Asset Seizures fuel Police Spending

...in your opinion

Mine too. I don't see a need for small town police departments to have armored vehicles and other capabilities traditionally reserved for the military. You can centralize some of that at the county level or in larger municipalities and rely on the national guard for the rest.

Reactions: 2 people
Mine too. I don't see a need for small town police departments to have armored vehicles and other capabilities traditionally reserved for the military. You can centralize some of that at the county level or in larger municipalities and rely on the national guard for the rest.

in the end, its not your money buying it so what they want to spend it on is planning for the future, not using public money to maintain the level of protection they give. To get anything above the bare basics in today's limited resources require an act of God, better known as a tax increase. That's our money. All they have done was use money from the bad guys to buy stuff to fight the bad guys. Using their own money against themselves, not my money.

in the end, its not your money buying it so what they want to spend it on is planning for the future, not using public money to maintain the level of protection they give. To get anything above the bare basics in today's limited resources require an act of God, better known as a tax increase. That's our money. All they have done was use money from the bad guys to buy stuff to fight the bad guys. Using their own money against themselves, not my money.
Ah, but that is the point, it could very easily be my money, or yours. If I'm carrying some cash, like the guy going out to buy a car and get stopped for a broken tail light, that cash is subject to be seized of I can't prove that I earned it legally and am not headed to do something illegal with it.

Reactions: 4 people

So you assume anything seized must have come from a bad guy?

Reactions: 3 people

That's the whole point of the article. Anything can be seized from anyone suspected of a crime. It's a huge abuse of power.

So you assume anything seized must have come from a bad guy?

The problem is simply that there are no checks and balances when it comes to seizures. TN has a huge problem with this. It is not illegal to have cash, but the cops on one case seized tens of thousands in cash under the pretense of "currency violations".

Innocent people are forced to spend even more cash on lawyers to get the money back and then wait for years to see a result.

Highway Robbery: Tennessee Police Are Seizing Cash From Out-of-State Visitors In Policy Called “Policing For Profit” | JONATHAN TURLEY

Reactions: 1 person
That's the whole point of the article. Anything can be seized from anyone suspected of a crime. It's a huge abuse of power.

No, there is no suspicion of a crime needed. You only have to fail to satisfy the officer's skepticism that people shouldn't carry cash with them. There is no probable cause and there doesn't need to be any charges against the person. In fact, the charges will go against the asset seized, as in "the State of Tennessee vs $2000 in cash." You have to go to the judicial center and petition to get your asset back and often it is a prosecutor, not a judge who is the decision maker in the matter.

I would love to see some data on how many asset seizures occur right after a local city council passes the police budget..."Oh, they didn't fund the new H&Ks? Ok, boys, go get some cash!"

John Oliver did a good piece on this a few weeks ago:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks[/youtube]

It' not always "bad guy's" money and that is the problem.

Should be using money to equip every single officer with full time video recording and less than lethal armament.

Anyone believing in or that supports pre conviction asset seizures either profits from it or participates in it.

so you'd be ok if they bought that stuff with your tax money. :crazy:

You are overlooking the fact that the state is able to simply take property, often just based on a whim and no conviction. Are you comfortable with this going on in 'Murica?

You are overlooking the fact that the state is able to simply take property, often just based on a whim and no conviction. Are you comfortable with this going on in 'Murica?

and you're overlooking the fact that they are not using tax payer money to make purchase to help their department. Are you comfortable for your tax money being paid for this instead of the bad guy's money?

and you're overlooking the fact that they are not using tax payer money to make purchase to help their department. Are you comfortable for your tax money being paid for this instead of the bad guy's money?

Are you going to just keep repeating that it's "the bad guy's money"? You've said that already and it's already been addressed in this thread.

Reactions: 4 people

So none of the people who had their assets seized are tax payers?

And again, if it was ONLY the bad guys money I might, support it but it's not ONLY the bad guys money and possessions being taken.

I'm just not a fan of the organization that seizes money getting to spend it. That creates such a conflict.

I think gov't should be a little more advanced than 'finders keepers'.

I'm just not a fan of the organization that seizes money getting to spend it. That creates such a conflict.

I think gov't should be a little more advanced than 'finders keepers'.

can you give an example of what to do besides raise our taxes?

btw, if the seizure was undue you can get your money back

Are you going to just keep repeating that it's "the bad guy's money"? You've said that already and it's already been addressed in this thread.

what else do you want to call it? it is money obtained from criminals and or criminal activies. Does that help you? Not sure why the wording has you worked up

This is a source of funding that does not add to the burden of the tax payer. It is using the resources available without depleting the bottom line which is the business plan governments work on.

If you have any suggestions on how to provide funding for a police department without adding to the tax payer then lets hear it.

VN Store

Back