Tractors

TDTennessee

Alright, you guys know everything else about everything, so I think this wouldn't be any different. I need a tractor to move some 1,000-1,500 pound round bales of hay and what other miscellaneous activities that I have going on. I have looked at what feels like hundreds and don't feel any better about it. Trying to stay around $15,000ish. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Just use that Bigass dually you bought..
Put one of those ice pick looking adapters on it :)

Massey ferguson 375 to 385 would do the trick. They are early 90s late 80s tractors. They are very efficient with a Perkins diesel. Should run anywhere from 9 to 15 k.

Don't let the age fool you they are very good tractors.

5610 ford would do the job also.

I don't recommend John Deere. They drink the diesel.

Alright, you guys know everything else about everything, so I think this wouldn't be any different. I need a tractor to move some 1,000-1,500 pound round bales of hay and what other miscellaneous activities that I have going on. I have looked at what feels like hundreds and don't feel any better about it. Trying to stay around $15,000ish. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

What brand do you like?

What brand do you like?

I'm indifferent. I'm not all caught up on having something specific, would rather have something that will do what I need it to. I have looked at two John Deeres, a kubota, and a new holland. Looking at one more tomorrow.

Massey ferguson 375 to 385 would do the trick. They are early 90s late 80s tractors. They are very efficient with a Perkins diesel. Should run anywhere from 9 to 15 k.

How important is 4wd?

Love Masseys. Wish I had one now.

How important is 4wd?

Very important. I'm partial to deere. Been on them my whole life. I've got 7 horses I take care of. I use my little 4310 4x4 to handle the chores. It handles 5x5 round bales easy enough.

Just sit on a bunch of them and find the one that feels right to you. You made a great purchase in a truck, I'm sure you will do fine with your tractor purchase.

I guess I should have asked first, are you looking for a compact tractor?

How important is 4wd?

Depends on a couple of factors: tractor weight, level ground, experience

If you are on level ground you won't need 4 wheel drive, if you have a tractor that can handle the weight.

If you are on an embankment four wheel drive is the way to go.

I don't know how much experience you have on a tractor, and that is probably the biggest factor.

Depends on a couple of factors: tractor weight, level ground, experience

If you are on level ground you won't need 4 wheel drive, if you have a tractor that can handle the weight.

If you are on an embankment four wheel drive is the way to go.

I don't know how much experience you have on a tractor, and that is probably the biggest factor.

I don't have much. I have driven them around and that's about it. I haven't moved any hay or done any real work with them, so it will all be fairly new to me. For the most part our land is fairly level. There are a few pastures with slight inclines, but nothing to crazy.

I went and looked at a 1988 JD 2150 last week. About 2500hrs, comes with the loader and a hay spear. He was asking 11,500. Only thing that concerns me is that it's not 4wd. I've found that's it's fairly difficult to find something that's in the HP range that I'm looking for that is 4wd, a vast majority have only been 2wd.

How about a Hoyt-Clagwell? Just don't buy it from Mr. Haney and make sure you have extra thing-a-ma-jigs and doo-hickies

Hoyt-Clagwell_Tractor.jpg

I went and looked at a 1988 JD 2150 last week. About 2500hrs, comes with the loader and a hay spear. He was asking 11,500. Only thing that concerns me is that it's not 4wd. I've found that's it's fairly difficult to find something that's in the HP range that I'm looking for that is 4wd, a vast majority have only been 2wd.

If you are moving 1500 pound hay bales that will be a challenge.

I grew up in the mountains driving various small tractors doing similar work you are describing and never found myself in a position that I needed 4WD. The locking differential is needed, but not 4WD.

Age really doesn't matter if it's been kept up. Just check the hours.

Dad has an old International 384 that is still a horse for small all purpose work.

I grew up in the mountains driving various small tractors doing similar work you are describing and never found myself in a position that I needed 4WD. The locking differential is needed, but not 4WD.

Dad has an old International 384 that is still a horse for small all purpose work.

True . there are several of the 1950's model Ford 8N still doing a good job as well as the 1960's Ford Dexters., two of the better small tractors ever manufactured

My dad is still using both a Massey Ferguson 1100 and 1135. The 1100 is a late 70's and the 1135 is an early 80's. We've replaced the clutch in both a couple times and a few other fixes but both are running strong.

My dad is still using both a Massey Ferguson 1100 and 1135. The 1100 is a late 70's and the 1135 is an early 80's. We've replaced the clutch in both a couple times and a few other fixes but both are running strong.

How hard is it to change the clutch in those?

VN Store

Back