Vacation thoughts?

RollinVol

So the wife and I are planning a vacation without the kids? Either charleston sc or savannah ga. Has anybody been there for vacation before? Your thoughts on which one would be better. Thanks.

Never vacationed in Savannah but Charelston is fun.

Pretty historic and an overall enjoyable city. Decent night life for a smaller city as well.

I like both cities but Savannah is nicer. It's cleaner, has nicer hotels, nicer restaurantrs, nicer downtown and River St. Plus Tybee Island is a much nicer beach than Folly.

Now Isle of Palms just north of Charleston is a nice quiet beach but there isn't much else to do up there.

Charleston is more of a college town in my opinion. Of course that may be because I used to go there at least once a year when I was in college. Had some great times there but as an adult the wife and I enjoy Savannah much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Palm Springs or Las Vegas are nice. I need a vacation,i haven't been on a real vacation since 2008. Then,my wife and I went to Walt Disney World for a week.

I grew up in Charleston and have been to Savannah once, so my bias is Charleston. Plus I think there is a lot more to do.

Went on our honeymoon to Charleston, there's quite a bit to do there and it's a good getaway.

Do a split vacation, spend 2 or 3 days in each city. They are only 2 hours apart. Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 person
Both are ok. Outside of river street savannah doesn't offer much & tybee island isn't a 5 minute drive if you wanna spend time at the beach. Charleston has folly beach & isle of palms that are pretty close together. I guess it would depend on what you guys are looking to do.

Charleston is one of my favorite places to visit. If you want to stay on the beach, Isle of Palms/Wild Dunes area is very close. If it's just the two of you, get a place downtown and just walk around. There are tons of fantastic restaurants, shops, art galleries, and parks at your disposal. The USS Yorktown is cool to visit, especially if you haven't been on a big warship before. My wife and I have been trying to find a weekend to return...we always love visiting Charleston.

I loved Charleston when I was a kid. My dad was navy and stationed there. But that was over 30 years ago, so I don't know what it's like now. Never been to Savannah.

Charleston is one of my favorite places to visit. If you want to stay on the beach, Isle of Palms/Wild Dunes area is very close. If it's just the two of you, get a place downtown and just walk around. There are tons of fantastic restaurants, shops, art galleries, and parks at your disposal. The USS Yorktown is cool to visit, especially if you haven't been on a big warship before. My wife and I have been trying to find a weekend to return...we always love visiting Charleston.

The Civil War submarine Hunley is in Charleston..I would stay there and drive down to Savannah for the day to take some photos of attractions like the Waving Girl
Friends of the Hunley
Savannah, GA - Savannah's Waving Girl

We vacationed for years on Kiawah Island so driving to Charleston was kind of a regular thing to do. Both cities are very historic and both are great places to visit. I second Gramps on visiting both if you're up to it. It was impossible to go to Savannah and not think of "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil" with John Cusack and Kevin Spacey. Savannah is a beautiful place to visit and at the same time so is Charleston. It's actually funny you should try to choose between the two of those cities.

VN Store

Back