Budget Tablet Advice

VolnTitan

So my wife recently had both knees replaced so she has been using my daughter's first gen Ipad to read some books on, so I thought I would get her a budget tablet for christmas. I am an apple guy, but want to keep in the $150 range for a 7-8" tablet which excludes apple. She would use it for reading, web surfing, watching youtube type vids, email, facebook, etc. She might get into watching movies on there, but kind of doubt it.

So I know nothing about the android/windows tablet world. I would like it to have expandable memory (sd) so she could keep pics on there and videos.

Any of you techie's, lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I use my nexus 7 for pretty much exactly what you listed. It doesn't have expandable storage but with all the other solutions out there I've never run into a need

Looks like the 32gb 2012 version is under $150 now

My wife isn't tech savvy, so I'm concerned her having to depend on "cloud storage". That's why I thought a sd card slot would be a good option.

Once it's set up it really doesn't require maintenance. My pictures are usually taken with my phone and automatically backed up. I can then view them anytime on my tablet. 32gb is quite a bit of storage too. Can always hook up a USB cable and just drop the photos onto another computer if space becomes an issue

I hate trying to keep track of the micro SD cards anyway. Never can find my adapter. I do have one in my phone though (previous statement is just me griping like am old man though so ymmv)

I use my nexus 7 for pretty much exactly what you listed. It doesn't have expandable storage but with all the other solutions out there I've never run into a need

Looks like the 32gb 2012 version is under $150 now

The Nexus 7 and the Kindle tablets come to mind for me. I had a Nexus 7 that I used for a long time and I enjoyed the stock Android experience on it. My daughter loves the Kindle Fire HDX. I don't really care for its simplistic interface, but she was fine with it.

I'm not sure any tablets have expandable storage, do they? Maybe I just haven't noticed.

Best bet it probably a Kindle or Nexus 7. I would avoid the 2012 Nexus 7s because the actual memory used in them is garbage. Makes them fairly unusable after a period of time.

The 2013 Nexus 7s are great.

Kindles are cheap. Even cheaper right now if you have an Amazon credit card. They make it easy to use and there is a HELP button that connects them to an operator if they need help.

Don't buy any of the $30-$80 budget door buster pieces of crap all over store shelves right now. Garbage.

Best bet it probably a Kindle or Nexus 7. I would avoid the 2012 Nexus 7s because the actual memory used in them is garbage. Makes them fairly unusable after a period of time.

Kindles are cheap. Even cheaper right now if you have an Amazon credit card. They make it easy to use and there is a HELP button that connects them to an operator if they need help.

Don't buy any of the $30-$80 budget door buster pieces of crap all over store shelves right now. Garbage.

Maybe it's hit or miss but my 2012 is still running with no issues.

I had a 7" Galaxy Tab 2.0, I sold it because there's something about the Android OS that I don't like but can't quite put my finger on.

And, unless you use a software break, it doesn't matter how much you try to expand the storage, the android OS will install any software to the internal storage and not an SD card.

My 6 year-old niece has a nexus 7 and uses it like a pro. Sounds like a petty easy device to manage.

Thanks...I was looking at the Asus Memo, but will look at that Asus Nexus for sure. Is there a big difference, besides the obvious extra inch, btwn a 7" and 8"? With us both being in our 50's, the whole eyesite thing ain't what it used to be ;)

The Nexus 7 and the Kindle tablets come to mind for me. I had a Nexus 7 that I used for a long time and I enjoyed the stock Android experience on it. My daughter loves the Kindle Fire HDX. I don't really care for its simplistic interface, but she was fine with it.

I'm not sure any tablets have expandable storage, do they? Maybe I just haven't noticed.

My Samsung 10.2 has it.

Agree I bought 3 nextbooks 8" tablets at Walmart for my grandchildren, $99 each, all three were garbage.

Have to buy a dishwasher and going to best buy due to 18 months no interest...maybe I'll just piggyback a tablet they have there to the order...

Welcome to the club. Had to buy a dishwasher today myself.

If you need it installed, Home Depot and Lowes both have free basic install and haul away right now (as in, they make it appear that ends tomorrow for now). Looks like Best Buys free install doesn't start until you hit $499 washers, I think.

Just trying to help.

VN Store

Back