Question for those that travel to Europe

GreveHaller

Looks like I'm going in the next few months and wanted to get ideas from others that have gone recently or go frequently.

I'll have my iphone with me and can get wifi on occasions when I go to an establishment and get their password. That's fine but then I got to lurk around their place to check the net. I'm thinking of a couple of options so I dont have to rely on others for internet service.

1) buy it from my provider (verizon). I can get a global plan on my mifi device. Only problem is it can be very expensive. Plus I'll have a wife and two kids on it so data usage could be high.

2). buy some sort of data package from a local cell provider for the duration of the trip

Wanted to see if anyone had success or problems on either one.

Not Europe, but normally what I do when I go to Central or South America is buy a local phone with a sim card and purchase minutes for around $40-50. Then you can use Skype for calls made to family & friends back here in the US. I've used the same phone from on trip on 3 occasions and just changed out the sim card and added minutes if I go to another country or go on a later trip.

That seems to be the most affordable way.

Look into the Vonage app. My aunt went to Paris this summer and was texting and sending pics with it, also saw a Vonage commercial last night about the app. Im not sure if you can call on it or what but look into it, may be some help.

but the vonage app is only for voice, am I correct? I'm trying to work out the data portion.

wont be in a hotel which is one reason I need it (should have stated that in the beginning. sorry)

In that case, I'd probably go the local route as it will undoubtedly be cheaper. The quality should also be fine unless you are going someplace like the war-torn region of the Ukraine.

Verizon 4G devices are unlocked out of the box. Just get a SIM card when you get there and you're good to go.

Verizon 4G devices are unlocked out of the box. Just get a SIM card when you get there and you're good to go.

I travel the world and have found it is easy to get a good smart phone (Nokia has one), with dual sim card capability for around $60 US equivalent. Add a couple of sim cards for about $5 and you are in business. Currently, I pay about $14 per month for unlimited 3G in Thailand. Equatorial Guinea was a bit more pricey, but the Dictator's family has to make a living too.

You may want to get a VPN download (I use Photon) to get around some of the blocked sites, if he is traveling to old Soviet bloc countries.

Have a great trip!!

I didn't realize that... have they always been unlocked or is this a recent development? I have Verizon and tried before to get my domestic phone to work overseas and ran into some problems, which is why I just bought a local phone.

VN Store

Back