Paying it Forward - what's your cut off?

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
So I went through a Pals drive thru today for a tea ($1.08) and the person in front paid for it. I asked how much the next persons was and essentially ended up paying $8 for my tea.

Anyway, this was my first encounter with pay it forward and I got to thinking at what point do I refuse to pay for the next person.

I guess my cut off is around $10 depending on how much my original order was.

I can't stand those and in your situation, you got screwed. I wouldn't have paid it

So I went through a Pals drive thru today for a tea ($1.08) and the person in front paid for it. I asked how much the next persons was and essentially ended up paying $8 for my tea.

Anyway, this was my first encounter with pay it forward and I got to thinking at what point do I refuse to pay for the next person.

Everyone is different, really depends on your income. 10 dollars isn't really anything to most people but for some it is. Comes down to it really being the thought that counts. If someone ahead of me picks up my 1.08 drive thru tab, it means just about as much to me as if it were 20.00.

Everyone is different, really depends on your income. 10 dollars isn't really anything to most people but for some it is. Comes down to it really being the thought that counts. If someone ahead of me picks up my 1.08 drive thru tab, it means just about as much to me as if it were 20.00.

Here have a dollar
In fact now brotherman, here have two
Two dollars means a snack for me
But it means a big deal to you

Reactions: 2 people

I have not experienced this phenomenon. You have now instilled a fear of drive-thrus in me.

Reactions: 3 people
I have absolutely no issue with buying somebody a meal if they can't afford it. With that said… I'd rather not play musical chairs with drive-through tabs.

Being the Dalai Lama is not easy. I could not break the chain of good karma.

Why not pay $1.08 or something off the next order? That seems reasonable.

This is what I was thinking but also pay it forward doesn't mean you have to pay it forward at the same time someone else paid it forward. It's merely a suggestion to pay it forward sometime soon.

This is what I was thinking but also pay it forward doesn't mean you have to pay it forward at the same time someone else paid it forward. It's merely a suggestion to pay it forward sometime soon.

Good idea. I'll set up a paypal account and you can pay it forward to me. I'll pay it forward at some point in the future. Most likely next time my bills are due.

This is true. But I know I probably wouldn't have ever done it on my own.

This is true. But I know I probably wouldn't have ever done it on my own.

That's kind of bypassing the whole point of paying it forward. Paying it forward is something you do on your own for someone else because you want to. It doesn't have to be monetary either, it can also be a good deed.

It happened to me a month ago at Starbucks. The person in front paid my wife's Pumpkin Spice Latte, which was about $5.

I offered to pay the person behind but the cashier said it was a massive order that was over $50. I said "Ok, see ya!"

In hindsight I wish I had just given $5, but the $50 thing kind of shocked me.

And yet another reason to hate drive throughs. Bad enough that half my family doesn't even look up until I ask them three times and the others just ask for things not on that particular menu, but now I have to deal with this silliness? I guarantee no one is picking up our tab as we generally ruin a $50 dollar bill. Get your shoes on kids, we are going inside (and why did you take them off for a5 minute drive anyway!?)

It happened to me a month ago at Starbucks. The person in front paid my wife's Pumpkin Spice Latte, which was about $5.

I offered to pay the person behind but the cashier said it was a massive order that was over $50. I said "Ok, see ya!"

Case in point.

That's not "paying it forward", that's "hitting on your wife."

You should post pics of her.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back