External Hard Drive Partitions

CanadianVol

Don't know if I'll get an answer here, but figured I'd ask.

I have a WD My Book external hard drive. I've formatted the hard drive into exFAT so I can use it for both Mac and PC. I backed up my wife's computer (Mac) and I can see it on my PC. I'm trying to backup certain parts of my PC to the same hard drive. I backed it up, but I can't see it on the hard drive once the backup says it's done. My question is, do I need to create multiple partitions for this to work? Am I not thinking about this right?

Appreciate the help :hi:

I actually re ran it last night, and it looks like it worked, it just filed everything separately. I'm just using the stock WD program that came with the drive to backup.

I actually re ran it last night, and it looks like it worked, it just filed everything separately. I'm just using the stock WD program that came with the drive to backup.

That WD program is trash. I have started using Robocopy to backup my stuff to an external. I can teach you how to write a script that will mirror what you want backed up to your external drive, if you want?

Reactions: 1 person
That WD program is trash. I have started using Robocopy to backup my stuff to an external. I can teach you how to write a script that will mirror what you want backed up to your external drive, if you want?

That would be cool. I actually figured out today that they didn't back up some of the videos I wanted backed up of my kids, so i figured out I could just drag and drop it to the drive in windows, and it looked like it worked fine. Is Robocopy free?

That would be cool. I actually figured out today that they didn't back up some of the videos I wanted backed up of my kids, so i figured out I could just drag and drop it to the drive in windows, and it looked like it worked fine. Is Robocopy free?

Yes. It's built-in to Windows 7. Is that what you are using?

Yup. How hard is it to run? I'm basically tech illiterate.

Really easy.

I need to know two things, and I will give you the code to make your backup run.

First, I need the location of what you are backing up. Like the C:\Users folder or specific user you want to back up. Second, I need to know the drive letter of the external drive and the folder you want to setup to get the data to back up to.

VN Store

Back