How Often Do You Take Photos at Events?

VOLatile

BRB Pooping
I was at a Black Keys concert last night in Chicago and got general admission floor tickets. I was about 5 people from the stage and it seemed like EVERYONE in front of me just held their phone up the entire show, recording every song. This killed my experience. It was an amazing performance, but I couldn't see anything.

So that leads me to ask, do you take a lot of photos at events? Have any of you experienced this same thing? How do you feel about it? Where do you share the photos at? Do you share on Facebook just to rub it in?

I was at a Black Keys concert last night in Chicago and got general admission floor tickets. I was about 5 people from the stage and it seemed like EVERYONE in front of me just held their phone up the entire show, recording every song. This killed my experience. It was an amazing performance, but I couldn't see anything.

So that leads me to ask, do you take a lot of photos at events? Have any of you experienced this same thing? How do you feel about it? Where do you share the photos at? Do you share on Facebook just to rub it in?

When I went to see Paul McCartney last year it was the same way. I took a few at the start but I put my phone up pretty quick out of respect for people behind me. The jackasses in front of me though didn't. :banghead2:

When I went to see Paul McCartney last year it was the same way. I took a few at the start but I put my phone up pretty quick out of respect for people behind me. The jackasses in front of me though didn't. :banghead2:

I'd assume McCartney was an older crowd, too, so it isn't an age specific phenomenon.

I'd assume McCartney was an older crowd, too, so it isn't an age specific phenomenon.

Surprisingly no. Sure you had some older people there but where my seats were at it was mostly people around my own age (21 at the time), I would guess most people were in their 20s in my section.

I recently saw Brad Mehldau Trio at the Tennessee Theatre and they had a no cell phone pictures/video rule. Not sure if it was Brad or TT, but they announced it early and everyone abided by it. Didn't I recently read on VN of an artist who took a fan's cell at a concert because of this?

Holding your cellphone up at a concert the entire time is as dumb as standing at a football game the entire time.

Reactions: 1 person
Taking a few pictures is one thing. Recording the whole thing is another. Admittedly I have recorded a single song or two before but I always tried to be
descreet about it.

But it's simply the age we live in now.

I'll take maybe half a dozen and a short video or two (30 seconds), but mostly I just try to enjoy the show.

I don't know why people do this either. It always looks and sounds terrible when you go back and watch it anyway. I did catch myself recording the run through the T at the opener this year. I realized that in the end I had a crappy video and didn't even really watch them run through the T unless you count looking at the screen. Yeah I won't be doing that again lol

It's funny/ironic how people focus so much on recording an experience to watch later that they end up not focusing on the experience as it happens.

Be in the moment - it's easier to relive that way.

Reactions: 2 people
It's funny/ironic how people focus so much on recording an experience to watch later that they end up not focusing on the experience as it happens.

Seriously, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Between cell phones and people holding up signs...it drives me Freaking nuts. I'm not a tall guy 5'10" and I cam not stand people who pull this ****. Have some Damn respect. I was at a concert at the house of blues this year (The Dan Band) and my wife and I made friends with the couple next to us when out of no where some douche bag decided to stand directly infront of his wife. So the politely asked the couple if they coild move...this guy just said NO. He said he could stand anywhere he pleased and we just had to deal with it. So we started being rude and making sure they were miserable. The guy got pissed and mouthy, so my wife asked the guy if he enjoyed having his *** kicked cause if he did all 6 of us were going to get thrown out . He moved and his girlfriend even called him a **** for being that way. People can be pricks

Last edited:

Couldn't have said it better myself. My wife and I constantly butt heads over this issue when it comes to our kids.

Don't get me wrong, I love having pictures and videos of my children. With that said I also like to experience holidays, birthdays, and games/plays without having to do it via a 4 inch screen. My wife gets so mad at me because I don't share her opinion that every moment of our kids lives needs to be recorded through a video or picture. I try to just enjoy it as it's happening and it's kind of hard to do that from the other side of a cell phone or a video camera.

Reactions: 2 people
Have you ever looked at that recording? It's utter crap quality. Pointless.

Actually I have. I recorded it with an 8mm app so the point was to have "poor" quality. The sound want all bad since it was a small venue.

I wouldn't do it for an entire show though.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My wife and I constantly butt heads over this issue when it comes to our kids.

Don't get me wrong, I love having pictures and videos of my children. With that said I also like to experience holidays, birthdays, and games/plays without having to do it via a 4 inch screen. My wife gets so mad at me because I don't share her opinion that every moment of our kids lives needs to be recorded through a video or picture. I try to just enjoy it as it's happening and it's kind of hard to do that from the other side of a cell phone or a video camera.

Tell her if she wants to record something to do it herself with her own phone.

VN Store

Back