Ever Saved a Life?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Last week was the 1 year anniversary of my Dad suffering cardiac arrest. He was miraculously saved by 3 strangers.

Somewhat poetically, last week I got to pay it forward a bit by successfully administering the Heimlech (sp?) maneuver to a friend who was choking on steak.

Not that what I did was nearly as heroic or skillful (and there were a few others there who could have done what I did, had I not got to her first), but it made me feel pretty good.

So, who here has played a part in saving a life? I'd like to hear stories.

When a moth flies into the house I make several efforts to shoo it outside, until I become impatient.

Reactions: 4 people
I saved a kid from drowning when I was younger. He was caught in the river, and I had to pull him out.

Reactions: 1 person
I was a lifeguard for years. Saved quite a few. Also saved my sister from the exact same thing - my sister was choking on a steak and I did the Heimlich maneuver on her.

My middle son is 6 years old and he's been trying to kill himself since he could walk. I've saved him 1,487 times. Does that count?

Last week was the 1 year anniversary of my Dad suffering cardiac arrest. He was miraculously saved by 3 strangers.

Somewhat poetically, last week I got to pay it forward a bit by successfully administering the Heimlech (sp?) maneuver to a friend who was choking on steak.

Not that what I did was nearly as heroic or skillful (and there were a few others there who could have done what I did, had I not got to her first), but it made me feel pretty good.

So, who here has played a part in saving a life? I'd like to hear stories.

I almost died choking on a hot dog at a royals game back in 04. Easily the most freaked out I have ever been.

Saved a girl, about 4 years old from getting hit by a car at lax. She would have gotten destroyed. The look on her parents faces was priceless.

Saved a boy once that was drowning in a swimming pool down in Daytona Beach. I was dressed going to a beach party & jumped in without a thought to help out.

I've never saved a life. My wife had to have hers saved though. On her first business trip at a previous job, her boss had to give her the Heimlich at a sushi bar.

If I have learned one thing here, it is I am going to start to chew my food more before swallowing...that chewing thing sounds important.

I drove and TC'd the truck(HMMWV) to get a guy to the CSH(cash) in Baghdad. I had that sucker pegged.

The medic was my driver but he was with the casualty in the back.

So I didn't directly save anyone but I contributed.

Grabbed my deaf friend as she was stepping backwards into traffic. Nothing too special.

We can say that you've had your lives saved twice? Interesting.

(FYI, I know what you're referencing and it was clearly a post designed to accumulate likes......bit sad IMO but ho hum.)

Truth hurts huh?

We had a call almost two years ago. Guy was driving with his wife, went into cardiac arrest and she was able to get their vehicle pulled over. We got there, drug him out of their van and into the ambulance, and he's not breathing and had no pulse. We shocked him three times, while also putting in an IO for giving meds and intubating him to secure an airway, and we got pulses back. Due to weather, we couldn't get a helicopter, so we had to transport by ground, which made for another hour that we'd be with him. He coded again during transport, which got another defibrillation, we got pulses back again, and made it on to the hospital without any other issues. He was discharged home less than a week later with no deficits and is doing well still today.

Another time, we were having lunch at a restaurant when I heard/noticed that a toddler at the next table over was choking and the parents were starting to freak out. I snatched him up, cradled him face down in one arm and gave him back blows until the large bite of chicken tender hit the floor and he was good. I handed him back to dad and went back to my meal. Gotta eat while you have time! (When we went to pay, the dad had covered our meals, so that was a nice gesture.)

Riding home with one of my buddies after we had got off work, "3rd shift " I noticed we were heading right into a barricade at about 70 mph. I grabbed the steering wheel and disaster was averted.

I've had plenty of experiences, especially as a Resident in the delivery room, ER, or ICU. The hardest thing is that there are some you just can't help.

Just going to say that if you have often have difficulty swallowing, feel like food is about to become stuck in your throat or esophagus, or frequent acid reflux...go to the damn doctor already.

The feeling that you are choking / about to choke is terrifying.

Sophomore at UTK, had a class with a guy who'd never been laid. Took 3 weeks, lots of booze, and hanging with some chubby chicks, but I finally got him laid.

Does that count?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back