You believed what!?!? for way to long...

pualsline

poakley@safeoak.com
Radio had people calling in explaining things that they had been told when they were younger that they believed for way to long...Some examples are

*Guy believed the world was black and white until the 1940's when TV started in color

*That Alaska was an island because on a map it was always separate from land

One that I actually know someone that believed this.

*A girl's mom rolled through a stop sign when she was young. The girl asked her mom about it. The mom said, "oh that stop sign only applies to the family whose yard it was in." That girl drove through that stop sign without slowing down. Her friends had to break it easy to her

*I believe Santa would throw pepper in my eyes and make me go blind if I tried to sneak a peak of him on Christmas morning.

What else do you have Volnation?

I remember there being "don't drink and drive" commercials when I was really young. I just assumed it meant you couldn't drink anything in the car and thought my parents were being bad whenever they drank something in the car. Eventually I called them out on it, and they straightened me out.

As a kid I believed the earth was actually tilting back and forth to cause the seasons. I guess I thought God was hitting a button like a garage door opener or something.

Speaking of God.... I used to think he looked like the Brawny paper towel guy.

Reactions: 2 people
The generation of folks that thought the world was black and white when they were younger is slowly withering away.

I never knew you could actually go up into the St Louis Arch. Always thought it was just a useless monument.

I was in my late 20s before someone straightened me out about the rainbow stickers on cars. I had no idea it was a gay pride thing. I thought it showed support for Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Push Coalition.

Mid 30s when someone informed me there is a difference between moot and mute. Unfortunately, it was after I gave a presentation to my employer and colleagues where I used the phrase "mute point" several times.

Apparently, a lot of people still believe than an apostrophe belongs in a plural word.

I thought olives came with pimentos in them or actually that olives had little red caps.

olive-pimento.jpg

When I was real young my cousin taught me that doing something "on purpose" meant you didn't mean to do it. So when we got in trouble i would always tell our parents that "I did it on purpose" my sister was merciful enough to fix it before I started school.

When I was younger, my mom, who is about as unscientific as they come, explained thunder as the sound when two clouds bumped into each other.

You can imagine my dismay of no thunder when looking at clouds bump into each other on a summer or fall day; not to mention the unintentional amusement I brought to my teacher and fellow classmates.

I also though tiny bits of bar soap going down the drain in the shower would cause the house to burn down.

I tried to save everyone in my family. They wouldn't leave so I sat in the front yard by myself waiting for the house to catch fire. It never did.

I don't belive in nothing.

Actually I just can't think of any right now.

I also though tiny bits of bar soap going down the drain in the shower would cause the house to burn down.

I tried to save everyone in my family. They wouldn't leave so I sat in the front yard by myself waiting for the house to catch fire. It never did.

PKT, I am interested in how the young you correlated bar soap bits in the drain and combustion of your casa.

That babies came from eggs just like chicken eggs.

My cousins and I knew about sex but we thought it was just something bad people did. Our moms wouldn't do it. We thought babies just happened to grow random in the tummy.

As a kid I believed the earth was actually tilting back and forth to cause the seasons. I guess I thought God was hitting a button like a garage door opener or something.

The seasons actually are caused by the earth's tilt. It's why Summer in the northern hemisphere is Winter in the southern hemisphere. The tilt means either half gets more direct sunlight while the other half gets indirect sunlight.

The earth doesn't actually get any further away in orbit, the sunlight intensity just changes based on where it can hit the earth.

So as a kid... you weren't that far off.

I couldn't understand unplanned pregnancies. Told my parents if people didn't want to get pregnant they should sleep in bunk beds.

I used to believe 10 win seasons = underachievement. Then Dooley was our coach and well you guys know the rest.

VN Store

Back