HTC One (M8) vs. Galaxy S5

gatorhater5

Senior VFL
I am trying to decide between which new phone that I will get. I text often. So, battery life is a big factor. It will be used for the occasional picture.

Basically, I want a phone that I can check my email and run a few apps with no trouble and a good battery life.

Which should I choose?

Last edited:
Don't get the S5. Great battery life, great camera, great features. But you'll want an iPhone within four weeks. If you still love it after four weeks, give it another week. If you find yourself still loving it, you'll definitely hate after another week. Don't fret if you're still waiting to hate it after three months. We've been assured eventually you'll hate it and want an iPhone.

Reactions: 6 people
Don't get the S5. Great battery life, great camera, great features. But you'll want an iPhone within four weeks. If you still love it after four weeks, give it another week. If you find yourself still loving it, you'll definitely hate after another week. Don't fret if you're still waiting to hate it after three months. We've been assured eventually you'll hate it and want an iPhone.

quote of the day

S5. Water resistant, better camera. HTC has amazing speakers so watching videos and listening to music is great, but that doesn't sound like a big consideration for you.

Lolol

I am going to. I just wanted to get some opinions from other people to see what they preferred.

Understand, but everyone will have their own opinions the best one is your own. Just from experience with these kinds of things, but yes definitely go to Verizon and test drive them personally.

I chose the HTC M8 over the S5. If they had led with the active I may have went with it. Not many complaints about either phone, tbh though. I personally like the design and sound the M8 provides.

Deciding between these + the iPhone 6

Seems like a tossup.

It comes down to preference. All are good phones.

I think the M8 is solid and it's well constructed, but I don't like the way it feels in my hand. It feels tall/slim compared to the s5 and I don't particularly like the rounded sides.

The Note is still my favorite Android device.

I prefer a smaller phone. I just now read about the Samsung Galaxy Alpha... maybe I'll just wait for that to be released and see which I like better.

My wife just got the S5 and I just got the LG G3 (I hope nobody freaks out about me mentioning a phone not in the thread title). We both love our phones.

The only notable advantage with the Samsung is that the camera is better (but not by much). I have twice as much storage, a bigger screen on the same size phone, and it has no buttons on the face. It's more ergonomic. You turn it on with a double-tap. Maybe sounds insignificant, but it's really cool in practice.

There are a ton of new phones coming out later this month. I would wait until those get released and then make a decision.

I'm probably going to get the new Moto X. Can't stand the skins Samsung puts on their phones.

Nothing beats stock Android.

There are a ton of new phones coming out later this month. I would wait until those get released and then make a decision.

I'm probably going to get the new Moto X. Can't stand the skins Samsung puts on their phones.

Get a nexus then. I like stock android skin and the voice activated features, but other than that, Motorola hardware is awful.

The new moto x is going to be excellent I believe. I was going to get the OLD moto X a few months ago until I saw the M8. Motorolla makes the best damn antennas of anything

Bummer. Then yeah, Moto X is the closest you'll get.

Yeah. I love the Nexus phones too. In fact, I'm still using my Galaxy Nexus, which is damn near 3 years old now. Ancient for a smartphone. It's painfully slow, so upgrading to any modern phone will probably be a huge jump for me.

Yeah. I love the Nexus phones too. In fact, I'm still using my Galaxy Nexus, which is damn near 3 years old now. Ancient for a smartphone. It's painfully slow, so upgrading to any modern phone will probably be a huge jump for me.

I never sold that model, but if my memory serves it doesn't even do HSPA+ so any phone you get is going to do better than what you have on its lowest setting pretty much.

I never sold that model, but if my memory serves it doesn't even do HSPA+ so any phone you get is going to do better than what you have on its lowest setting pretty much.

Verizon never had hspa+. They went straight from 3G to LTE

I'm an Apple guy but at the Verizon store the other day I played with the both the Galaxy S5 and the HTC ONE M-8. I liked the feel of the HTC a lot more. Just seemed like a sturdier device.

VN Store

Back