Any Big 4 Accountants out there?

Face

VolNation Con Man
Any Big 4 Accountants out there? Curious to see if any of my own, nerdy type exist in the Volnation webosphere.

I Am. Where are you at?

Chattanooga. Only one in town. I'll refrain from expressly stating the name, as all posts are of my own opinions and have no direct or indirect reflection on my employer :)

Uncle Ernie treats me well though..:thumbsup:

Chattanooga. Only one in town. I'll refrain from expressly stating the name, as all posts are of my own opinions and have no direct or indirect reflection on my employer :)

Uncle Ernie treats me well though..:thumbsup:

Haha, I didn't realize Ernie had an office in Chatt!

Graduate with my bachelors in April. Plan on continuing into a masters before sitting for CPA exam. Pondered doing a review course prior as well.

I'm not big 4, or public for that matter. I'm a Finance Director so I do get to deal with your ilk 5-6 times a year for audit (financial and retirement plans), 990's, 5227's and 5500's. Bastages!

Actually, though, we are really happy with our group. It's DHG out of Atlanta. We used to be with E&Y out of Atlanta and they got lazy, sloppy and, at times stupid! So we switched. We've been with DHG for about 3 years now and they have been great.

I sell x-ray machines. Hey, since you're all here, what is the likelihood that the Section 179 deduction level gets a bump for 2014 when congress comes back together?

The hours do get better the higher up you get....plus the 5-6 weeks of PTO helps

Agreed. I mean, I'm 22, get 15 paid vacation days, 3 personal days (paid days off when I just need to take a day) and 10-12 paid days for holidays. Add in the flexibility to make up hours other days of the week if I have something I want to do (charity golf tournament, leave early on Friday, etc) it's a pretty good gig.

Graduate with my bachelors in April. Plan on continuing into a masters before sitting for CPA exam. Pondered doing a review course prior as well.

I'd hold off on paying for your own review course if you can. Most firms pay for you to get Becker. But, pass it before you start working if you can.

Nice. How long? I just started in January. Learned so much it's insane.

I would like to make sure you learn to read the prior years workpapers rather than asking the same old same old year in and year out.

My forever complaint about public accounting. But I'm sure, since you have had the benefit of GLOCKER (not Haslam), that you are much better at things than the others.

I would like to make sure you learn to read the prior years workpapers rather than asking the same old same old year in and year out.

My forever complaint about public accounting. But I'm sure, since you have had the benefit of GLOCKER (not Haslam), that you are much better at things than the others.

Not sure what you mean by the last phrase, but I understand your point on "reading prior year's workpapers." There are very valid reasons we ask similar questions every year. Although it was not the intent of this thread, if you would like it, I could give you all kinds of examples and details that might make you want to leave the thread forever :)

I went to a different school with the grandson of Glocker. I still have a kid at UT and when he refers to Haslam and I always say it is Glocker dammit.

A knowledgeable auditor is always refreshing......but they always bolt public accounting too soon.

I, for one, would find it amazing if you learned to read the work papers from the prior year.

Truth! Before we switched from E&Y, they would send their PBC lists, etc. And, at some point, they would show up in my office with the balance sheet flux questions. On more than one occasion, from different members of the audit team, I was told that they needed an explanation for the current year change in accumulated depreciation. I had to remove my face from my palm so I could laugh at them!

Reactions: 1 person
My sister is a controller for GE in Houston (soon to be moving to London). She did her time at Ernst & Young for about 7 years as an auditor.

VN Store

Back