I go tank WH over instant every time. The main reason is use. I have 4 kids and a wife and they constantly use hot water ( dishwasher, washer, drinks). This would keep the hot water heater almost constantly running. I don't like things constantly running.
Plus...... I added a circulating pump to my WH to keep it instant at every dispensing point.

Reactions: 1 person
I prefer gas anything over electric appliances but that is another discussion.

I go tank WH over instant every time. The main reason is use. I have 4 kids and a wife and they constantly use hot water ( dishwasher, washer, drinks). This would keep the hot water heater almost constantly running. I don't like things constantly running.
Plus...... I added a circulating pump to my WH to keep it instant at every dispensing point.

FYI your tank WH is running all the time. Take a vacation? Still running

I would talk with a plumber you trust and ask his opinion on which one he would recommend. I have an old fashioned water heater and when it goes it will be replaced. It will add room in my utility closet and provide instant hot water. Plus, you are making bank here at volnation, right? Gotta spend it sometime. :)

Of course, I live with a wife and 2 daughters and there is never enough hot water left for me after they are done. It will be well worth the investment IMO.

FYI your tank WH is running all the time. Take a vacation? Still running

It doesn't run wide open all the time.

Freak,
Get a larger unit and install it yourself. Get a couple buddies to come over, have a beer or three, and do the install. It's easy.

I've gotten a couple of quotes and the the tankless is about $1000 more than the traditional tank heater. Still trying to decide.

Freak,
Get a larger unit and install it yourself. Get a couple buddies to come over, have a beer or three, and do the install. It's easy.

Neither does a tankless heater. A tank style is truly a hot water heater

Freak,
Unless you or your buddies have experience with gas supply connections and venting the exhaust, I'd hire this one out. I put in my own electric hot water heater in this house but I called the pros for the gas hot water heater replacement in my previous house.

Unless you or your buddies have experience with gas supply connections and venting the exhaust, I'd hire this one out. I put in my own electric hot water heater in this house but I called the pros for the gas hot water heater replacement in my previous house.

Yeah, I don't have the time or patience to attempt an install myself. Whichever route I choose, a professional will be installing it.

I've gotten a few quotes. These things are much more expensive than I remember the last time I priced them.

Yeah, I don't have the time or patience to attempt an install myself. Whichever route I choose, a professional will be installing it.

I've gotten a few quotes. These things are much more expensive than I remember the last time I priced them.

You going to put Volnation.com on the Dow and let us buy shares??

It's not rocket science. If I can do it, any body can.

Have you checked with any of the big stores?
Lowes or Home Depot?
Sometimes you can get discount installs through them.

VN Store

Back