Fitness Thread

I'm 22. 6'2 200. Had been working out for a professional golf career but decided that wasn't best for me in my current situation. So now I have a job and am looking to eventually get cut. Any tips on a workout routine and diet?

Is it true that if you don't use it, you lose it?

As a former athlete, I still try and stay in shape for the most part, the main thing I 've learned about losing weight/cutting is that Diet truly is everything. If you're looking to lose weight, you need to completly cut out sugar out of your diet. Regarding Carbs, there are good carbs and bad carbs, but carbs for the most part need to be held in check. You need to limit your amount of carbs and counter that with protein. The best diet I've found for cutting and losing weight is High Fat, High Protein diet.

Work out Routine I break mine into a routine and time is of the essence. Mine takes 45 mins - 1 hour

Monday Chest Day.

3 sets of each, 15 -20 reps:

•25 Pushups
•Bench Press
•Incline Chest Press
•Machine or Cable Flys

Tuesday Back Day

3 sets of each, 15-20 reps:

25 pull-ups
Seated rows – 75, 80, 85
Lat pulldowns – 135, 150, 165
T-bar rows – 80, 95, 110

Wendesday Shoulders
3 sets of each, 15-20 reps

Arnold press – 55
Laterals – 30
Front raises – 25

Thursday – Biceps & Triceps

3 sets - 15 reps - nautilus curl machine
3 sets - 15 reps – e-z curls cable
3 sets - 15 reps - hammer curls
3 sets - 15 reps - push downs

Friday Cardio
45 mins

Sat & Sun rest day.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm 22. 6'2 200. Had been working out for a professional golf career but decided that wasn't best for me in my current situation. So now I have a job and am looking to eventually get cut. Any tips on a workout routine and diet?

You trying to stay the same weight?

Always been interested in that, just can't get over the sticker shock

When my boys were at home, they held me accountable to workout in the morning. They just didn't know it. :p I figured it up cost wise and it was cheaper to do Crossfit then make them move them back home and pay the grocery bill.

You'll be in shape from it. Not just aesthetic shape either.

My goal is just to be as fit as I can. Shoulder surgery two years ago put a halt to working out and I haven't been able to get back into since then.

This morning I did 36 girl push-ups, 48 Russian swings w/ 26lb kettlebell, and 60 sumo deadlifts with high pulls, also w/ 26lb kettlebell. In 7 minutes.

My goal is just to be as fit as I can. Shoulder surgery two years ago put a halt to working out and I haven't been able to get back into since then.

This morning I did 36 girl push-ups, 48 Russian swings w/ 26lb kettlebell, and 60 sumo deadlifts with high pulls, also w/ 26lb kettlebell. In 7 minutes.

Keep it up! With that workout, you'll be toned in no time.

That's great!!!! Remember to watch that shoulder, don't want to overload it. :)

Saw it don't remember it, re-post it my man.

I'm 21 years old 5'10"ish and weigh 160 pounds. I have been working out on and off for the past 5-6 years, do I know my way around a gym/lingo pretty well. Over the past two months I haven't been able to get in the gym though because of work and preparing for the Bourbon Chase. As you would guess, I have lost a lot of muscle mass and tone. I'm wanting to do something other that my usual routine so I have started Starr's 5x5 workout. Do you like that workout? Are there any things you think I should do as supplemental workouts? Any dietary changes I should make?

Of course I'm wanting to add strength, but my main goals are a nice physique.

That's great!!!! Remember to watch that shoulder, don't want to overload it. :)

It's been the hardest thing to get past. My partial tear was because of a bone spur. I try to remember it was a fluke thing and nothing I did wrong to get hurt (but it happened on a push-up). Every time I go to the box I feel more confident.

I'm 21 years old 5'10"ish and weigh 160 pounds. I have been working out on and off for the past 5-6 years, do I know my way around a gym/lingo pretty well. Over the past two months I haven't been able to get in the gym though because of work and preparing for the Bourbon Chase. As you would guess, I have lost a lot of muscle mass and tone. I'm wanting to do something other that my usual routine so I have started Starr's 5x5 workout. Do you like that workout? Are there any things you think I should do as supplemental workouts? Any dietary changes I should make?

Of course I'm wanting to add strength, but my main goals are a nice physique.

Stick to the Starr workout for a second. Stay consistent to it before you change.

Now supplement wise I don't do a lot of supplements. I'm on whey isolate this winter and BCAAs. Other than that nothing else.

Diet wise it depends on if you are adding actual mass and strength or if you're looking for lean gains. When you get really consistent working out you can eat around 4000 calories a day and burn it up. Especially at your age.

Stick to the Starr workout for a second. Stay consistent to it before you change.

Now supplement wise I don't do a lot of supplements. I'm on whey isolate this winter and BCAAs. Other than that nothing else.

Diet wise it depends on if you are adding actual mass and strength or if you're looking for lean gains. When you get really consistent working out you can eat around 4000 calories a day and burn it up. Especially at your age.

I have been pretty ripped before so I know that I can get to that point again, I just really want to try something new. Everything I read about the Starr workout made it sound real good. On Tuesday and Thursday I have been doing my cardio which usually just consists of running a bit- like 3 or more miles. Also as a supplement I am using some Gold Standard whey protein. I take it Mon, Wed, and Fri in the morning and post-workout, I take it post-run on tues and thurs.

I have been pretty ripped before so I know that I can get to that point again, I just really want to try something new. Everything I read about the Starr workout made it sound real good. On Tuesday and Thursday I have been doing my cardio which usually just consists of running a bit- like 3 or more miles. Also as a supplement I am using some Gold Standard whey protein. I take it Mon, Wed, and Fri in the morning and post-workout, I take it post-run on tues and thurs.

I bulked with regular food last year. My buddy uses that Gold Standard though. I'm using the BSN Isolate personally this year. Keeps me somewhat lean as I put on 15 more pounds.

I bulked with regular food last year. My buddy uses that Gold Standard though. I'm using the BSN Isolate personally this year. Keeps me somewhat lean as I put on 15 more pounds.

Gold Standard malt chocolate is my go to. It has a good, not overly rich flavor that makes it perfect for chugging. I haven't been too concerned with my diet thus far. I've just been making sure to try and get calories and protein in myself.

Is my cardio on in between days a good idea? I've been a runner for about two years now so I like incorporating it.

It's been the hardest thing to get past. My partial tear was because of a bone spur. I try to remember it was a fluke thing and nothing I did wrong to get hurt (but it happened on a push-up). Every time I go to the box I feel more confident.

I did crossfit for a year and loved every day of it. Not just for the workout but the people at my box.

Although I do feel it contributed to me getting shoulder surgery. My left shoulder hurt so bad I couldn't do one honest pushup. I couldn't even do warmup weight on over head presses. Just reaching overhead to get something off the shelf hurt.

I'm not one that thinks crossfit is unsafe. There were people much older than me, and out of shape, doing the same thing and were fine. I like the Olympic movements, but I do think trying to do a bunch of them in sets against the clock can be stupid and you're just asking to be hurt if you go too heavy or too long. Just a couple pieces of advice:

1. Don't be afraid to take some time off to get over pains. I had two or three pains that wouldn't go away and I tried to work through them or modify what I was doing. I took a few days off here and there, but nothing truly beneficial. Two pains went away, one didn't. Might be why I ended up needing shoulder surgery. In restrospect I should have taken about 8-10 weeks off and just rested or done some light running.

2. Watch how much overhead stuff you're doing. It will wear on your shoulders. Over head presses, handstand pushups(even modified), wall balls, thrusters, slamballs, snatches, overhead squats, ect....crossfit can be very shoulder intensive.

Last edited:
Im really looking to get back into shape. Im 21, and 215 pounds. Heaviest of my life. Im a tick under 6 foot. What has killed me is the 8-5 desk job and the 6-10 evening classes three nights a week.

VN Store

Back