I-40/Douglas Lake Bridge east of Knoxville

There's no real detour that I'm aware of. The only options would be to go through Chestnut Hill and out through Sevierville, or the other way towards Newport and I-40.

Still one lane? Detour?

No real good detours.

You could get off of I40 and take 70 between Newport and Dandridge.

Or you can take 411 between Sevierville and Newport, not bad if you are staying in the mountains for the weekend of the game, but a bit out of the way otherwise.

Last one take 25E between Newport and I 81 in White Pine (exit 4 or exit 8)

Not sure any really save you any time though.

You could always get off exit 432 and take hwy 70 through Dandridge if the interstate is backed up. Not sure that would save much time unless the interstate is a parking lot.

Saturday morning at 9am won't be that bad, right? Sure the game crowd, but that'll be about it.

I could just rent one of these:

boat-car-aquada.jpg

Coming west on I40, just take the marked detour for oversized vehicles. You can either get back on 40 west at exit 424, continue on through Dandridge and get on at the 417 or you can turn onto US70 and travel the backroads all the way to Downtown Knoxville.

Coming east, the best detour is to either exit at either 415 or 417 and go through Dandridge and get back on I40 east at 432. I can confirm that it adds no miles to your trip and takes only 5-10 minutes longer than the interstate.

The construction project was scheduled to take 2 years. They are about 1 year in.

Last edited:
I came thru westbound yesterday at 3 and didn't have to touch the brakes. No line at all just well moving traffic

I came thru westbound yesterday at 3 and didn't have to touch the brakes. No line at all just well moving traffic

The worst days are Friday and Saturday. Sundays can be tough as well, but nothing like Friday and Saturday.

Although with summer winding down and school back in session, weekend travel is falling off rapidly.

VN Store

Back