All things fishing thread

barknoxbrawler

Fishing is relaxing. Fishing is fun. Name your favorite type of lures and what kind of water you enjoy fishing the most and let's get this discussion going. I enjoy creek and small river fishing off a kayak. I have had recent success with a 3'-6' crank bait and the Hoppe brand buzzbait. Fish have been hitting the buzz right off the grass and the crank in the deeper waters. The Harpeth did not yield much last week but I've had some really good days on it. Also Swan Creek in Hickman count has given me plenty of nice size smallies and large mouth perfect for the pan. What is your favorite place, lure and fish you go for?

Fishing is relaxing. Fishing is fun. Name your favorite type of lures and what kind of water you enjoy fishing the most and let's get this discussion going. I enjoy creek and small river fishing off a kayak. I have had recent success with a 3'-6' crank bait and the Hoppe brand buzzbait. Fish have been hitting the buzz right off the grass and the crank in the deeper waters. The Harpeth did not yield much last week but I've had some really good days on it. Also Swan Creek in Hickman count has given me plenty of nice size smallies and large mouth perfect for the pan. What is your favorite place, lure and fish you go for?

I've wanted to float the Swan for smallies. A buddy of mine works for the state and does stream surveys. He saw it and said it looked promising.

Have you ever fished the Piney river? Yellow creek?

I've wanted to float the Swan for smallies. A buddy of mine works for the state and does stream surveys. He saw it and said it looked promising.

Have you ever fished the Piney river? Yellow creek?

Swan is a great float. It gets treacherous on certain parts as it is as wide as the Harpeth in parts and then as narrow as 3' in others. But it has the best smallie fishing of any creek I've fished within a 30 mile radius of Dickson .

Piney can be good fishing depending on the section. There are sections heavily used in Hickman county which has some extremely spotty fishing. Yellow Creek is not bad at all. Especially the closer you get to Cumberland City. Great red eye and I've caught a trout down off Maysville road in Dickson county.

holston. smallies.

nsb, fl redfish.

i want to do a tuna/bill, snook/tarpon run. ooooon a fly

I like to buy a couple of dozen of night crawlers and take my younger grandkids(6 -10 year olds) to Cherokee Lake and watch them catch bluegill and occasionally a catfish.

Check out my good friend Chris down in south Florida, Home / Hagwoodusa , he just released a new fish attractant for Salt and fresh water, he's also got a line of survival fire starting materials, as well as natural soap blends that help with all thing stinky and bacteria, I am hoping to soon become a dealer for his product line and would love to send out some samples , if interested shoot me a private message.

And has anyone looked into the mystery tackle box? Or fishing care packages that are becoming the new craze for fishermen!?! I have yet to setup an account for one , I am a real conservative style fisherman that doesn't buy or hoard tackle I will never use.
Goodluck fishing !

For what it's worth I would like it if this thread stayed here. Same as the all things cycling thread or runners thread.

Anyway, I like trout fishing down here in GA. I want to make a trip up to the smoky mountains next spring though to do the same!
Where dp you fish for trout? I live in northeast Georgia, and there's good trout fishing around where I am. That said, I don't do it much, but I do enjoy it.

I have 2 big lakes near me that are excellent for bass and stripers, Hartwell and Lanier. Went to Lanier last week and we caught a ton of spots on rovk crawlers and chatterbait. There's also several very good watershed lakes in this area that have some big bass, and crappie. The chattahoochee is like 10 mins away from 3 different directions. I've had a little luck with bass, and white bass in it. I do miss catching small mouth, haven't seen the first one here, or caught any. Most say there used to be some, but spots have about taken over.

I like spinner baits, and my shadraps, but I love plastics. Idk, something about a worm or lizard when that bass hits. I use a shaky head a lot also, love it.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Love fishing creeks and just grabbing crawfish as I need them, another bait I was never brave enough to catch live was a helgamite but the plastic version also worked well. Prefer catching small mouth but black perch, bluegill, etc are still alot of fun and good tasting. Tried a version of noodling for a brief period and that lasted until I pulled fat cotton mouth out.haha

Helgrammites aren't that bad, just get them behind the head. They're so tough you can fish the same one for a while and not lose it. I thought this quarantine would mean more fishing but it's rained so much every piece of water around here is running generators or spilling.

I have 2 big lakes near me that are excellent for bass and stripers, Hartwell and Lanier. Went to Lanier last week and we caught a ton of spots on rovk crawlers and chatterbait. There's also several very good watershed lakes in this area that have some big bass, and crappie. The chattahoochee is like 10 mins away from 3 different directions. I've had a little luck with bass, and white bass in it. I do miss catching small mouth, haven't seen the first one here, or caught any. Most say there used to be some, but spots have about taken over.
Are those lakes back to 'regular' water levels?

I need them to cut the generators on Norris so I can get my trout fishing on!
I used to fish Norris with generators off? Also on, but just a few holes well below the dam.

I fished there in high school, and they would not be generating at all at day break. You could walk a cross the dry river bed below the dam, There would be a lot of holes below the dam that were full of trout. Fish in a barrel! There was no horn alarm to indicate they were going to release water. Someone would yell three times "water, water, water". Some days I could barely hear the guy, and several people drowned through the years as I recall. When you heard him you got the hel out and headed back to the bank. It seemed like they released water within 2 minutes, and it was quickly high enough (6") so that the holes could not be seen. That was extremely dangerous.
That was mid to late 60s.

I told this to a lady jthat worked in the welcome center about 3 years ago, and she didn't believe me.

I like to fish mountain streams where the population of brookies is carefully managed. I like to fish freshwater rivers, ponds, lakes & impounds. I like to fish brackish estuaries on the coasts. I enjoy salt water flats, trolling near weed lines in the blue water, reefs, wrecks, and drop offs. For light to medium tackle, my favorite utile rig is spin cast. I'll use lures, live & cut bait. For fresh and brackish water, a 3/8ths oz jig head with curly tail is penultimately useful - straight or varied retrieve, doodle on the bottom, bob 'n' bounce near structure. Of course, it's best to know what your target fish is eating at the time, but, artificial lures are great for exploring new water.

holston. smallies.

nsb, fl redfish.

i want to do a tuna/bill, snook/tarpon run. ooooon a fly

I think they become "redfish" about the SC-GA line or maybe a little north. It's crazy. Farther north, "whiting" are "sea mullet," and "redfish" are "red drum," "spottails," or "puppy drum." A friend of mine goes after them sightcasting with a flyrod.

I'm in East TN. I like the fly and float thing at SH and floating the North Fork. If you can find purple rooster tails in 1/4 oz. with gold blade, that's the bait I prefer for the river (over grampus, in fact). I also like Copper Creek (VA) and Clinch River. I don't know if Worden's makes those anymore. Flounder will gobble those up, too.

About 10 years ago, I saw a guy near the mouth of Hog Inlet at Cherry Grove, SC, wade across the channel at low tide with a fly rod and about five minutes in, he hooked a tarpon. I'd never heard of tarpon that far north. I've ALWAYS wanted to fish for snook in southern FL, but the only places I've ever fished in Florida are around Daytona (surf), Englewood Beach near Port Charlotte (back side of surf on the bay, my first time ever with live shrimp), and near Pensacola (surf and pier). When I win the lottery, my lottery house will be around Gulf Breeze, FL. HA

Just noticed your username. Those JCs are like fighting a tank when they get larger. When I used to fish a lot in the Carolinas, I'd try to show people the difference between a juvi JC and a juvi pomp, but sometimes they couldn't get it just right. I'd tell them, well, cut it open and you'll know really quickly. Now with pomps and permits, it can get a little tricky, especially the larger they get. But a JC and a pomp, well, it's crazy to me they can be in the same family. HAHA

Edit: I just see that I replied to a going-on-6-year post. HA

I like to fish mountain streams where the population of brookies is carefully managed. I like to fish freshwater rivers, ponds, lakes & impounds. I like to fish brackish estuaries on the coasts. I enjoy salt water flats, trolling near weed lines in the blue water, reefs, wrecks, and drop offs. For light to medium tackle, my favorite utile rig is spin cast. I'll use lures, live & cut bait. For fresh and brackish water, a 3/8ths oz jig head with curly tail is penultimately useful - straight or varied retrieve, doodle on the bottom, bob 'n' bounce near structure. Of course, it's best to know what your target fish is eating at the time, but, artificial lures are great for exploring new water.

I keep a rod in my car and a box with grubs and leadheads, just because I never know when I'll get the urge. HAHA

Reactions: Tin Man
I used to fish Norris with generators off? Also on, but just a few holes well below the dam.

I fished there in high school, and they would not be generating at all at day break. You could walk a cross the dry river bed below the dam, There would be a lot of holes below the dam that were full of trout. Fish in a barrel! There was no horn alarm to indicate they were going to release water. Someone would yell three times "water, water, water". Some days I could barely hear the guy, and several people drowned through the years as I recall. When you heard him you got the hel out and headed back to the bank. It seemed like they released water within 2 minutes, and it was quickly high enough (6") so that the holes could not be seen. That was extremely dangerous.
That was mid to late 60s.

I told this to a lady jthat worked in the welcome center about 3 years ago, and she didn't believe me.
I fish Hiwassee and if you’re not right beside the powerhouse you can’t hear the alarm. There are maps online that show how long it takes one or two generators to reach certain points on the river so I set my watch to give myself time to get back across. Some parts are close to 300 yards wide and if you get caught on the far bank it’s a long walk down the train tracks to get back to the road. Two generators goes from mid calf to mid thigh in a couple minutes, that and not being able to see holes would make wading back incredibly dangerous.

Reactions: tbh
I think they become "redfish" about the SC-GA line or maybe a little north. It's crazy. Farther north, "whiting" are "sea mullet," and "redfish" are "red drum," "spottails," or "puppy drum." A friend of mine goes after them sightcasting with a flyrod.

I'm in East TN. I like the fly and float thing at SH and floating the North Fork. If you can find purple rooster tails in 1/4 oz. with gold blade, that's the bait I prefer for the river (over grampus, in fact). I also like Copper Creek (VA) and Clinch River. I don't know if Worden's makes those anymore. Flounder will gobble those up, too.

About 10 years ago, I saw a guy near the mouth of Hog Inlet at Cherry Grove, SC, wade across the channel at low tide with a fly rod and about five minutes in, he hooked a tarpon. I'd never heard of tarpon that far north. I've ALWAYS wanted to fish for snook in southern FL, but the only places I've ever fished in Florida are around Daytona (surf), Englewood Beach near Port Charlotte (back side of surf on the bay, my first time ever with live shrimp), and near Pensacola (surf and pier). When I win the lottery, my lottery house will be around Gulf Breeze, FL. HA

Just noticed your username. Those JCs are like fighting a tank when they get larger. When I used to fish a lot in the Carolinas, I'd try to show people the difference between a juvi JC and a juvi pomp, but sometimes they couldn't get it just right. I'd tell them, well, cut it open and you'll know really quickly. Now with pomps and permits, it can get a little tricky, especially the larger they get. But a JC and a pomp, well, it's crazy to me they can be in the same family. HAHA

Edit: I just see that I replied to a going-on-6-year post. HA
**** me. south carolina.

I like it, but it aint Florida. Hearing that, backwoods accent saying 'puppah drum'. First State to secede. Crazy.

Had a fly shop worker tell me there's fishable water in HHI at a trail. People lookin' at me like im nuts. Flip flops, 6 wt., Shrimp imitation. 3 mi in. No water.

Dont care for SC. Higher elevation.

NSB is great. Would love to live there. close enough to Sebastian, Keys, Everglades, and Tarpon Pass.

As long as there is brackish water there's resident tarpon. they follow the green mullet run annually from keys. some stay.

Permit is the prize for some folks on a fly. i'm just happy with a big red, black, or even jack. i dont care. its all about the fight. my bucket list is cobia or blue fin on fly.

when you say spot you mean croaker or weakfish?

some people thumb their noses at surf fishing. man it can be fun. hooked some big fish. some folks have it to an art. theyll row the bait out passed the breakers then fish

VN Store

Back