BBQ question

Orange Blazer

You serious Clark?
I am having folks over tomorrow for the game and am preparing a Pork butt, or so I thought. I got my rub on and as I'm throwing away the package I see the label says "Pork steak shoulder butt". What did I buy and did I waste $30. Can I make pulled pork out of this? There seems to be less fat and the meat fella more tender. Help!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Does it taste good?

If it does, cook it low and slow and you're good.

If it doesn't, cook it high and long and drench it in sauce.

You should be fine.. Smoke at 250. When done wrap it and put it in a cooler for a couple hours before u pull it,it will be tender and juicy

Low and slow works for all meat. Pork shoulder does not need no more than about 4 hrs smoke or it will be bitter. Wrapping it helps.

The cut of pork that is commonly called "butt" actually comes from the shoulder. You're going to be fine.

I would guess that since the word "steak" is in there, it's probably a thinner slice than the full chunk of meat that you usually get with the pork butt, and probably without the big hard fat cap that the cut usually comes on it too. Which just means it'll take less time to cook. It'll still be tasty as hell.

The cut of pork that is commonly called "butt" actually comes from the shoulder. You're going to be fine.

I would guess that since the word "steak" is in there, it's probably a thinner slice than the full chunk of meat that you usually get with the pork butt, and probably without the big hard fat cap that the cut usually comes with too. Which just means it'll take less time to cook. It'll still be tasty as hell.

The first thing I noticed was the smaller fat cap on top. Only covers half of it. Thinner too. I typically wrap it after 4 hours. I'll make sure to keep my temp in check. Thanks everybody. I was worried there for a minute.

I am having folks over tomorrow for the game and am preparing a Pork butt, or so I thought. I got my rub on and as I'm throwing away the package I see the label says "Pork steak shoulder butt". What did I buy and did I waste $30. Can I make pulled pork out of this? There seems to be less fat and the meat fella more tender. Help!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It's more like a roast, smoke it around 250 for 3 hours and finish in a crock pot with salt pork or bacon for more juice , periodically inject it with the juices you'll get in the bottom of the rock pot to keep it from drying out, I call myself the "NaturalBornGriller"
And friends and family will vouch for my reputation ! Look into a rotisserie , great way to cook anything and everything, I use a "Carson Rotisserie" cooks low and slow with natural lump charcoal which I hope you put in the BGE, I serve upto 30 people all nite at cookouts , (Texas De Brazil style cooking ) pull a spear off full of meat and walk it around with a knife and cut off chunks directly on my guests plates! What type wood chips are you using? I like a mix of hickory and apple for pork, mild and sweet smoke, btw throw some bacon wrapped chicken into that egg for apps! Happy Grilling and Go Big Orange!

It's more like a roast, smoke it around 250 for 3 hours and finish in a crock pot with salt pork or bacon for more juice , periodically inject it with the juices you'll get in the bottom of the rock pot to keep it from drying out, I call myself the "NaturalBornGriller"
And friends and family will vouch for my reputation ! Look into a rotisserie , great way to cook anything and everything, I use a "Carson Rotisserie" cooks low and slow with natural lump charcoal which I hope you put in the BGE, I serve upto 30 people all nite at cookouts , (Texas De Brazil style cooking ) pull a spear off full of meat and walk it around with a knife and cut off chunks directly on my guests plates! What type wood chips are you using? I like a mix of hickory and apple for pork, mild and sweet smoke, btw throw some bacon wrapped chicken into that egg for apps! Happy Grilling and Go Big Orange!

Apple and hickory chunks. I'll try the crock pot. What setting do you typically put the crock pot on?

Apple and hickory chunks. I'll try the crock pot. What setting do you typically put the crock pot on?

High to build heat fast and med- low to finish.
The meat will sweat like we do and stall around 150 -160 and drive te moisture out, if it's taking to long put it back on high and around 275 , you can slice it in the crock pot and to help it along in the end, I really like slices , they're great on a big bun !

Why in the world are you cooking your own bbq if you are in Memphis?

Really, Memphis BBQ is not currently top notch, yeah there are a few good resturants with a good pulled pork sammich, or ribs done right, N Miss has the good BBQ as of right now, the Chain resturants have taken over and are cheaper than lets say Rendevous , or corkys, I will get my fix at Corkys every now and them but I prefer cooking myself, it is rewarding when your work disappears down your guest gullet!

Is there such a thing as "bad BBQ"? Sure brisket and ribs can be screwed up, but how can you screw up a pork butt?

Really, Memphis BBQ is not currently top notch, yeah there are a few good resturants with a good pulled pork sammich, or ribs done right, N Miss has the good BBQ as of right now, the Chain resturants have taken over and are cheaper than lets say Rendevous , or corkys, I will get my fix at Corkys every now and them but I prefer cooking myself, it is rewarding when your work disappears down your guest gullet!
I prefer to satisfy my BBQ cravings on my own smoker, but the pulled turkey and catfish at corkeys are pretty solid.

Don't even mention Corkys and Rendezvous in the same breath as Memphis BBQ. It may be what most think of when they think of Memphis BBQ, but the locals know better

Reactions: 2 people
Don't even mention Corkys and Rendezvous in the same breath as Memphis BBQ. It may be what most think of when they think of Memphis BBQ, but the locals know better

They're both mediocre , I'm a fan of Baby Jacks in bartlett , Chop house in Ms, Central BBQ and Germantown Commisary.
Jim Neelys Interstate BBQ is good , when I'm out that way, but the best is hard to say. Depends how you like it.

They're both mediocre , I'm a fan of Baby Jacks in bartlett , Chop house in Ms, Central BBQ and Germantown Commisary.
Jim Neelys Interstate BBQ is good , when I'm out that way, but the best is hard to say. Depends how you like it.

Central, Commissary, Leonards, and BBQ Shop are my favorites. I avoid Corkys and rendezvous.

Go cheap and get a tub from the grocery store. Have North Carolina style BBQ sandwiches(slaw on top of BBQ).

VN Store

Back