Have you ever jumped in the car and ...

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
...taken an unplanned trip/vacation on the spur of the moment?

I haven't, but I've thought about it several times.

No sir. I have thought about it just like you. But I am a planner and I would freak out with all the what if's and what could happen scenarios. The thought is awesome though.

Yes actually, summer break first year of college me and my best friend were bored at like 1am. Called about 4 other friends got in the car and drove 6 hours to the beach.

I've taken day trips like that but never a vacation where I was gone a night.

Yep. My wife and I have done this several times and they always end up to be very good trips. We'll leave the house with an overnight bag packed and flip a coin at each decision point (East/West or North/South etc). Once we feel we are on the way somewhere, we'll start checking for cool things to do or see on the route. Just a few months ago, we found a beautiful hotel and 4 star restaurant in Lancaster that we never had heard of...ended up with a gourmet dinner and a luxurious king room with a hot tub, all from just flipping coins. Our most epic was when we were stationed in Japan and ended up in the middle of the Japanese Alps. Had some great trout for dinner at a table with over 20000 candles, stayed at a small Japanese Inn and then took a pirate ship across the lake the next day.

Highly recommend unplanned excursions.

First time I did was freshman year in college to go see the vols play basketball in s carolina. Woke up kind of early and decided to drive to columbia to make the 12pm tipoff

Only other time was a couple years ago my wife and I after work on a Friday were discussing what to do that night. We ended up driving to Louisville and spent the weekend. Was a lot of fun.

almost every trip I take is decided upon quickly. I don't have vacation days or anything like that, so if I see a window, we will take off.
Leaving thurs night and coming back Monday night this week. It's nice at the beach, so we are rolling down.

Reactions: 1 person
Sure did! Work situation required a hiatus so spent two weeks in Florida visiting college buddies all over the state. I drank a lot.

Not since I was in the Army.

One time in HS was out with some buddies had a few too many and passed out in the back seat. Woke up to the sounds of waves crashing, they decided to go to Myrtle Beach at some point during the night.

Sure, couple of times out to the coast. Sometimes I'd sleep in my car, others I'd get a cheap motel room.

First time I did was freshman year in college to go see the vols play basketball in s carolina. Woke up kind of early and decided to drive to columbia to make the 12pm tipoff

Only other time was a couple years ago my wife and I after work on a Friday were discussing what to do that night. We ended up driving to Louisville and spent the weekend. Was a lot of fun.

almost every trip I take is decided upon quickly. I don't have vacation days or anything like that, so if I see a window, we will take off.
Leaving thurs night and coming back Monday night this week. It's nice at the beach, so we are rolling down.

Sure did! Work situation required a hiatus so spent two weeks in Florida visiting college buddies all over the state. I drank a lot.

Not since I was in the Army.

One time in HS was out with some buddies had a few too many and passed out in the back seat. Woke up to the sounds of waves crashing, they decided to go to Myrtle Beach at some point during the night.

Sure, couple of times out to the coast. Sometimes I'd sleep in my car, others I'd get a cheap motel room.

These are all the fun people, imo.

...taken an unplanned trip/vacation on the spur of the moment?

I haven't, but I've thought about it several times.

The wife and I have taken several spur of the minute trips. It is the beat kind., IMO.

We do have a RV, keep it packed ready to go. Some of our best memories came from a few of t.hese trips.

Yep. My wife and I have done this several times and they always end up to be very good trips. We'll leave the house with an overnight bag packed and flip a coin at each decision point (East/West or North/South etc). Once we feel we are on the way somewhere, we'll start checking for cool things to do or see on the route. Just a few months ago, we found a beautiful hotel and 4 star restaurant in Lancaster that we never had heard of...ended up with a gourmet dinner and a luxurious king room with a hot tub, all from just flipping coins. Our most epic was when we were stationed in Japan and ended up in the middle of the Japanese Alps. Had some great trout for dinner at a table with over 20000 candles, stayed at a small Japanese Inn and then took a pirate ship across the lake the next day.

Highly recommend unplanned excursions.

The wife and I have taken several spur of the minute trips. It is the beat kind., IMO.

We do have a RV, keep it packed ready to go. Some of our best memories came from a few of t.hese trips.

You guys make me want to give it a shot at some point. :)

They're old, it's easier for them..... :p

Excuses, excuses. The Japan trip was in 2000 and we had all 5 kids at home. We took them back up to the same mountain a few months later--that took a lot more coordination and planning!

VN Store

Back